“The Broncos lost to St. Louis and the @KCChiefs just beat the Suberbowl Champs. I don’t smoke, but pass me a Camel.”
Chris Stigall, @ChrisStigall, Twitter

“Three or four weeks ago we’re talking about Denver running away with the division and locking up home-field advantage…now all of a sudden Kansas City is in position to win that division.”
Howie Long, studio analyst, Fox

“A lot going on! It is a jammed-packed sports year (in Kansas City). Are the Royals going to dominate it? I don’t know, the way the Chiefs are going – could they actually knock the Royals off as the story of the year?”
Soren Petro, 810 AM
GH: This is how crazy it has become here in Kansas City – better known as the land of professional losers. The Royals come within an Alex Gordon mad-dash to the plate of winning the World Series and now the Chiefs knock off the defending Super Bowl champs to place themselves in a first-place tie in the AFC West with the Broncos. Global Warming might be a myth but it appears Kansas City is on fire!

“We’re watching greatness. We are talking about one of the greatest Kansas City Chiefs of all time. … The other part was the blocking. I thought the whole offensive line was spectacular yesterday.”
Jay Binkley, on Jamaal Charles, 610 AM
GH: Jimmy Johnson reminded the Fox national audience Sunday that Charles is the all-time leading yards-per-carry running back in NFL history – ahead of the legendary Jim Brown. You know what I’m saying?

“The only thing about (Jamaal Charles) is can he stay healthy. He’s not a big strong guy and of course, protecting the ball.”
Jimmy Johnson, on the Chiefs All-Pro running back, Fox
GH: Size is not the best indicator of a running back’s ability to stay healthy. It is one of the most physically demanding occupations in this country and there is just no way to prevent the eventual injuries that are bound to claim Charles or any NFL starting running back – despite their stature. Think about this – Carl Peterson drafted Charles. Yeah, the kid from Texas has been pretty darn sturdy in his seven seasons in the NFL.

“Looks smaller on film than the 6-1, 205 pounds Texas lists him as. … Has struggled at times with fumbles, including a key lost fumble in a 28-21 loss to rival Oklahoma in 2007. … At his best in the open field. … Not a particularly physical back who will run over defenders in the hole. … Willing, but limited pass blocker.”
Draft analysis on Jamaal Charles prior to 2006 NFL draft, NFL.com G
H: I think the draft gurus missed on Charles’ overall ability to play football. He is one of the game’s greatest running backs and also a physical blocker in pass protection. I am not sure there has been a running back who combined running and blocking with equal greatness. The list is likely a short one.

“You know exactly what position (Anthony Sherman aka The Sausage) plays when he walks into the room. I thought he was Jay Glazer when I first met him. He speaks the same way and he looks just like him with a little bit more muscle.”
Daryl Johnston, NFL color analyst for the Seahwaks/Chiefs game Sunday, on the Chiefs fullback, Fox
GH: I think the former Cowboy, Johnston, does a nice job as a TV analyst. He was timely with his comments on Sunday and he added some personality to Kenny Albert’s overly stiff play-by-play.

“Still no rushing touchdowns.”
Tony Siragusa, NFL sideline reporter, on the Chiefs not giving up a rushing touchdown yet this season, Fox
GH: This is an incredible stat by the Chiefs defense. It is now mid-November and the Chiefs’ end zone has yet to be dented by a rushing TD. Marshawn Lynch is called Beastmode for a reason. He is one of the most physical backs to play in the NFL since Earl Campbell’s massive thighs destroyed defenses. On Sunday he did just about everything BUT get into the end zone. The Chiefs defense is more than legit. It took the Seahawks best shots from Lynch and Russell Wilson – and they were both spectacular Sunday – and came away a winner. Wow.

“To be honest, this was a hard-fought game today. The Chiefs played some real good ball, on offense and defense. Sometimes the ball just doesn’t bounce your way.”
Marshawn Lynch, NFL.com
GH: Some consider Lynch a villain but I love this guy’s heart. I thought he was done for the day when he was getting his legs worked on during halftime and the Fox camera showed him grimace in pain. But he never slowed – until the Chiefs forced him to the ground inside the two yard line. Twice.

“They have a defense! They have a really GOOD defense! They still haven’t given up a rushing touchdown all season.”
Michael Strahan, Fox

“We just got to learn how to finish at the end of games. The offense should be able to close these games out. The defense if playing great. We know how to start the game we just need to finish.”
Jamaal Charles, 610 AM

“I think you can take that week-one game (loss to Tennessee) and say that was the reset button for this organization.”
Bob Fescoe, on the Chiefs losing their season opener to the Titans, 610 AM
GH: Maybe the Chiefs loss to the Titans is similar to the Royals getting swept by Boston coming off the All-Star break. Just when we think the season is lost, the heavens open and visions of greatness dance in our heads. Welcome to the new Kansas City.

