“That was the weirdest 34-7 game I’ve ever seen. The whole time you didn’t feel like the Chiefs were dominating the game. Here’s the good thing about it – they beat a team they had to beat at home.”
Bill Maas, 610 AM
GH: I listened to the Rams first drive of the game and Mitch and Lenny made it sound like this was going to be a long day for the Chiefs as easily as St. Louis sliced through the Chiefs jerry-rigged defense. Who knew then that the Chiefs were going to score 34 unanswered points in a rout to the Governor’s Cup? Maybe that’s a good omen for the Royals as they head into Game 6 tonight following two series-turning losses in San Francisco. Or as the radio disclaimer reminds us – past performances are not necessarily indicative of future results.

“I’ve got to tell you, this defensive secondary with (Husain) Abdullah and (Ron) Parker? They are playing some really good football. These are guys who weren’t expected to do anything and they have become quality starters in this league. To me, that has made all the difference between last year’s defense and this year’s defense.”
Bill Maas, 610 AM
GH: Derrick Johnson, the heart, soul and leader of the Chiefs defense went down in the Chiefs opener with a season-ending Achilles injury and the Chiefs looked doomed. Then Eric Berry went MIA and the clouds grew even thicker over the Chiefs defensive huddle. But so often in sports and life great opportunity spawns greatness as it has with Parker and Abdullah. Now, that didn’t happen with Jayson Nix in the World Series but even miracles have a limit.

“Nobody gave (the Chiefs) a chance when the schedules came out. Nobody gave them a chance when the injuries occurred. This is the personality that this (Chiefs) team has taken on.”
Bill Maas, 610 AM
GH: I had the Chiefs down for five wins before the season. I thought the schedule looked far too difficult for a team that has so few offensive weapons and no wide receivers of note. Well, they are 4-3 and their wide receivers have still not caught a touchdown pass. Maybe they are reinventing the game via George Halas’ playbook.

“Alex (Smith) actually has a shoulder sprain that happened in the game. He was able obviously to go through the game and everything worked out OK. A bit sore today but should be fine.”
Andy Reid, following the Chiefs 34-7 win over St. Louis, ArrowheadPride.com
GH: Is there anyone out there in Mitch Holthus’ Chiefs Kingdom who still doesn’t think Alex Smith is just what the Chiefs needed at quarterback? He’s smart, tough and talented. Has anyone heard Kevin Kietzman toot his Geno Smith horn of late?

“(Michael) Vick, in 6 quarters of football this year has produced zero TDs, 5 INT/fumbles, and has completed 46.4% of his passes; will start over Geno.”
Benjamin Allbright, @AllbrightNFL , NFL draft guy, on the Jets decision to start Vick at Arrowhead Sunday, Twitter
GH: Chiefs fans will likely be denied a look at Geno Smith, the quarterback that KK so desperately wanted the Chiefs to draft two summers ago. At least as the starter. The Jets have been a disaster now for years and the Chiefs need to take advantage of them. As Dick Vermeil like to say, keep losing teams losing.

“This is not looking long-term, this is about the immediate. My focus is just on that and that’s on Kansas City and trying to find a way to get a win. And that’s why this decision was made.”
Rex Ryan, Jets head coach, NFL.com

“The Jets used Percy Harvin on 40 snaps Sunday (against Buffalo), by an unofficial count. In time, he will absolutely open up the offense for Eric Decker, but Smith and Vick must resist the urge to force the ball to him. Harvin was used sparingly in the slot but was a heavy presence on the outside and in the Jets‘ backfield. He had four carries.”
Connor Orr, writer, NFL.com
GH: Percy Harvin will be quite a test for the Chiefs scout-team secondary just as the elusive Vick will test the Chiefs’ excellent pass rush. Here’s hoping the Jets stay in a funk at least one more week.

