“In a small way, I feel like we’ve won the World Series.”
Dayton Moore, as he discussed the resurgence of Royals fans interest in their team during the season-ending press conference Tuesday, 610 AM
GH: There are quotes in the history of Kansas City sports that are spoken and then remembered for years – maybe generations. Some live on for their ridiculousness or humor. MU’s Larry Smith’s, “I don’t have an Internet,” comes to mind. Dick Vermeil’s comment “time to take the diapers off,” quote about Larry Johnson is another memorable line. Hank Stram’s Super Bowl comment on the Chiefs’ sideline, “Just keep matriculating the ball down the field, boys,” is another classic. Kansas City sports talk radio has made Carl Peterson’s, “How ‘bout those Royals?” comment a never-dying audio drop. There are dozens of others. Well, add one more to that list. Dayton Moore’s “World Series” comment is about to be quoted, noted and toted for however long it takes Dayton and the Royals to actually win a World Series. Read on.

“What Royals GM Dayton Moore really meant by his ‘World Series’ comment”
Headline to Sam Mellinger’s column on Kansascity.com
GH: Mellinger and The Star could have simply lit Moore up for his dumb comment like most of the radio sports talk shows and I did or will do. But Sam looks at these opportunities differently than most. Is that a good thing for his readers? Well, that depends on how you like your news and commentary. Bob Fescoe went another way. Read on.

“Yes it was worth it for Dayton Moore to say, ‘In some small way, I feel like we’ve won the World Series – for the purposes of our show!”
Bob Fescoe, 610 AM
GH: Fescoe played Moore’s “World Series” quote no less than five consecutive times within a few seconds on his Wednesday morning show – with a music bed added for production value. Fescoe did not stop the mocking – and the mocking is well earned by Moore – there. Read on.

“I would love John Dorsey to come on with Blake and Binkley today at 11:00 o’clock and say, ‘In some small way, I feel like we’ve won the Super Bowl.’ It would make my week!”
Bob Fescoe, 610 AM
GH: The Royals may have planned for their season-ending wrap-up news conference to put a happy and neat bow on their 86-win season. It did not. In my opinion – and the opinion of others – Moore and Ned Yost came off as two guys who wanted us to know just how successful they had been – despite no playoffs, little hope at resigning Santana and Wil Myers starring for the Rays this postseason.

“This news conference today was my worst fear. The team started to have a little success this year and there started to be puffiness. An arrogance. If anyone in this organization thinks they have arrived, that’s just stupid.”
Kevin Kietzman, on the attitude of some of the Royals representatives who work with WHB 810 AM
GH: I hope the brass at Kauffman Stadium heard Kietzman’s words – because he is dead on. The Royals improved but they also extended their streak to 28 years of no postseason play. They also wasted possibly the best pitching staff they will have over the next decade. 86 wins was fun – especially for two guys who needed contract extensions.

“What I don’t like is (Moore and Yost) taking a victory lap after a non-playoff season.”
Kevin Kietzman, 810 AM

“Dayton Moore said something stupid. This stupid thing he said will hang on him. His words will be mocked. … he said this stupid thing in a room full of reporters and rolling cameras and open notebooks and a live listening audience during a news conference on Tuesday… I tried to get right to the point (in talking to Moore). You shouldn’t have said that ‘World Series’ thing. It won’t look good.”
Sam Mellinger, kansascity.com
GH: I will take Mellinger at his word that he was this frank with the Royals GM. If so, he has a healthy relationship with a guy who most fans really don’t know well. And from the quote that Mellinger received back from Moore, it appears to me that the columnist has his trust. Read on.