“My (Twitter) timeline is full of nonsense. I’m not saying Alex Smith is bad. I’m just saying that Alex Smith is not the main reason they are winning. … I can make the argument that Andy Reid makes Alex Smith.”
Jay Binkley, 610 AM
GH: What I like about the 610 crew is that they feel comfortable in publicly digging each other about their opinions. Binkley caught hell from some of this on-air coworkers about his takes on the Chiefs quarterback and he went on his show to defend himself. Does anyone at 810 ever publicly make fun of Kevin Kietzman? Why is that do you think?

“Undeterred by the @OTLonESPN report I’ve had pot roast, bbq chicken, corn, potatoes, and 2 brownies in the Arrowhead press box so far.”
Danny Parkins, @DannyParkins, on his trip to Arrowhead Sunday, Twitter
GH: Just a wild guess but I don’t think the food in Arrowhead’s press box is prepared the same as what the guy in section 341 is buying. Did anybody else see a vendor selling pot roast?

“Kansas University athletic director Sheahon Zenger’s phone rings. He answers it. Consultant Chuck Neinas says, “Sheahon, Chuck,” Let’s make a deal. I’ll donate $25,000 to charity, pocket the other $25,000 to cover taxes, etc., and let’s call the whole thing off. What do you say?” Zenger: “Great. We’ll send an airplane to bring you here for a Monday press conference so that you can bring attention to the charity of your choice.” It seems like the reasonable thing to do on everybody’s part.”
Tom Keegan, columnist, following Kansas gritty 34-30 loss to sixth-ranked TCU, LJworld.com
GH: Zenger hired Chuck Neinas to find him some head football coaching candidates – but it appears the best man for the job already has it. Read on.

“Maybe from the outside there aren’t reasons to be (proud of KU football), and I could understand how people see that. I have always been proud to be a Jayhawk. However, there has been a new sense of pride and enthusiasm about being here. It’s great and it’s refreshing and it’s totally with coach Bowen. … It feels right for everyone involved. It doesn’t take long to be around this place to say, ‘You know what, that works.’ There is something about it. I can’t put my finger on it. It’s not readily apparent to me I guess, but it’s something. It’s there.”
Trent Smiley, KU senior tight end, LJworld.com

“Losing on Saturday might be better for Kansas in the long run. If KU had managed to beat TCU on Saturday, Kansas fans would have been beating down Sheahon Zenger’s door to hire Clint Bowen immediately. … Bowen might be KU’s guy. He might not be. That decision will be easier to make with more data to process and more candidates to talk to after the season. A win on Saturday might have either a) forced Kansas to make a popular decision largely on emotion and a limited sample size or b) forced Kansas to a decision unpopular with fans and players to not remove the interim tag from Bowen’s title.”
David Ubben, columnist, foxsports.com
GH: It mattered little that Kansas did not win against TCU, David. This coaching search is over.

“The university hasn’t always exhibited a great deal of self-esteem in regard to its football program. No louder way of reversing that inferiority complex exists than believing in one of your own, believing your eyes, which are telling you that there is no better fit for the job than the guy who has it, even if your ears don’t want to hear it.”
Tom Keegan, LJworld.com

“Nebraska was 20th in the nation in Rush Defense heading into (Saturday). They’re now 73rd.”
Dave Revsine, @BTNDaveRevsine, after Wisconsin’s Melvin Gordon gashed the Huskers for an NCAA record 408 yards in three quarters, Twitter
GH: Nebraska football has been fooling their incredibly faithful fan base with false hope for more than a decade now. Their failure against ranked teams has nothing to do with what conference they play in because they were equally inept when still a member of the Big 12. It appears Bo Pelini cannot be embarrassed. He excused this latest crushing loss at Wisconsin to “just one game.” It is one game that seems to happen every time NU plays a team ranked in the top 20.

“Somehow, someway, the Missouri Tigers still lead the SEC East Division and with two games remaining (at Tennessee, vs. Arkansas) they still can weave their way back to Atlanta for the 2014 SEC Championship Game. This despite the deplorable efforts versus Georgia and Indiana earlier in the season.”
Christopher Novak, SEC writer, after Mizzou’s 34-27 win at Texas A&M, SBNation.com GH: Mizzou was embarrassed twice this season but both those losses came early. It is now November – when good teams win and pretenders lose. Both Tennessee and Arkansas will be tough tests for the Tigers but Gary Pinkel’s team just might be getting better at the right time of the season.

