“Kansas releases statement Joel Embiid has a stress fracture in his back. Out for Big 12 tournament, likely for first weekend of NCAAs.”
Andy Katz, @ESPNAndyKatz, Twitter
GH: When KU sent out this statement early Monday evening it sent Twitter all a flutter. And also a few hearts who follow KU basketball – and some who follow it for alternative reasons. When news hits that a top-three pick in the NBA draft might miss some or all of the NCAA tourney, people react. Read on.

“This week is important, but it pales in comparison to the importance of what happens after this week. We want him as healthy as possible for the NCAA tournament. We want him as close to 100 percent as possible for that.”
Bill Self, when asked if he thought Embiid would miss any NCAA games, SI.com
GH: Self sounds very optimistic at this time that his freshman center will be healthy and playing next week for Kansas. Is that good or not so good that Self is optimistic – or should we say eager to get Embiid back on the court? I think it is a very interesting question to ponder.

“Some college coaches would get criticized for even allowing a potential No. 1 pick to come back and play under these circumstances. Self is one of the chosen ones. Nobody will go after him.”
Dan Wolken, @DanWolken, USA Today writer, Twitter
GH: It has been reported that it was Embiid who sought the second opinion from an LA doctor on his back. It was in LA where word came that he had suffered a stress fracture. Some questions that need to be asked… Why didn’t KU’s docs find the stress fracture? Is there really a stress fracture or is this an excuse to save Embiid from further injury prior to the draft? Is it really in Embiid’s best interest to play with a stress fracture when he could be just months away from signing an NBA contract?

“KU fans will all say, ‘The kid needs to get out and play! He needs to think about the team and not himself.’ On the flip side, if you’re not a KU fan you want KU to lose. So KU is just a rotten meanies and all they care about is just winning games.”
Nate Bukaty, responding to a listener’s email that accused Kansas of not having Embiid’s best interest at heart, 810 AM

“I think (Bill Self) has every one of those kids’ best interest in his first thought.”
Jake Gutierrez, 810 AM
GH: Nate and Jake are both big KU fans. I get where their coming from even if I would prefer less fan in their fantasies. But what is Arkansas-educated TJ Carpenter’s excuse? Read on.

“Joel Embiid out for the Big12 tournament AND first weekend of NCAA. Bill Self won’t jeopardize Embiid’s career to win. RESPECT.”
TJ Carpenter, @TJCarpenterWHB, Twitter
GH: This is exactly the opposite I want from a young guy breaking into the sports media business here in Kansas City. TJ goes on Twitter shortly after KU’s statement and he lauds the actions of Self – which may be absolutely in Embiid’s best interest. But they also might not. Maybe Self is just trying to keep KU’s hopes for a one or two seed alive with his optimistic look at the injury. I would prefer Carpenter looked at this more like a journalist than a fan.

“Sitting on the throne strips kings of the advantage of using the effective Rodney Dangerfield motivational device. The Kansas University basketball team never gets to pull that club out of the bag. … Until now. … If the players can turn such a fate into a slap in the face and find a way to advance to the Sweet 16 without their gifted center, picture this scenario: Embiid jumps center in a regional semifinal game. In Indianapolis. Against Wichita State.”
Tom Keegan, columnist, KUSports.com
GH: Does Keegan really think Kansas gets to play the underdog role because they’ll have to play a senior at center in place of a freshman? Yes, helluva freshman but Tarik Black ain’t Ryan Rosburg. Self deserved to be the Big 12 COTY but he was not even in contention because he recruited more depth on this team than the British troops at Bunker Hill.

“This is a very offensive-line heavy draft with a lot of good quality in it. Andy likes to draft his team from front to back. I would very much expect an offensive linemen to be drafted very high again (by the Chiefs) because there are some very good players there. Three of those tackles are better than (Eric Fisher). He’d be ranked behind three or four of them right now if he was coming out in this year’s draft. That’s not a slight against Eric Fisher. That’s just reality.”
Louis Riddick, former personnel director with the Eagles when Andy Reid was their head coach, 810 AM
GH: Riddick knows Andy Reid and his thought process when it comes to the draft. We have been led to believe though that John Dorsey calls the shots in the Chiefs’ war room. But Dorsey did draft Eric Fisher with the number-one overall pick last year.

“There will quite possibly be the player ranked highest at his position available at a position of need when the Chiefs draft (at the 23rd pick) – which is the sweet spot. And there is a very good chance that that position will be an offensive lineman again this year. It might not be sexy but you have to do it.”
Louis Riddick, 810 AM
GH “Have to do it?” No. Kevin Kietzman’s head will explode. If the Chiefs pick an offensive lineman with their first pick he better be able to run one helluva post-corner route.

