OTC: Frankamp Chooses To Leave KU / KSU & TCU In Elimination Game Saturday

“I’ve been thinking about this for a while now. I love KU and I love the Jayhawks. I feel like I’ve improved quite a bit since I’ve been here. I love my teammates but I just don’t feel like it’s the right fit for me. We have many good guards and so many big-time players. I want to be at a place where I could play a bigger role.”
Conner Frankamp, on his decision to leave Kansas before the start of his sophomore season, ESPN.com
GH: Selfishly, I wanted to watch Frankamp play his college career at Kansas, where I could see him play almost every game and follow his progress closely. But college kids need to go to school where they think they fit best and what is best for the four years of eligibility the NCAA grants them. I wish the Wichita Wonder all the best and I hope he lights up whatever backcourt he ends up in.

“Absolutely shocked (that Conner Frankamp left Kansas), to be honest with you. This (Washburn game) is a game I think he would have started for sure. It’s a hard perspective for me because Kansas is everything to me. I can’t imagine leaving this place. But everybody’s got to do what they’ve got to do and I wish him the best.”
Chris Piper, when asked by Mick Shafer his thoughts on Frankamp’s decision to leave Kansas, Time Warner Cable Sports Chanel
GH: I understand that Piper is Kansas through and through but I would like to think someone with his experience would be more understanding (at least publicly) about Frankamp’s decision. KU is loaded with young guards and playing time is going to be tough to come by the next three years. I would not be surprised if one or two more good players decide to find a needier team to ply their game.

“I don’t see (Frankamp’s) dad’s name in the press release and that makes me think his dad meddled too much.”
Aaron Swarts, 810 AM
GH: The dad always seems to be labeled as the bad guy in these player transfer scenarios. I find that interesting because it is the dad who usually is the one variable here who is looking out for the player’s best interest. Because guess what? Kansas or Missouri or Nebraska or Kansas State shouldn’t be “everything” to these young athletes. The school should simply be a tool to achieve their goals. We too often lose sight of that with all this rah-rah hysteria pumping through alums’ veins.

“If he plays up to his capabilities like I think he can, I think he can be the best player in our league.”
Bill Self, on KU’s junior forward Perry Ellis, Hawk Talk
GH: This comment kind of shocked me. I like Ellis’ game but he doesn’t look like a dominant presence on the court to me. Self said that Ellis’ practice sessions this season have been sensational.

“Cliff (Alexander) is big and strong but he doesn’t really know how to play yet – but he’s going to be a monster.”
Bill Self, on his much-anticipated freshman center, 810 AM
GH: This is the guy who looks like he could be the Big 12’s MVP. He moves with the ball like he was born with it in his hands. Smooth just begins to describe this youngster’s game.

“It was worth five wins. Whatever our win total is at the end of the year, Bill Self gets five. What an incredible guy.”
Bob Chipman, head basketball coach at Washburn, commenting on Self making a point to come to their Sunday evening practice at the Fieldhouse and speaking to his team, Jayhawk Radio Network
GH: Chipman has been the head coach at Washburn since 1979 and he said he even learned some things from Self as he listened to the Jayhawks head coach address the Ichabods.

“Every team needs that guy with that crazy look in his eye that makes you think, ‘Is that guy coming after me or not?’”
Bill Self, reminiscing about Thomas Robinson’s intimidating game when at Kansas, Hawk Talk
GH: Self likes a little crazy in his players. It might not fit what some Kansas fans think of their teams but Bill Self is a heck of a lot more like Norm Stewart than he is Roy Williams.

“If everybody in the league were like Phil Pressey, it would be tough for him to make it because of his size. But he’s unique. He has a strong will, he’s a great competitor, and he’s very athletic. He’s used that athleticism defensively, and he also has a good outlook. You don’t see any complaining or whining about his role. He’s just 100 percent grateful to be here. It’s refreshing to be around Phil.”
Danny Ainge, Celtics president of basketball operations, Boston Herald
GH: I was pretty certain that Flip was making a mistake leaving Mizzou a year early. He was not. Read on.

“There’s a big difference (between last year and now). My shooting has improved a lot, and my study of the game and feel for the game is better just because of watching a lot of film with the coaches. That’s really helped me as a player. The more you’re in the gym and the more you’re talking to your coaches, the better you’re going to be.”
Phil Pressey, Boston Herald
GH: It would have been fun to see Paul Pierce play alongside Phil Pressey. Oh well, the Celtics will continue to be one of the NBA teams I continue to follow.