“Friday night was an embarrassment. I’m not taking anything away from UMKC — they played great — but to lose at home in that first game, I think (it made) our guys somewhat tentative. I think they were nervous. And they played through it by playing good defense.” Kim Anderson, Missouri’s head basketball coach, after his Tigers beat Valpo 56-41 Sunday evening, Kansas City Star
GH: There will be other big wins this season for Anderson’s team but maybe none more important that the win Sunday night over respectable Valpo. Anderson’s Columbia honeymoon didn’t even last one half when UMKC took it to his Tigers from the start Friday night. The Valpo win could not have come at a better time.

“I don’t think we’re going to be real pretty. We might be later on, but right now, we’re not.” Kim Anderson, Kansas City Star
GH: Pretty sells basketball tickets, as does wins. It looks like both will be in short supply at Mizzou Arena this season.

and @greghall24

79 Responses to OTC: Chiefs Stonewall Seahawks & Take Over AFC West / Is KU’s FB Coaching Search Over? / Kim Anderson’s Honeymoon Cut Short By Roos

1. Ptolemy says:

“Global Warming might be a myth but it appears Kansas City is on fire!”

Might?

Count me among the fans that want Zenger to hire Bowen. I was worried that his name wasn’t big enough, that he didn’t have enough contacts, that he wasn’t enough…something.

But at a minimum it’s clear that he cares about this job. He’s probably the most loyal Jayhawk ever (with apologies to Don Fambrough) and he might be the one guy in the whole wide world who would sign a contract with no intent or expectation that this job would be a steppingstone to some other gig. We know he will value Kansas high school kids, which is something that has been lacking for awhile now. Bowen can’t make things any worse, but it certainly does FEEL like he’s making things better.

• mike t. says:

gavin, we’re not in the locker room, meetings, practices, etc., but if a player is saying ‘something’ is different and things are ‘better’, then that’s worth listening to. and, as evidenced Saturday, they’re playing better. going toe-to-toe with the #5 team in the country and damn near pulling off what would have been the biggest upset of the year, says to me things are working and it IS better, doesn’t just ‘feel’ that way.

all that said, and with all due credit to coach bowen, I’d still like to see more. I totally agree with you that he no doubts bleeds crimson and blue and wouldn’t be looking at this job as a steppingstone (and we’d get him for way less than some of the hotter prospects out there), but what about his ability to recruit? and… he still needs to get this team to win.

he’s the one to beat I think, but there’s still some season left. let’s see how he finishes.

• Gavin says:

All very reasonable points. I admit that it’s possible I’m getting a little over excited over what has to be our best two week. Since…? Mangino?

• Juan Pablo says:

KU fans need to let the rest of the year play out. See how he does vs OU and KSU. I agree he doing great now. if KU can find some home run hire for a coach and maybe keep Bowen on the staff that would be better.

• Gavin says:

The only problem with that is we won’t be able to identify a home run until several years after he’s been here. Nick Saban isn’t coming here. That means we have to take a chance on somebody who has a lot of promise and may turn out to be very good. It is just as possible he won’t.

Bxut I see the point about waiting until the end of the year. Which is, I am sure, what will happen.

• mike t. says:

Zenger is going to wait, I’m quite sure. And he’ll make use of that consultant – whose opinion I don’t trust all that much. But he is going to look and be diligent about it. Zenger HAS to get this one right or his ass is on the line.

If Bowen finishes strong, it makes it easier on both of them. Zenger gets a popular choice that won’t cost much and is a (now) known entity that shows tremendous promise. Bowen gets a dream job that he won’t be eager to trade up from and more money.

In that scenario, Bowen gets two or three seasons, maybe four, to further prove himself without a lot of risk to the school (or Zenger).

KU is never likely to be a powerhouse football program like they are in basketball. To be competitive in the B12 season after season, whup on KSU now and then, get a bowl now and then and the fans and boosters will be happy.

• Gavin says:

Absolutely, completely 100% agreed on all counts. Except it may be that I trust Chuck Neinas a little more than you. He is/was an old Big 8 guy from way back. He was the guy who filled in after Dan Beebe left the conference before they got Bowlsby.

I’m also glad that Zenger may be considering the possibility that if he goes it alone, he’s flirting with disaster. He made the Weis hire with no outside opinion or consultation (at least that we know of). I realize that a consulting firm was what got us into bed with Al Bohl, but having a guy who understands the lay of the land and has an enormous Rolodex (and, yes, he’s old enough that I would wager he actually has a real Rolodex) and can call lots of people to gauge interest is helpful.

Because you are exactly right about Zenger. He screws this one up, his ass is on the line.

• Kyle Rohde says:

If KU hires the right coach, there is no reason they can’t become a perennially good program. Is there really that much difference between KU and Missouri, Wisconsin, Rutgers, Kansas State, etc. when it comes to the basics of what you need to have a successful program? Every situation is unique but the differences between those schools I listed aren’t so massive that KU can’t hope/expect to win 6+ games a year consistently, like they do. Mangino was on his way there before it all fell apart. I may have rose-colored glasses a bit, but I don’t think I’m too far off base here.