“I’m here to tell you John Asamoah is stiff and un-athletic.”
Soren Petro, while discussing of the loss of the Chiefs linemen to free agency, 810 AM
GH: And these guys get upset when someone critiques their work on the radio?

“Punch the flipping button, you jerk!”
Danny Parkins, who was upset about being stopped by a listener while he was out on a date Saturday night who told him he didn’t like one of his show’s segments, 610 AM
GH: Parkins, Josh Klingler and Bob Fescoe spent a portion of the Monday morning show whining about how their listeners think they have a right to stop them or email them and tell them what they don’t like about their shows. It sounded much like three stray cats licking each other’s fur balls. Read on.

“I had a guy tell me he listened to the show but then he kind of waivered and said, ‘But I like the other one better.’ People think that’s very okay to tell you they don’t like you. They think it’s okay to tell you they like your competitor better.”
Josh Klingler, 610 AM
GH: Would Klingler prefer the listener blew smoke up his mic? Grow a thicker skin, ladies! You can always quit radio and get real jobs.

“I’m like, ‘Where do you work?’ Can I go there and stomp my feet and say, ‘You should be fired!’ Wherever you work, I use your competitor too.”
Josh Klingler, on how he responded to the guy who listens to The Border Patrol, 610 AM
GH: The listener probably works somewhere where his job doesn’t depend on the public enjoying his personal work – which is exactly where Klingler works. When did radio people become so damn needy? These guys sound like they’d make great dates for Juan Pablo.

“Let’s go to your (company’s) website and find your boss’ email and I’ll write him an email. I feel like bi-weekly I’m being called in (by my boss) and told someone is calling for your firing or they had a problem with this. Who are these people? Who are these people?!”
Danny Parkins, 610 AM
GH: Parkins should be celebrating the fact listeners are reacting with emotion to his show. Did this guy not learn anything at Syracuse? Evoke passion from your audience and you will always have a job in the media.

“I don’t know how it works in your world where you work but that’s not how it works in our world. People say stuff that is socially unacceptable because they don’t get it.”
Bob Fescoe, continuing to lecture listeners who don’t like their work and approach them in public, 610 AM
GH: Say stuff that is socially unacceptable? Has Fescoe ever listened to his own show? He became famous for five minutes a couple of years ago when ESPN replayed his crazy-man rant that ripped an entire franchise.  But Fescoe can’t handle a terse email from Kenny Kenny?

“People kind of get excited to come poke fun at me (when Kansas loses a basketball game). They think I’m like crying somewhere in a corner. I haven’t cried since they lost to Arizona in 1998 when I went outside and screamed. That’s the last time I cried after a KU game.”
Bob Fescoe, 610 AM
GH: If you are over the age of five and crying over any sporting event that you did not participate in, you should probably keep that information between you and your husband.

and Twitter @greghall24

70 Responses to OTC: Embiid’s Back Leaves Doubt For KU’s Season & Self’s Motivation / 610 Cats Whine About Critics

1. kylerohde says:

Are radio hosts really journalists? We had a lot of discussion about that last year when SSJ took that fanboy picture with Andy Reid right after he was hired. It’s an odd thing because they’re out at press conferences and events like journalists (except KK, of course), but don’t report on almost anything. Their job is entertaining and filling four hours a day with discussion that gets people to listen, so it’s hard to call what they do real journalism but I don’t know what else to call it either.

• Anti-Greg says:

Most political talk show host don’t consider themselves journalists. They’ll tell you their talk show hosts. But most journalists are not journalists either.

Journalsim died in 1994 when two Washington reporters took down then the most voted for president in US history. Took him down with the testimony of a bitter FBI agent who thought it was his birthright to take Hoover’s place when he died.

• Paracelsus says:

if you’re talking about Nixon, you’re off by decades, and if you’re talking about Watergate, your misunderstanding is staggering.

Sports talk is sports entertainment, period.

Thin-skinned, immature, whiny, hypocritical pussies. That’s every single talk-show host in this town. They spend all-day, every day critiquing local and national sports figures. They also talk about crappy service they had, a bad experience with some company or how they were treated by some schmuck from another media outlet. If this ISN’T commenting on someone’s job performance, I don’t know what is. Grow a pair, you over-sensitive tools.

3. Steve says:

While the whining by the radio guys is annoying, seriously, who goes up to a guy on the radio out in public and tells him he kind of likes his show but listens to the other station? Seriously, everything else is no big deal, but that’s a dick move.

4. Jayhawk Craig says:

Dang, I knew Kylerohde couldn’t resist commandeering another OTC. Kyle, it isn’t written in to law that you have to comment on everything ever written by Greg. Take a break and go back to work.