“What I’m saying, I mean, look, ‘World Series’ is the wrong term, but I feel very, very good about where our organization is. It means a lot to me. You have to know how I’m wired. The only reason I’m a general manager is that this is my boyhood team. It’s a special place for me.… I had a strong relationship with my grandmother, and she loved the Royals. When our games are on at night, I picture my grandmother and people of her generation loving and tuning into this game. I know how important it is to their lives.… And it means a lot to me that little boys want to grow up and be baseball players so they can be like Sal Perez or Eric Hosmer. That means a lot to me. That means everything to me. That means more to me than winning a World Series.”
Dayton Moore, kansascity.com
GH: Okay, that is the second dumb “World Series” quote from Moore delivered mere minutes apart. And this one was made in an attempt to clarify his first dumb quote. Hey, everybody who knows Karen Kornacki likes Karen. She is as sweet and nice a person as you will ever meet. But Karen is not who I want delivering me my sports news or commentary. Does Dayton think season ticket holders shell out thousands of dollars each year so that little boys will want to grow up and be baseball players? Screw that! We want some more flags to fly in left field! There is only one World Series and it’s not being won in Kevin Kietzman’s mom’s living room.

“I’ll paraphrase it. ‘I’ve done my job. This is the best you can hope for in Kansas City.’”
Kevin Kietzman, on Moore’s comment that he feels like in a small way the Royals have won the World Series, 810 AM
GH: Like Fescoe, Kietzman took a harsh and demeaning stance on Moore’s quote. He chose to use Moore’s words to embarrass him. Mellinger took a kindler more supportive approach. I think both are necessary but I prefer hitting an underperforming employee hard rather than soft. More needs to know he is nowhere near successful – no matter how many little boys in Overland Park are playing pepper.

“Look, I don’t know if Ned’s the perfect manager. But I know one thing: After the last game in Chicago, the players freaking love Ned Yost. It’s not the courtesy fist bump or whatever. (Hosmer) comes up from a distance and gives him one of these (big hugs). Same thing with (Mike Moustakas), and other guys. Sal says, ‘I love Ned Yost.’ That’s important to me.”
Dayton Moore, kansascity.com
GH: This is a money quote that Mellinger extracted from Moore. I may be wrong but I don’t think many members of the media would have gotten this quote from Moore – in this context. In written form, Moore appears to be letting down his guard and giving us a glimpse as to why Yost received a two-year extension. I don’t happen to agree that the players loving their manager is a key component to winning but obviously Moore does. Ned loves his players too much. It is why Frenchy, Getz and Wade Davis were allowed to drag this team to the brink of failure before the All-Star break.

“The Glass family is trying to resurrect the franchise that they buried – and that’s what they should do. … I still want them to go out and do more.”
Steven St. John, 810 AM

and Twitter / @greghall24

38 Responses to OTC: Dayton Moore’s ‘World Series’ Comment Hands KC Media A Gift To Unwrap For Years

A bit off topic, but can someone please explain to me why Yost, Moore, KK, et al continue to say the Royals were 10 games over .500? This makes no sense to me at all. Did they win 10 more than they lost? Yes. Were they 10 games over .500? No. How can they be 10 games over .500 but if they would have lost 5 more games they would be .500? Stupid math.

Everyone who has ever referred to .500 in the history of mankind has referred to it this way.

• Rick dutzel says:

Look at it like this: If a team has a 50-40 record, they would have to lose 10 games in a row to be at .500

• John Giardino says:

The statement is such because it considers “games in hand”. It is true that if they lost five more and finished 86-86, they would have been .500…but there are only 162 games in a season. A .500 record at 86 wins would require a 172 game season, so they are technically 10 games over .500 The Royals finished with 76 losses, and if they finished with 76 wins as well they would have been at .500…with 10 games to go. You add up the wins above .500 and the losses below .500 to arrive at the games “above” a .500.

• Matt says:

I had a response ready to go, but decided to be nice. Jim, I’ll leave you with this instead: are you aware that teams in first place can reduce their magic number by 2 games by only winning one game?

2. Scott Simon says:

That’s nice but the real proof is can they be an 85-90 win team year after year? At least they got over a small hump.

GH: There are quotes in the history of Kansas City sports that are spoken and then remembered for years – maybe generations. Some live on for their ridiculousness or humor. ”

Loved the list, but there were a few that you forgot that are legendary.

Tony Muser-The milk and cookies tirade in 2001

Herm Edwards: “30 points!!! That’s ArenaBall!!!” That always stuck with me during the Herm era of Chiefs football.