All that said, I think you have to give Bowen a couple years to prove he’s the guy. If it works out, you’re set for 20 years. If it doesn’t, nobody will say it wasn’t a good hire and you’re no worse off than you are right now.

• Juan Pablo says:

I agree , KSU and MU have been lucky as they have had good coaches that have stayed at the school.. I will be hard for those schools to find coaches that will do the same. In total wins and losses KU is even with MU and has dominated KSU .
                When KU was wining the stadium was sold out and big money was coming in. Hope KU finds a coach that can do it again. KU may be a sleeping giant in football

• Gavin says:

I’ve been preaching that particular gospel for years, Kyle. For some reason, whatever it is, we are snake bit and have been doomed to have the occasional good year but never do it consistently. I even think Mangino was falling off the pace and if Perkins hadn’t fired him, he’d have been gone I within four or five years anyway. And they STILL would’ve been better years than we got from Gill and Weis.

But I agree, that there’s no reason we can’t be better and consistently so. But this next hire is about as critical as it can get. If Zenger screws the pooch again, that will take us to nearly a full decade of consistent suck, when the next guy is finished. And if you take out the Mangino bright spot, it will be nearly twenty years of pure, unadulterated misery. In the last thirty or so years (I.e., since Mike Gottfried), the bright spots have been the Mason tenure, (and he clearly demonstrated his loyalty) and Mangino. But since Mike Gottfried, what have we had? Bob Valesente. Terry Allen. Turner Gill. Charlie Weis. The odds of finding such a string of absolutely shitty coaches with so very few bright spots have got to be astronomical. I know, I’m not giving Mason and Mangino enough credit, but it almost seems like they’d have better luck picking a name from a hat.

• HARLEY 2 says:

please hire bowen. He’ll make mangino/Charlie look like geniuses!
                6 win seasons mean nothing in the big 12. worthless football league..weak basketball league.
                MIZ ZOU….we’re the big boys now in the Midwest!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. b12 says:

Man, the Chiefs are fun to watch. The last two weeks have been as good a football games as you could hope to see…and it appears Manning is off just a tick now. From everyone hoping for 8-8 to could be, might be division champs? What a fall in Kansas City!

Nebraska Football: Hopefully Bo is done. Saturday was the equivalent of Oklahoma State 2007 that got Callahan fired. Even Sipple at the LJS was critical yesterday. Gordon didn’t even play the 4th quarter. 56 unanswered points? Inexcusable.

There was no way Wisconsin could play Gordon in the 4th with that lead, but holy cow I wish they would have. 550-600 yards easy. Think about that!!

• P says:

b12, unfortunately Nebraska is stuck with Pelini. You see, here’s the conundrum, the guy wins 9 unremarkable games and takes at least one woodshead beating (generally under the bright lights of a national TV audience….sweet), and you can usually throw in one unexpected loss (ie Minnesota last season) and there you have it. But, no respectable coach will want to come work for a University where they ran the guy with 9 wins. Well, unless you’re out of work Bill Callahan of course. That turned out well. So, don’t you worry, you get to see Bo Pelini berate officials over every questionable call, yell at his players when they screw up (I think he did this to no less than 3 players on Saturday – try a different tact Bo, like coaching them up without screaming in their face), and continue to melt under pressure. It’s awesome really, Nebraska is officially in the purgatory of college football, never ready to take that next step to football heaven but probably a play or two away from 5-7 college football hell.

Everyone knows that god controls the environment, Greg! Geez.

5. brett says:

every time mizzou steps up and has a great game against the likes of georgia, florida or south carolina, ku fans declare it as further proof that the sec is overrated.

now that ku, arguably the worst football program in the 5 big conferences, played the big 12 leader to within one score, im sure those same ku fans will declare it as proof of the weakness of the big 12.

i’ll check back later.

You sound like a man with an inferiority complex. Enjoy your win and stop worrying so much about a former rival.

• Jim says:

This is what you worry about after a hard fought road win over aTm? Enjoy the ride a little, dude.

• Juan Pablo says:

MU and TXam have already prove the SEC as a conference is a bunch of hype from CBS/ESPN and SEC teams are way over rated. MU and TX am were two mediocre Big 12 programs and they have no problem in the SEC. I hope MU wins the SEC east again just to show what a joke all the SEC hype is. The SEC is just like the Big 10, Big 12 , Pac 12, ACC nothing special.

• MUC says:

7 out of the last 8 Champions have come from the SEC.
        That is just hype though.
        Never mind that a couple years ago it was 2 teams from the SEC playing for the title.

