Texas’ new head football coach is Charlie Strong, who recently took the Longhorn job after a successful four seasons at Louisville. I have heard a number of people in the media make fun of Texas for hiring a coach with Strong’s less-than-big-time resume. Many believe he’s not a big enough name for the position. They seem to forget that Mack Brown came to Texas from North Carolina.

A list of Texas team rules called “Strong Expectations” was leaked today on barkingcarnival.com. I don’t know if Strong is going to win at Texas or not but I sure like the way he is going about his new job. Read on for Coach Strong’s new team rules in OTC format…

1) “Players will attend all of their classes and sit in the front two rows of all of their classes. GAs, academic folks, position coaches will be checking constantly now.”
GH: I haven’t been to class at Texas but I am going to bet this is about as big a change to happen to their classrooms since electricity hit campus. Where do/did the football players sit at your school?

2) “No headphones in class. No texting in class. Sit up and take notes.”
GH: Do students really where headphones in class? WTF?

3) “If a player misses a class, he runs until it hurts. If he misses two classes, his entire position unit runs. If he misses three, the position coach runs. The position coaches don’t want to run.”
GH: I have NEVER heard of a coach punishing a position coach for a kid missing class. I LOVE this rule!

4) “No earrings in the football building. No drugs. No stealing. No guns. Treat women with respect.”
GH: Pretty damn simple, ain’t it? Although I’m not sure I’d place earring wearing on the same level as drugs, stealing, guns and wife beating.

5) “Players may not live off campus anymore, unless they’re a senior who hits certain academic standards. The University will buy out the leases for every player currently living off campus and put them in the athletic dorm.”
GH: Where else can the head football coach just declare, “The University will buy out the leases for every player currently living off campus…” like he’s ordering a pizza?

6) “The team will all live together, eat together, suffer together, and hang out together. They will become a true team and learn to impose accountability on each other. The cliques are over.”
GH: This sounds like a shot at Mack Brown’s program. I don’t know how a head coach can kill cliques on a team roster that sports 125 players. But I’m betting Strong will get it done.

7) “There’s no time for a rebuild. ‘I don’t have time for that.’ The expectation is that Texas wins now.”
GH: I soooo wanted Charlie to write, “Ain’t nobody got time for dat!” But I guess that would have detracted from his academic message.

8) “Players will learn that they would rather practice than milk a minor injury.”
GH: I think I saw this same rule while watching “Friday Night Tykes” last night.

9) “The focus is on winning and graduating. Anything extraneous to that is a distraction and will be stamped out or removed.”
GH: I do not think it is a coincidence that Charlie did not place these two points of emphasis in alphabetical order.

10) “Strong met individually with seniors and key leaders and re-emphasized that the plan is to win now. They can lead the new culture or be run over by it.”
GH: I would have loved to been in on that meeting. Sounds like Charlie told them, “You can be part of the solution or remain part of the problem.” Hook ‘em!

11) “I don’t want to talk about things. I’d rather do things. We just talked. Now it’s time to do.”
Charlie Strong

and Twitter @greghall24

29 Responses to OTC: Charlie Strong Has A New Set Of Rules For Texas Football – And They’re Winners!

1. Kyle Rohde says:

I love him. That whole list is fabulous.

2. GB says:

Bill Snyder may have a similar approach to things which is a good thing. The bad thing comes during recruiting when Stud Player who has Texas, Alabama, LSU and Oklahoma on their radar looks at this and says: “No Thanks” I’ll go to one of the other top football schools and not have all these rules that no college aged kid wants to have forced on them.

4a) You can pick up your earrings, guns, drugs and stolen items AFTER you leave the football building, apparently. Good rule.

4. Kyle says:

But he might hurt somebody’s feelings. Doesn’t Charlie know that the feelings and ego’s of the “student athletes” come first today?

5. KSBugeater says:

I see two outcomes from this, and I find both favorable to me.
    1. Texas will get their act together, and stop underperforming. (I might be able to stomach a clean-cut, do-the-right-thing Texas.) Other schools will follow suit in not kowtowing to star players and holding them academically responsible.
    2. Star players will avoid UT like the plague (or like KU under Gill’s rules) and the Longhorns will be plunged into at least half a decade of mediocrity.
    Thanks for bringing these to our attention, Greg.

6. KC Res says:

Strong has spectacular flameout written all over him.

7. From the barracks’ head, Gunny Hartman and Gomer Pyle voice no objection to punishing others to motivate the slacker (#3).

8. rkcal says:

GH: Do students really where headphones in class? WTF?
    Yes, it’s a big damn problem-college and HS. (I’m a HS teacher). So much depends on what expectations have been set. If this is a complete culture change, admin and boosters need to have his back, or he won’t last two seasons. Good luck, Charlie.

9. Biff says:

Turner Gill said some of the same things when he came to KU. Then players didn’t attend classes, did not do conditioning and weight lifting etc. Gill was over his head an lost control. . We will see. I thought TX would get someone better. TX may be too big for Strong.

10. P says:

It’ll be interesting to see how this works out. Sure, they’ll probably miss out on a few studs in the recruiting wars but the guys who are there will be there because they want to be there. Could lead to a team with an edge that plays more for the emblem on the helmet than the vehicle to the next level.

• Xavier Joe says:

Great response I totally agree… When was the last time you saw Stanford on the top 10 recruiting list? But, they always seem to put a well coached, tough, discipline product on the field.. Not to mention you’re recruiting kids to come to Austin, totally different animal than trying to get recruits hyped about living in Lawrence, Kansas for four years…(referring to comments about Turner Gill)

11. JFP says:

Texas has the most spoiled players in the game. If they don’t take Charlie seriously, then that’s that.

12. Phaedrus says:

I find it amusing that coaches make such a big deal out of missing classes. They get punished for being a normal college kid, yet how many classes will they miss due to games being scheduled on weeknights? How many more classes will they miss because they have to travel to Morgantown, WV rather than College Station, TX?

• yuri says:

All the more reason to attend the classes that you can.

• Phaedrus says:

I think you missed my point. Making a big deal about attending classes is just for show. What do you think Charlie would say if a player asked to miss practice (or,heaven forbid, a game) because he needed to study for a test, work on a presentation, etc.?

If coaches truly cared about academics, they’d make sure players actually learned something and didn’t major in “general studies” so they could take all the “keep athletes eligible” classes.

13. john doe says:

Texas recruits on their name alone. If Stud A doesn’t want to come because of these rules, then Stud B will. An emphasis on not being a criminal and going to class is a novel idea. I wish these were NCAA-wide rules.

Missing an occasional class might be the biggest problem, but even non athletes suffer from that

14. Guy Who Says What Others Think says:

Wonder how many more recruits this drives to Texas A&M?

15. Ryan Bennion says:

what happens if you have married students? Do they have to live on campus too?

16. MightyMo says:

I hope it works. The state produces enough top talent to fuel en entire football conference, so all Charlie needs to do is throw in some solid coordinating and coaching for this to be an annual 10 – win program.

17. Harry Balczak says:

Where headphones?

18. Brummy says:

These rules were leaked huh? Right

Rah, rah! Go team!

19. Kerouac says:

Famous last words, Strong’s… beyond said, an excellent in-season W/L record, if a lukewarm post (if he says “there’s a gleam men, there’s a gleam!” then I’ll believe in reincarnation)

20. John Geitner says:

This all sounds like Pat Summit, and we all know where those kinds of rules got her.