“I just want to mention once again all the great help through the charitable arm, the players and the Clark fam…the Hunt family.”
Governor Jay Nixon, address the Chiefs as he presented them with the Governor’s Cup for their win over the St. Louis Rams, 610 AM
GH: Do you think Governor Jay Nixon listens to sports talk radio?

“Not an accident, Danny.”
Jake Gutierrez, after Danny Clinkscale remarked that the bumper music Jake was playing on The Border Patrol was the number-one song in October of 1985, 810 AM GH: Jake and The Border Patrol have been serenading their morning audience during the MLB playoffs with tunes from 1985 – and I have been loving the trip down memory lane. Somehow Jake decided that the anthem for the Royals postseason surge should be the theme from St. Elmo’s Fire, John Parr’s Man in Motion. I crank it up every time that song it comes on 810. I knocked almost a minute off my fifth mile this morning when Steven St. John let the entire song play out. This World Series stuff is one helluva lot of fun!

“Since 1982, teams down 3-2 going home for Games 6 & 7 have won 8 of 10 World Series.” World Series Stat that has been repeated often since Game 5 went final in San Francisco GH: Looks like Ned’s dream of a Game 7 is a real possibility.

“Two home games to win the World Series – would you sign up for that?”
Jay Binkley, 610 AM
GH: Think about coming out of the All-Star break and that three-game sweep by the Red Sox – and just how over any postseason hopes appeared to be. I walked through Hy-Vee yesterday after work and was in awe of the square footage they have dedicated to Royals World Series gear. Our Royals. The same Royals the Red Sox spanked in July. Win tonight and Game 7 awaits.

“The Royals have seen potential Game 7 (ticket) prices hold steady over the weekend despite entering an elimination game on Tuesday. The average price for Game 7 tickets is currently $1,559.27 on the secondary market and will likely rise to even greater heights if the Royals were to force the game with a win on Tuesday. The get-in price for Game 7 starts at $598, more than double what Game 6’s get-in price is currently listed.”
Jesse Lawrence, contributor, Forbes.com
GH: Translation: Getting into The K the next two nights is going to be expensive. Here’s hoping it is really costly for the Giants.

“Yes or no?”
A Friend, texting me Monday night to ask if I was available to go to Game 6 if he got tickets GH: I don’t have it in my budget to pay for tickets to a second WS game this month but this buddy was willing to treat me and a couple of other guys. I texted him to let him know I wasn’t comfortable sticking him with the cost. He answered my text with the question above, “Yes or no?” Well, I am heading to Game 6 tonight courtesy of one very good friend.

and @greghall24

26 Responses to OTC: Chiefs Thump Rams & Move To 4-3 / Royals Looking For 4-3 Finish In World Series

(2) 50″ flatscreens, propane heater, firepit in the driveway, cooler full frosty buds, a garage full of friends and the Royals in the World Series. $1500 tickets? No, I like option 2 better.

Go Royals!!

2. Bob Loblaw says:

So, I got a call from a non-sports friend saying that a client GAVE him two Game 7 tickets for THIRD ROW DIAMOND CLUB, AND DO I WANT TO GO?!

I said sure.

3. Kerouac says:

Another dismal performance by KCindy as they continue their relentless pursuit of ‘wait till next year.’

Game highlights – nil.

Lowlites: you betcha.

Another dropped pass (or was it two?) for overhype Manos de Piedra Kelce ~ another impact bereft game by this season’s overhype Twiggy Thomas ~ and #1 bust Dee (wouldn’t you really rather have a Buick or at least a Tim Cofield) Ford another sack-less game, managing to only coattail on another’s, steal ½.

Half way through the season and ‘still’ not a single td pass to a WR (the genius Reid no doubt scratches his ample haunches in bewilderment.)

Kerouac remembers when Stram / Chiefs had no WR’s due injury 1968, went to the full house backfield to upset the better Raiders, 24-10. Case the 2014 edition, KC has WR’s only they’re invisible once they see a defense other than the Swiss Chiefs in practice.