• Juan Pablo says:

So last year the ACC was the best football conference.
          Its about the whole conference not just one team that wins a championship in a given year, Those past champions are all mythical that hype and over rating had a lot to do with them. In a few years nobody will remember them. With the playoff less hype is involved.

• Hoppy says:

Lots of hot takes there juan pabs but you still haven’t addressed the original issue of if you can declare the b12 overrated based on the same criteria the sec gets the over hyped tag for

• MUC says:

what will you say if 2 SEC teams make it into the playoff?

6. Juan Pablo says:

MU fans are so happy Kim Anderson is the coach that they had empty arena for him to play in. It was nice and quiet for him and the team SEC basketball is a complete joke nobody cares about -UK but even Kim may have trouble wining in the SEC.

• John says:

Lovely grammar

• Doug Tucker says:

If anybody’s interested, Greg’s right about the high-quality food served in the press box at Arrowhead. It’s catered. Not what’s served fans in the stands. So Danny Parkins was not risking his health chowing down on the BBQ chicken, brownies, etc.

• Mike says:

Precisely. The Aramark stands are completely removed from what’s in the press area, the penthouse suite area, and any club/suite sections. There’s no sharing at all.
          The press area’s meal comes from Arrowhead’s own kitchens, which are immense and, anytime I’ve walked past, look spotless. (Those kitchens run for any event at Arrowhead, not just gameday. Think wedding receptions and other types of events that rent space on the club level.)
          Not sure what Parkins’ glib comment intended. If a joke, it was a poor one.

7. Kerouac says:

Comparing Jamaal Charles to Jim Brown is like comparing paint by numbers to Picasso…

Charles 1,176 career carries leaves him still more than twice as many shy Brown’s 2,359 career; Brown retired with a career 5.2 average – 5.3 on 289 carries at age 29 in his 9th/final season.

Charles, 27, is averaging but 5.2 in 2014 on only 133 carries; Brown age 27 averaged 6.4 – on 291 carries – which is more carries than Charles has ever had – in any season – his.

Carries per game career: Brown 20 in 9 years ~ Charles 13 in 7 years. He was injured one year? Someone get a kleenex.

Brown remains the greatest RB in history, and no one else is even close (though stats aside, had Gale Sayers not been injured/retired early, his peerless style might have allowed him challenge.)

All the rest NFL history? Take a number… the line forms to the right.

~

“Still no rushing touchdowns.”

– and still no passing tds any KCindy WR offense… an NFL record looms

~

SEAT had 372 yards to 298 net, 206 rushing to 190, 178 to 108 passing, 25 1st down to 20, time of possession 35:57 to 24:03 – DOMINATION. As last week’s game vs BUFF, the better team did not prevail, nod the Bills.

Upshot: these are desperate times, Kansas City. Here, we spell relief ‘wait till next year’… always. Baseball and football…. makes no difference; like dual Hoovers trying out insufflate the other ad nauseam, it always ends as it did end the year before… nowhere.

1985 Royals – do I hear 30?

1970 Chiefs – do I hear 46?

Do – x deux – KCindy’s

• Jim says:

Keep trotting out those meaningless stats, K-Dog.

KC @ Denver 2014:

KC had 380 yards to 325 net. 133 rushing to 88. 247 to 237 passing. 28 first downs to 19. Time of possession 36:14 to 23:46 – DOMINATION The better team did not prevail, nod the Chiefs.

Bet those Seahawks and Bills are tickled pink about “DOMINATING” the Chiefs

Keep chirping and trolling, brother. I think it’s working. hahahahaha

• 3GP says:

Blah, blah blah. And the great Kerap has taken another one.

How sad. You go through all this trouble to get your little facts together and nobody reads it. Pathetic.

Do you wheel over to the rec center and brag to the other retirees about your lame posts after the nurse wipes the drool from your face?

• Kerouac says:

“nobody reads it.”

– nope, not a single word huh…

;-)

… they doth protest too, too much, yet, cannot refute any the as stated facts, Charles and his equal fraud, KCindy.

• 3GP says:

I skip your Piece of Kerap monologues.

You couldn’t refute my facts, just like any typical fact martyr douche. You pull them out when it works for you, then ignore them when they don’t. Sad pathetic loser

You want a fact, dumbass? Cinderella won in the end. How long have you used that? Just how stupid are you?

You better beep your nurse, you are losing what little brain cells you have left.

• Kerouac says:

Try harder ‘not’ to read Kerouac – Lays Potato Chip of Blogdom – in the future – if you can. Here’s betting you cannot resist… nor refrain commenting.

• 3GP says:

I don’t need to read your dribble to comment. That’s the beauty of your stupidity, I can completely ignore your piece of Kerap writing & still be relevant in my response.