• Alphonse Tooty says:

Kyle jizzed his pants when Greg used one of his tweets. He’s been trying deparately ever since for a repeat.

• Jim says:

Yeah, Kyle! What the hell do you think this is? It’s not like it’s a comment section or anything! Oh, wait……

• kylerohde says:

Thanks Jim. Craig and Alphonse, clearly I’m the one who needs to get back to work, since you guys found the time to comment about me commenting too much. I think I’ll stop by a bar on the way home, drink a couple beers and tell the guy sitting next to me I think he drinks too much.

One of the things that makes this blog great is the comments section and the regulars that are part of it, which includes you two. Guess I just get singled out because I’m the only one whose picture isn’t a gray box.

• Jim says:

Yo dude! I was defending you. Don’t toss me under the “you post too much” bus.

• kylerohde says:

I know Jim. That’s why I said “Thanks Jim” at the beginning, before I responded to the other two. Thanks again though.

• Joe Blow says:

And you’re a gigantic KU apologist and root for like 96 teams..

• Alphonse Tooty says:

If that guy you’re sitting next to is making the rest of the bar patrons nauseous, then by all means, tell him he drinks too much.

Jesus fellas, get off his ass. He is one of the few people on here that makes rational statements. Plus he has a great name.

5. I wouldn’t be surprised if Fescoe’s husband, much like me, can’t stand to listen to much more than 5 seconds of the guy. So the airwaves may be the only outlet he has for sharing his emotions.

I’m a KU fan, but I think I know where TJ is coming from (scary though that is). Self knows big time recruits are watching how he handles Embiid, and he is doing the right thing from a PR standpoint. That message is “I care about the kids and their potential futures in the NBA”. Self is a great coach because he not only thinks about today, but is already thinking 2 and 3 moves down the road.

Without Embiid, I think KU ends up as a Sweet 16 team, and anything above that will be gravy. I don’t see a Final Four with this year’s team.

As for Fescoe and the Frat Pack, cry me a river. These guys whining is making me respect Petro and KK a little more. Your opinions will be questioned, deal with it and move on. These guys definitely aren’t ready for a huge mega market.

7. Brummy says:

GH:”If you are over the age of five and crying over any sporting event that you did not participate in you should probably keep that information between you and your husband. ”

Amen! Well said!

“This is exactly the opposite I want from a young guy breaking into the sports media business here in Kansas City. TJ goes on Twitter shortly after KU’s statement and he lauds the actions of Self – which may be absolutely in Embiid’s best interest. But they also might not. Maybe Self is just trying to keep KU’s hopes for a one or two seed alive with his optimistic look at the injury. I would prefer Carpenter looked at this more like a journalist than a fan.”

Wait. What? If Self was trying to keep any hopes (and there are none) of a #1 seed alive, he wouldn’t say anything at all about Embiid being out. He would be saying “He’s out for the Big XII tournament, but he’s probable for the NCAA Tournament and w’ere going to keep him in rehab and monitor the situation but we’re very optimistic.” There is NO WAY he is as forthcoming about this if Self is trying to keep alive his hopes for a high seed. I understand that you’re trying to stir the pot here, Greg, and to find an ulterior and unsavory motive wherever you can, but what reason do you have to doubt this at all other than the fact that you seem to have a cynical view of human nature? Which isn’t to say that it’s wrong to view humanity cynically, just that in this specific set of circumstances you’re more than happy to toss the bomb but with absolutely zero reason to do it other than the cynicism itself.

• BlackJack says:

If you think that is bad was GH said, you outta hear KK and Colonel Clink on the airwaves today, opening show abolsutely breaking down the Embiid injury/controversy as if it was an espionage conspiracy of Bay of Pigs proportions.

KK and Clinkscale, are spinning, straining, slicing and dicing, calling on all thier Deep Throat sources to try to dig up some kind of big brouhaha over the way KU/Self handled the news of Embiids stress fracture. Even going so far as to say that Self is losing his touch, Embiid is “going rogue” and other coaches will negatively recruit against KU.

9. Renton says:

“Why didn’t KU’s docs find the stress fracture?”

According to the statement the university released Monday night, the KU docs did diagnose the stress fracture. Embiid went for a second opinion that confirmed it.

• Gavin says:

DAMMIT RENTON! What the hell do you think you’re doing, destroying Greg’s carefully crafted narrative that the KU community is completely and venally interested in only its own parochial interests and is willing to engage in a conspiracy to further its own nefarious ends?

• T-rex says:

And none of the doctors in KS believe in evolution, so they’re terrible at medicine..