“I think it’s exciting news that the Cats are seventh and not eighth, ahead of Michigan State.”
Soren Petro, on K-State leaping over the Spartans in the college football playoff poll, 810 AM
GH: I find it pretty ridiculous that anyone is paying much attention to the weekly playoff rankings. K-State and TCU will settle quite a bit this Saturday night. But the problem is that seventh or sixth or fifth is not going to cut it for those teams looking to play for a national championship. We need a 12- or 24-DI team playoff. Picking four teams by committee might just upset enough of us to get that done sooner rather than later.

“Well, you could just go to the mall and make money. I think it would be a negative effect on college football.”
Gary Pinkel, when asked by Danny Parkins why he opposes allowing college athletes to profit from selling their autograph, 610 AM
GH: It would sure beat college athletes going to the mall with no money.

“We’re going to be open-minded in bringing Billy (Butler) back. We’re just going to have to see where it fits.”
Dayton Moore, in an interview with Kevin Kietzman, 810 AM
GH: Butler is probably the most popular Royals player since George Brett. It makes a lot of sense for Butler to go to the National League and play first base for some team needing a bat. I think the next time we see Billy he will be wearing another uniform.

“Lorenzo Cain has probably been penalized by the change (that Gold Gloves are now awarded by outfield position) and Alex Gordon has benefited from that because he probably doesn’t win four straight Gold Gloves if they did it the way they used to – because pretty much it would always go to three centerfielders.”
Nate Bukaty, 810 AM
GH: Alex Gordon might be the best defensive left fielder I have ever seen. Lorenzo Cain might not be the best center fielder to play the game but there are not many better. I think Cain’s first Gold Glove comes next season and the only thing that will stop them from keep on coming is his health.

“I’m 60 years old. My birth certificate tells me I’m that old but I don’t feel that old. I think another two or three years would be good for me.”
Ned Yost, when asked by Soren Petro how long he would like to continue to coach the Royals, 810 AM
GH: This comment shocked me. It makes me wonder if Ned would have retired this season if the Royals would have won the World Series.

“Never. Never. And I’m sure I never will again. Even if the Royals were to win Game 7 here in Kansas City I don’t know if it would top last night. I don’t think it would meet the raw emotion. I don’t know that we will ever feel that again.”
Ryan Lefebvre, when asked if he’d ever seen a game like the Royals win over Oakland in the Wild Card game before, 610 AM GH: We saw some wild, crazy and heart-stopping baseball in the month of October but I will have to put that Wild Card win over Oakland at the top of the list. What that game did is set the stage for the ensuing mania that followed in the Angels and Orioles and Giants series. That one game pretty much changed the course of the Royals season and possibly their future. I still think that game could produce a great book in the right author’s hands.

“Rip jeans, no tie, jersey left unbuttoned, telling stories. Joe Maddon at a press conference.”
Buster Olney, @Buster_ESPN, Twitter GH: I don’t know if the Cubs can be more beloved by outsiders as a franchise but they just hired the one guy who might ratchet that affection even higher.

“Joe Maddon gets $5M a year for Cubs gig. Tommy Lasorda’s 1st contract w/Dodgers signed in ’76 paid him $50K/year ($200K in today’s $)”
Darren Rovell, @darrenrovell, Twitter GH: That is going to buy Joe a lot of pizza and hot dogs.

and @greghall24

45 Responses to OTC: Frankamp Chooses To Leave KU / KSU & TCU In Elimination Game Saturday

I guess college athletes are the only students that don’t have money when they go to the mall. Good to know.

“It might not fit what some Kansas fans think of their teams but Bill Self is a heck of a lot more like Norm Stewart than he is Roy Williams.”

Well, not for nothing, but he does have Final Four appearances and NCAA championships in common with Roy and in contrast with Norm.

I KEED! I KEED MIZZOU FANS! I MAKE JOKE WITH YOU!

3. Hot Carl says:

I don’t blame Frankamp a bit for leaving. Dude isn’t going to play in the NBA or anything so why play 10 minutes a night as a role player at Kansas instead of playing 35 minutes a night as a star somewhere else? I totally get it.

• Kyle R says:

Yep. He should have gone to Creighton, Northern Iowa, etc. or stayed home at WSU to start.

• Mike says:

Exactly.
      Piper’s comment also floored me. Washburn? You mean Frankamp had a shot to start vs Washburn? Fucking WASHBURN?!
      Damn. What an honor. Getting to start a freaking meaningless exhibition game. And then when the season really begins, getting relegated to the bench, and receiving 8-10 minutes a game the rest of the year.