It’s funny you want me to refrain from commenting. You can’t compete with so you want me to quit.

Are you gonna cry? Call your nurse to bring your fat ass a tissue. You’re a joke.

• Kerouac says:

See, told ya… like clockwork and Pavlov’s dog, here you are yet again.

You dribble all by & all over yourself whenever you open your mouth/tap keyboard…

• 3GP says:

You, who post the same boring Piece Of Kerap monologues every day, that most ignore, are going to use Pavlov & clockwork??!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!!!

You are so stupid!

Kettle, meet piece of Kerap.

• Mumbai says:

Picasso sucked at painting worse than Kerouac sucked at writing.

• Fellopw says:

Jim Brown was also in some kick ass movies Greg http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000987/

• George Wilson says:

In his nine year career Jim Brown played behind offensive lines that included eight different guys who were selected to pro bowls. Among them three of the eight are hall of famers and combined the eight were selected 14 times as first team all pros. In Charles’ seven seasons two Chiefs’ linemen have been to the pro bowl and one (Brian Waters) made first team all pro twice. Whereas for most of his tenure Charles has been the only real top level weapon the Chiefs have had, Brown had the luxury of playing with two quarterbacks who were selected to a combined five pro bowls (Frank Ryan and Milt Plum) and two hall of fame receivers (Bobby Mitchell and Paul Warfield). As further evidence that the Browns gave Jim Brown an awful lot of help in setting his records, the year after Brown retired Cleveland still led the NFL in rushing yards and his replacement rushed for over 1100 yards in 14 games, averaging more yards per carry than Brown had done the prior year.

I guess I am surprised that such a fact hound as you missed those tidbits. I guess it’s just a coincidence that they don’t support your conclusions in demeaning a Chiefs’ player.

• Jim says:

George, K’rac is a bitter old coot that lives in a land that time forgot. The world has passed him by and that fact leaves him with….well…..nothing but sadness. His beloved Chargers have NEVER won a Superbowl and that is his lament. Just appreciate his posts for the humor. Gotta admit they are comically inaccurate. Every Chiefs win is a dagger to his failing heart. His defense is to lash out like a 6 year old that got his hot wheels taken away. Facts and stats mean nothing to him………unless they fit his argument. When faced with rebuttal facts that disprove his argument……crickets. Only a repeat/rehash of the same nonsense in a 3rd person writing style that isn’t even his own.

He doesn’t believe the Chiefs will go to the Superbowl this year. Like this is a prediction that would make Nostradamus jealous? Here’s a newsflash: No shit, Sherlock! I haven’t seen ANYONE predict a Chiefs Superbowl victory. Way to ride the popular wave, K-Man. Quite the front-runner, you are.

Listen, the dude only has one mantra and it is repeated day after day after day after day. Doesn’t that tell you enough about the guy? Let him have this bone if that’s what allows him to face each and every fading day.

Cheers, K-Man. Look forward to you pounding out another one of those daily gems. Oh wait……I’ll just go back and read the last 1,000 “gems” you wrote. Same ‘ol same ‘ol. Let me get it started for you…..

1970 Chiefs – 45 and counting……..

OK, you do the rest. I’m on pins and needles wondering what you’ll write.

• Kerouac says:

And yet, be ‘no asterisk’ next to Jim Brown’s name, his ‘anybody could have done it’ accomplishments; have you notified the authorities as to this travesty?

Lemme see: KC Charles had Brian Waters (Pro Bowler), Branden Albert (Pro Bowler), Matt Cassel (Pro Bowler), Alex Smith (Pro Bowler), Dwayne Bowe (Pro Bowler)… but Twiggy Charles didn’t need any of them – did it all by himself.

Here’s another your falls upon deaf ear hilarious plea/spin: using your tap dance, all of those players should have taken votes away from Jim Brown his Hall of Fame consideration. Thus (an example), KC’s Johnny Robinson, a guy played on a defense KC that included 5 Hall of Fame teammates. Clearly, those guys took away from his accomplishments as well each others. Upshot – since he had all that ‘help’/the rest too – ‘too much’ in fact – none of them deserved merit & accolades; were nothing without each other/the others.

Yet, Robinson has better stats than several current HOFr’s his position, but remains un-enshrined the HOF. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz the sound of defeat coming out your balloon of illogic.

You can’t have it both ways, and as demonstrated your (il)logic falls flat on review. There is Brown… and no one else; a Charles isn’t even in the conversation.

• Jim says:

Don’t forget about the “star” Branden Oliver, K-man!! 30 yards, a cloud of dust and zero touchdowns each and every week!! You DO know your football!!! hahahahahahahaha

• Kerouac says:

And when their illogic be defeated, all they have left obfuscation & distraction… the sign of weakness the argument as well the blogger;.keep trying, failing.