• john doe says:

They didnt want to find it, which is why Self said he was going to play. Embbid took it upon himself to get a real diagnosis. Who paid for that flight? Did Prince Hakeem wire him some money?

What kind of African tribe member names his son Joel? Does he have a white parent, or is the whole Africa thing made up?

• Tim says:

I’m retired from the federal government, and I would see information containing an entire family. The funniest ones were the oriental families where 3 of the first 4 kids had obviously oriental names, and the 4th kid was named Bobby.

10. Joe Blow says:

That says to me that he’s going to be out this week since the NCAA tournament bid is already locked up, but Embiid better damn well play in the big tournament. I don’t think Self has his player’s interests in mind in the slightest..

11. Phaedrus says:

So it’s perfectly fine for Parkins to call for Ned Yost’s or Scott Pioli’s firing, but a listener isn’t allowed to call for Parkins’ firing?

I didn’t think 610 could hire someone worse than Nick Wright. I was wrong.

• Gavin says:

That’s an excellent point. And not only do they call for the firing of guys like Yost and Pioli, but they invite listeners, presumably the same guys who they don’t want to hear from when THEY are the ones being criticized, to call in and demand the firing and/or cutting of guys like Pioli, Yost, Frank Haith, Matt Cassell and god knows how many other players.

If you’re going to dish it out, learn to take it fellas.

12. John says:

Just curious….and no I am not implying anything but more for general knowleged. Who pays for a student athlete to go to California to get a second medical opinion? Is that on the kid or can the university pay for that?

• Gavin says:

I’m sure that there are different answers n different circumstances, but in this case I’m pretty sure KU paid for Embiid to travel and for the consultation. If a parent had the resources and the school wouldn’t pay for it, of course they could do so but I imagine KU was happy to do it in this case.

• Joe Blow says:

Well, if you’re a KU fan…nothing happened! Any university is free to send a student to get a professional opinion 1600 miles away!

Otherwise, good question..

• glorious uproar says:

probably his agent

GH: “Self deserved to be the Big 12 COTY but he was not even in contention because he recruited more depth on this team than the British troops at Bunker Hill.”

Yeah, that’d be silly to give COTY to the coach who best prepared his team by recruiting quality depth.

14. Matt says:

I was there on Saturday night, when Danny Parkins got all pissy. It was at Gambal’s in Westport. My friend said he liked some segments of his show but not other parts. DP asked him what parts he didn’t care for and my friend told him of one segment he didn’t like (I forgot what it was, I am not a listener to DP’s show). DP told him to “f*ck off” and stormed off to the other end of the bar — but not before asking what my friend did for a living and then making fun of him for it.

Maybe the best part was that my other friend was having mindless chit chat with the girl DP was with (for about the 2 minutes that DP was talking to us). And, when I tried to clear the air by walking over to DP and apologizing if my friend offended him (he didn’t), DP blew me off and said that my friend should “f*ck off” and so should my other friend that was “creeping on” his “girl.” That friend that was supposedly “creeping” on DP’s “girl” just got engaged a couple weeks ago and, trust me, had no interest in his girl.

I was actually embarrassed for DP. He came off incredibly small and insecure.

• GB says:

The funny thing is this kind of insecurity is why he actually has a DRIVETIME slot in town. The reason 610 is still on the air and Entercomm hasn’t made a switch as it must still be a tad bit profitiable. Based on the ratings they can’t sell the commercials and remotes for very much so these young guys they filter in and out of 610 over the years are vastly underpaid. At least they would have to be to keep 610 making $$ based on the cheap spots they sell. They’re not making the 80-120k the 810 boys make they’re lucky to make half that. They are woefully underpaid and them being the young insecure twats they are is why they have a job here. That is all.

• Phaedrus says:

I think Parkins insecurity comes out on his show. Anyone that brags about how much they gamble is pretty much an insecure fellow. That’s like bragging about how much you drink. It might be normal in college, but if you’re still bragging about it when you’re in your mid-20s or older, you’re pretty much a hopeless loser.

Greg, make sure you listen to KK today. He is on another of his anti KU conspiracy rants regarding Embiid’s treatment and his latest attempts to take down Self and KU basketball. He keeps talking about facts as opinions. He is in full assclown mode today.

16. Kyle says:

It was 97 Fescoe, not 98. That guy really gets worse every day.

17. Mikey says:

To all you ass wipes making fun of Kyle, go screw yourself! I can’t fuckin believe you are that petty! I love his commentary and should have his own radio show or at least his own blog!! ON behalf of 99% of the people reading this, we LOVE your post Kyle!

18. Rory says:

The sexual tension in this room…..

19. Jayhawk Craig says:

Funny as Hell! Keep the faith Kyle and don’t back off!!
    P.S. Are you in sales?