Carl Peterson-”The 5 year Plan”, now on Year 25.

Dayton’s World Series gaffe will be up there in another 5 years, if this team doesn’t make it to the World Series. This team better do things to strengthen itself, or else we could see 2004 redux after 2003 season in 2014.

• Doug Tucker says:

Carl Peterson never said he had a five-year plan. Cary Grant swore he never said in any movie “Judy, Judy, Judy.” And history has Churchill’s famous quote “blood, sweat and tears” wrong. What he actually said was blood, sweat, toil and tears.

• Kyle Rohde says:

And Henry Ford never said, “If I would have asked people what they wanted, they’d have asked for a faster horse” either!

• JP says:

And Bogie never said “Play it Again Sam” in Casablanca. “The 5 year Plan’ comment didn’t come out of thin air. Maybe it’s an urban legend, but enough sportscasters (Ex: Jack’s Smack) have discussed it to the point that somebody must have uttered the line.

• JD says:

Herm’s exact words were:

EDWARDS: “If we score 21 points, I’ll say, ‘Whoa, we scored a lot of points.’ Twenty-one points – that’s a lot of points. Thirty points? That isn’t even a football game. That’s Arena Football. We’re talking about real football.”

What made it worse was the Chiefs scored 1, maybe 2 TDs in pre-season. This was probably one of the more honest things Herm ever said.

4. Dan says:

Dayton Moore’s comments reflect the loser mindset of so many KC sports fans. The one where they just appreciate having a baseball team and they fall in love with certain players because they responded to them on Twitter or they have a cool haircut or they were nice to them while signing autographs. Players like David DeJesus and Mark Teahen and Mitch Maier and Brayan Pena and Luis Mendoza are put up on a pedestal by a large segment of Royals fans. Fuck that. I don’t care about all that. I don’t care if kids idolize Hosmer or Perez. I don’t care if they have a team of 25 assholes. I just want to WIN. That’s ALL I care about. Give me a team that contends for the postseason on a regular basis and actually MAKES IT once in a while and I’ll like the players whether they’re nice or they’re jerks.

• Barles james says:

If you read mellinger’s column, which was very enlightening, you see where the comment came from. Doesn’t mean DM should keep his job, and the comment was dumb, but Mellinger actually did a good job digging out the story behind the quote.

GREG HALL: “Moore and Ned Yost came off as two guys who wanted us to know just how successful they had been.”

Exactly. Dayton’s been here since mid-2006. Here’s the # of playoff appearances by AL Central teams in those 8 years:

Detroit – 4
    Minnesoate – 4
    Cleveland – 2
    Chicago – 1 (this doesn’t include their Championship in 2005)
    Kansas City – 0

2 other small-maret clubs:

Tampa – 4
    Oakland – 3

Dayton can start patting himself on the back when the goose egg goes away.

6. T Rich says:

Yesterday’s news conference was nothing but two guys talking about why they should keep their jobs. Almost every comment leads me to believe that they will stand pat for the most part. Ned’s comment about “Every batter improving” is ridiculously scary. Isn’t that how we ended up with Frenchy for 3 months in right?

Dayton’s comments should have led off with “We improved a great deal, but we missed a chance with our pitching being this good. We will work to improve the bats while attempting to maintain the best pitching staff this franchise has seen since the late 1970′s.”

I would have believed that they understand what happened this year at that point. Now I think they really believe they accomplished something. It also makes me think that they never thought they had a chance to make the playoffs this year when the season began.

7. Brett says:

after dayton’s “it means more to me than the world series” comment, sam asks dayton if he really means that. dayton says yes. sam says he wants to quote him on that.

what if dayton says “no i take it back,dont print it.” what does sam do?? do we never hear this eye-opening quote if dayton retracts it? if so, how many important pieces of info have we missed out on over the years b/c sam gives his buddy a chance to retract it? do journalists really ask for permission before they print something? what a joke.