As for the inside joke (KC partyline) “we’ve the ‘best’ RB tandem entire NFL (30 carries between them, yet not a 100-yard game, either), nod Conway Twitty “it’s only make, believe”.

Last but certainly most well paid, Alex ‘I Left My Heart In San Francisco with The GIANTS’ Smith remains stuck on 9 td passes almost half a 4-3 season – none to a WR, compare to 7-0 with td passes a WR, 2013… progress? As Cioran stated – “progress is the injustice each generation (new season) commits with regard its predecessors (every since the 1969, same.)”

Upshot: KCindy continues going through the motions getting nowhere fast since January 1970… no Superbowl, no post season win/s, no post season appearance & ‘wait till next year’ (part 46 right on time, 2015.) All that remains the Royals getting dominated again tonight – ‘wait till next year part 30’ their swan song to ’14.

“GIANTS goin’ to, Kansas City, Kansas City here they come, they gonna wrap up the Series 2014 ‘Championship’, good as won.”

GO ROYALS – home, into that not so good night/off-season.

: – )

So an honest question to you, if you are capable of being real. You know a lot about KC sports, more than most, especially by the names you mention and stats. However, you seem to have great amount of hatred for all things KC and love for whoever is playing KC (Giants fan this week I see). So what’s up? Do you just get off on trolling, or do you have a severe handicap that makes you live your life memorizing every moment of KC sports history only to take a dump all over anything good that ever happens? Just curious. I doubt we can get a real answer from you but it’s worth a shot.

• KCMonarch says:

tl;dr. as usual.

• Kerouac says:

The (‘I want to **** Kerouac) adulation line forms to the right… R.S.V.P.

:-)

• Joe Blow says:

Why do you post here again? Not to beat on my dead horse some more, but people like Rob & Rany have been predicting failure for years, and feel vindicated when they’re right.

Thing is, most teams and players fail more often than they succeed. It’s really fuckin easy to predict that shit, since you’ll be “right” most of the time..

• Kerouac says:

Dear Blow

Halo, Joe

Why? Because Kerouac can, it pleases him and provides side-splitting guffaws via those who cannot walk on by an opinion doesn’t agree with their own, without needing vent their own vituperative.

For the record, Kerouac hasn’t been wrong about the Chiefs decades; case 2014 as the other years, only have to be right ‘once’ – at the end, which always comes too soon for KCindy.

The question you as others must answer: why do some people care so much what Kerouac – the ‘Lays Potato Chip of blogdom’ – writes?

:-)

4. Java Man says:

I had heard that football season had started. Looking forward to watching some this weekend.

5. The Independent Rage says:

One great thing about the Series returning to KC is the fact that we won’t have see any more endless cutaways to the San Fran celebs like Montana and Robin Lord Taylor. If they’re smart, the Royals for Game 6 will get Don Denkinger’s ass in a dugout box seat, maybe even with a broad like Fountain Mom in tow. If I see a Denkinger cutaway during tonight’s broadcast, then I will know there is no way the Royals can lose.

• red says:

Fountain mom as one of our celebs would be friggin hilarious

• b12 says:

I can hear Joe Buck bellowing now (really, the guy has no sense of volume or tonality) about Fountain Mom…and Harold Reynolds excusing himself for a couple of innings.

• The Independent Rage says:

I would excuse Harold Reynolds for excusing himself for a bit. One, I would welcome the respite from Harold. Two, Fountain Mom ain’t so bad for a drunk broad.

6. TiberiusGracchus says:

I don’t think that Alex Smith is just what the Chiefs needed at QB! How many times have the Chiefs needed to drive down the field at the end of the game for a “chance” to win only to have Smith shit himself. Is he Geno Smith or Matt Cassel, yes but that does not make him the answer. He is not a closer!

7. Herb says:

You need to have more than one player who can get open and catch the ball to do that. The Chiefs are not built for last minute wins, and they know it, so they try to tailor the games accordingly. Doesn’t always work out that way. Denver, for example knows they always have a chance.