Brown – Jim Brown – uber alles, and in a walk.

• Jim says:

Charles – 5.5 YPC
              Brown – 5.2 YPC

Appears Brownie was walking. But hey…ignore FACTS that you claim to love so.

Drops mic…walks away…

• Kerouac says:

Brown 6.4 yards per carry age 27 in 291 carries

Charles 5.2 yards per carry age 27 in 133 carries

Appears Charles is a member the halt & lame faction

Game, set, match… Brown/Kerouac

• Jim says:

CA-reer. Here, I’ll say it sloooooowly for the elderly/senile crowd. Career…5.2 for little brownie and 5.5 for the greatest YPC running back in NFL history…Charles. Done in an era when athletes on both sides of the ball are bigger, faster and stronger. Much bigger accomplishment.

Keep trying.

• Kerouac says:

Brown 2,359 carries career

Charles 1,176 carries career

Have ol’ idle come back – post 1,183 more carries if he ever manages to get off the snide…

Brown uber alles

• Kerouac says:

As for the red herring ‘bigger, stronger, faster’ – it is irrelevant and has always been so.

We’re it not so, the 1960’s Chiefs from 1964-1969 would have been undefeated..that they won but one Championship all that time, and even then with asterisk result a special one-year only wild card format, speaks loudest.

Every thing is relative… there have always been bigger, stronger faster players – always will be. The biggest, fastest Chief is Poe… he is a ‘poe’ man’s Ernie Ladd 6’9 356 at his peak, a man to Poe boy.

Bigger, stronger, faster teams lost Superbowls 1-3 too; how’d that happen, Yim?

The bigger they are, the harder they fall… Kerouac as the rest are still waiting with baited breath for ol’ idle Charles find that same rarefied aire that only Brown commands.

OK, your turn

• Kerouac says:

Biggest and ‘FATEST’, not fastest… the fastest would be the local KCindy overhype which is running at a world class clip.

8. Merle Tagladucci says:

Thank God we’ve got a blog writer and some scientists in here to tell us all about climate change. Tomorrow we’ll be educated on fracking.

9. Harry Balczak says:

How can Holthus nickname some dude “the sausage” and get away with it. I am surprised “the sausage” doesn’t kick Holthus’s ass.

Gotta be getting close to your nap-time, K-Dawg. Your debate/tirade has become nonsensical. Throw out whatever ancillary data you like. This fact remains: Charles currently OWNS the greatest YPC record in the NFL. Period.

Nighty, night. Come back refreshed and ready for some more fun, my friend.

11. Kerouac says:

Hiding at the bottom of the blog away from your whipping spot above won’t help you or Charles… the fact remains Brown OWNS the greatest YPC record in the NFL – period.

To deny Jim Brown is the best ever is to deny reason, logic & common sense as well the statistics. After having to suffer your attempt master all three, can understand why you don’t ‘get it.’ Further schooling yours would be of benefit – as such, Kerouac will continue administer edification to you.

Your ilk is also likely to say Mark McGwire was better than Babe Ruth because McGwire’s ratio of at bats to hrs (10.61) was slightly better than Ruth’s (11.76) which denies the obvious: longevity. For that matter, Barry Bonds too needed 836 ‘more’ at bats than Ruth had to even ‘tie’ the Babe at 714; as McGwire, Bonds or no man is able outrun/outperform father time.

Ditto a still ‘wet behind the ears’ sparingly used Twiggy Charles.

McGwire, who was running on fumes at the end, breaking down/pieces falling off physically due PED-use (he admitted), finished with a steroid enhanced 583 home runs – still 131 behind Ruth.
    It’s the same principal with second best to Brown, Charles – by the time he could even conceive carrying the ball as many times Brown did, Twiggy would be broken, used & discarded, his YPC 4.5 or probably even less as he limped (or was carted off) the field. Larry Johnson’s YPC took a major hit too with more carries.

Remember? Yeah, you ‘member. The same will happen to Twiggy Charles.

Reiterating: Jim Brown uber alles

• Jim says:

Hiding? hahahahaha I don’t hide from facts. Please point me to the blog/football reference, etc that says Brown’s CAREER rushing average is better than Charles. Once you do that Little K, I’ll relent. Until then…………crickets.

Try to stay in the moment, K’rac. I realize your moments are fading, but try.

After 6 years in the league (I even threw out 2011 when he only played 2 games because the 6.9 YPC skewed the data ):

Charles 2008-2014 (sans 2011)..1164 carries for 6432 yards = 5.52 YPC
      Brown 1957-1962……………………1499 carries for 7459 yards = 4.97 YPC

I don’t know what Charles is going to do over the next 3 or 4 seasons. Neither do you. The statement was AT THIS POINT, Charles is the NFL’s all-time leader in YPC.