8. Steve says:

Oh man, the Yost comment about him believing no hitter will regress next year or whatever it was had to be the most absurd thing I’ve ever heard. Coach-speak is one thing, but this was lunacy. I’m fine with him having confidence in his team but the chances of this actually happening are basically non-existent. It made him sound so stupid.

• Doug Tucker says:

I agree with Steve. To me, Yost is the runaway winner if we’re handing out the dumb quote of the year award. With a little effort and compassion, we can see where DM was coming from with his unfortunate World Series comment. But Yost saying every batter will improve next year makes me wonder if our personable manager got started early that morning celebrating his 2-year contract.

9. DPW says:

The Royals finished in 3rd place last season and 3rd again this season. Add to that fact Cleveland who finished 4th in 2012 sprinted past the Royals this season. That is not much of an accomplishment in my opinion.

10. Mickey says:

Apparently Ned thinks he’s managing in Lake Woebegone, where all the ballplayers are above average and yet continue to improve every year. Bill Belichick has earned the right to be arrogant, but at least it’s dull and robotic arrogance. Ned has earned nothing, yet he carries himself as a swaggering bully who gets his managerial moves, as Bill O’Reilly’s does his book topics, directly from the Holy Spirit.

11. Say What? says:

The reason the players like playing the Ned is because he is willing to stand in front of the media and take all the bullets. He will use coach-speak all day long and the fans and media pounce on it, and the story of the player that is really the problem becomes less important.

The players can go about their business and the the media has something to print or talk about on the radio/internet.

Everybody wins.

The Dayton Moore comments just seemed like him saying they have come a long way from where they were and a winning season was an accomplishment he was proud of. He should have used different words, but it’s not going to ruin my day that he didn’t.

12. Buster McFillibuster says:

I am one of the few who view this season as a failure. I expected playoffs with James Shields and they did not get there. FAILURE! Yost, Moore and the others who are satisfied are born losers. There were a ton of busts this year….Moose, Cain, Escobar, Getz, Davis, Herrera, Frenchy and most of all….the hitting coaches and Yost. I quit on this team when they dropped two to the Marlins at Home and took a shit on the season back in May.

13. Phaedrus says:

I’m curious if all these spouting off about KC’s “loser” mentality apply the same standards to their own life?

If you’re the 3rd most productive salesman in the company, do you tell your boss that you’re a loser?

If you’re a lawyer, but not one of the 3 or 4 highest billing ones in the firm, do you give back your bonus because you’re a loser?

If you’re a mutual fund manager and your fund doesn’t beat 75% of the funds out there, then you must be a loser.

I wonder what all these people bitching about the Royals not making the playoffs have accomplished in life given their “non-loser” mentality?

There’s nothing wrong with being happy that the Royals improved this season.

Signed,

A Happy Loser

• Barles James says:

this is professional sports. I wonder of Phaedrus has a job that brings him nearly $1 million annually, gets 5 months time off and free travel at the nation’s best hotels. These pampered coaches and athletes know what they’re getting into, and if they wanted a job in sales, they’d quit these high pressure careers for jobs in sales.

• Dan says:

The Royals have the longest streak of no playoffs in all of North American pro sports. 29 years. That more than doubles the amount of the 2nd longest streak which is the Buffalo Bills at 14. So to make the comparison to the 3rd or 4th best employee at a company is false. The Royals are the worst employee that the company has ever had. So yes, my statement yesterday is accurate. Fans who show blind loyalty to this franchise and fall in love with bad to mediocre players have a loser’s mentality.

14. Harley says:

Surprised that moore wasn’t fired by David glass on the spot.
    Glass is a money hungry…kill the competition….bury your vendors….screw anyone
    and anything to make a buck….be first and do anything to get there kind of guy.
    For moore to be happy with 12th place sure didn’t make the money grubbing
    glasses happy one singlebit.
    Its in their genes (the glasses) to bite/screw/spit on all their competitors and
    scratch to the top;
    Moore doesn’t have that kind of aggressive meaness in his body.
    He won’t last long….its not in his body.
    but I guess as long as glass is making big bucks he’ll take a
    low guy like moore.
    too bad…lots of great managers we could hire who would take this
    teamtothe next level.