Nothing I have said can be disputed. It’s math, K-dawg. Period.

Realizing that everything was better “back-then”, the principles of math remain the same. Argue that, if you must. Makes you look silly.

Now it’s McGwire? Think I give a shit about McGwire/ Babe Ruth, et al? Sorry, that’s not the way my ilk rolls.

Smelling desperation here when the principles of arithmetic are debated.

• Jim says:

Let me add this caveat…..

I think Brown was the greatest NFL running back of all-time.
        Charles currently holds the NFL’s all-time YPC record.

These two things CAN exist in the same time and place.

• Kerouac says:

Your vacuousness is as vast the KCindy trophy case its emptiness, and as disingenuous as reality is immutable.

Having beaten you in every way with fact, logic, reason and truth, will now continue to do so with your own malleable version of truth:

Michael Vick 7.1
        Randall Cunningham 6.4
        Marion Motley 5.7

There we have three – 3 – NFL qualifiers who rank ahead of Charles the all-time list yards per carry. 1 is a RB, 2 are QBs, all 3 rank far ahead of Twiggy Charles. That none of the ‘four’ aforementioned have anywhere near the # of carries as Jim Brown, affirms Brown is the best ever when one thinks – and admits, do try Yim – that stats as well logic dictates it is so. You being incapable logic and unwilling admit it, is your burden.

Your argument would be “well 2 of those are QBs”… but 1 is not. Your next argument would be, “‘well, Motley didn’t carry the ball as much as Charles has” – PRECISELY, Kerouac will/does say – and Charles has not carried the ball as much as Brown, not even close.

And that – as you already know – was the point of using a McGwire (and it could have been several other MLB players same) to show that a ypc average in and of itself is not the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

So, Charles ranks #3, using the NFL’s own system of minimum carries. Vick, Cunningham and Motley all better than Charles.

Brown yards per carry and total rushing yards gained considered is better than any of them.

That’s Jim Brown – the one everyone else aspires mimic, but none of whom has ever done so, nor ever will.

You lose. Get that mea culpa yours to me pronto, Tonto.

12. chris says:

I don’t understand the point of hiring a guy to find the best coach. Isn’t that why you hired the athletic director?

13. Kerouac says:

Let’s frame this, shall we? You know, so that it can hang there in the air for public consumption and s***s and giggles:

Jim said “The statement was AT THIS POINT, Charles is the NFL’s all-time leader in YPC.”

Here’s a link to affirm how wrong you are –

tee, tee hee

• Jim says:

LMAO….with your boy a distant 4th. :-(

Thanks for agreeing with me about Brown vs Charles. Charles wins in YPC.

The end.

• Jim says:

Q: Who is the greatest running back of all-time?
        A: Jim Brown

Q: Who averaged more yards per carry between Brown & Charles?
        A: Charles

Please see K’racs link above for confirmation.

For desperate old men that dispute these facts, the line forms to the right.

14. Kerouac says:

Look at him go – look at Yim tap dance! He’s Fred Astaire, Gene Kelly, Sammy Davis Jr. & Gregory Hines all rolled into one!

tee, tee hee

Kerouac said, throughout: ‘Jim Brown is the best ever’. Brown was, still is, and ever will be the greatest, and it has been affirmed in spades herein by the Lays Potato Chip of Blogdom – the greatest ever His own right – Kerouac.

Kerouac wins, Jim loses.

15. Kerouac says:

‘Kerouac The Great’ is gonna go make a sandwich and have a nice refreshing soft drink now… Yim, you try and convolute things a little more, as is your want, tack.

Maybe you can get the NFL to change (what must seem to you, to be) an arbitrary ‘minimum # of carries’ in order qualify career stats. Isn’t it interesting they use the same measure as Kerouac.

That principle theirs augments & affirms even more why Brown is the greatest ever, and Twiggy Charles is but an afterthought, one of the countless others sparingly used who are not even the same league or conversation as Brown.

16. Kerouac says:

“The statement was AT THIS POINT, Charles is the NFL’s all-time leader in YPC.” – Jim

tee, tee hee

And when you ‘have’ them, you ‘really have them’…

17. Kerouac says:

Kerouac leaves you know to wallow in defeat, your own and only device…

18. Kerouac says:

“Let me add this caveat”….. – Jim, hard at work once again, building excuse upon alibi upon cover.

tee, tee hee

• Jim says:

I’m flattered in a Brokeback Mountain kind of way that you can’t quit me…..but it’s making me a little nervous Kman.

19. Kerouac says:

Look in the mirror… that’s not flattering

:-)

…and the beat goes on. Getting creepy.