Christ. By the way, these awful exhibitions are about as worthwhile as the NFL’s fourth preseason game. I would say move the exhibitions off-campus, but even those two rotten glorified practices are a moneymaker to the athletic department (amazingly). Just (for the homer crowd…Piper, etc.) don’t piss crimson and blue and express shock that a homegrown guy is leaving when the tea leaves all say that he’s getting passed over. And Swarts’ speculation re: Frankamp’s dad is pithy at best. I’m sure Nate remained dutifully silent on all of this too.

Hopefully Marshall has a spot for Connor at WSU, but I’m doubtful he will end up there. He seems like a Bo Ryan kind of guy to me. Hope he lands somewhere good and outshoots whoever platoons at the 2-spot for KU in the next two years.

4. mike t. says:

GH: “…I like Ellis’ game but he doesn’t look like a dominant presence on the court to me.”

and I would agree. he never seemed very aggressive to me, or acted like he was a leader on the team. but this year, he IS a leader and that can make all the difference in the world.

5. FJH says:

I like Billy Butler as a Royal, but are there other teams willing to pay him more? He is an average (at best) defensive 1st baseman, and he really doesn’t hit for power. As much as I like him, I wouldn’t mind seeing the Royals upgrade.

• Kyle R says:

We’d all like to see an upgrade but there isn’t one on the FA market this year – Butler is probably the best option unless the Royals would work out some kind of trade. So, I say bring Butler back at around $8M for two years?

6. Tim says:

As a Missouri fan, I have never been a Kansas fan or Bill Self fan. Recently, my 2 year old nephew was diagnosed with brain cancer and will have a very difficult road ahead battling it. Last week, his father, a huge KU fan, received a long voicemail from Bill Self himself voicing his concern for his son and best wishes for he and his family. Really cool deal. Pretty class act.

7. The Independent Rage says:

I can understand Ned feeling his age a little bit these days, and hence that “2-3 more years” comment. His job is such a tough haul, after all, dealing with that snarling pack of bulldogs that is the Kansas City media. How could he possibly endure all that for more than 2-3 more years?

BTW, didn’t Norm once wear a rug over that bald dome earlier in his career? If so, the similarities between him and Self are starting to become rather eerie.

8. Phaedrus says:

The Royals need a right fielder…I think they should sign Billy Butler. He plays RF, doesn’t he?

9. dohn joe says:

Every year, the Rug gets another marginal player to transfer out, opening up another future scholarship for an inner city athlete/student. You could tell by looking at Frankamp that he wasn’t a player. 6 foot white three point shooters are a dime a dozen. Looks like Perry Ellis will be the last in state white basketball player to graduate KU, or at least exhaust his eligibility. Enjoy Pitt State, Frankamp. Hope your buddies enjoy your stories about being in “the Show.” Get that degree, kid.
    Maybe we can share a cubicle in a few years

• Juan Valdez says:

Hey Dohn Joe – I bet he could lead your team to the Corporate Challenge Basketball Title. Is Perry Ellis white? I think you are confused, like that Seinfeld episode where Elaine thought she was dating an African-American and he thought he was dating a Hispanic woman.

• dohn joe says:

Maybe, but he would have to try out. We’ve got a pretty awesome PG from Washburn right now. Franks and Beans could probably come off the bench though.

Perry Ellis is not sponge worthy.

• Juan Pablo's Douche says:

Oh I am sure some fat girl at KU finds him sponge worthy. Maybe they let him throw flour to try and find their wet spots.

More cushion for the pushin. Is that a problem??

• Juan Pablo's Douche says:

Just don’t slide into a fat-fold thinking it is the love hole. Not sure if Ellis is smart enough to know the difference.

4.0 student. I think he can figure it out. If not, he might discover something new!

• Juan Pablo's Douche says:

4.0 Student in Home Ec. You really gonna try and say that he has earned a 4.0 by applying himself? He is Basketball Player at K U. His grades are handed to him.

• dohn joe says:

Makes sense, since Darrell Arthur was given grades and was actually ineligible at KU. Also, Cliff Alexander’s HS team had to forfeit their season because nobody had above a 2.0 GPA. Also, if I remember right, and I usually do, KU had their own little academic fraud case a few years.

• Juan Pablo's Douche says:

What?????????? Get outta here KU had an academic issue a few years ago??? How come none of these couch potato bloggers on here never bring that up? I am just at a loss to think that there was anything going on that is corrupt in Larryville. My many years of fraud training should have made it less surprising though.

• Mike says:

A dime a dozen? Okay. Then tell me who the dime-a-dozen three-point shooter was a couple years ago when KU fell to Trey Burke and Michigan…I’ll spare you the time. It was McLemore. And he was often deferential. Is he a dime-dozen player?
      Elijah was not a 3-pt machine that year (is that more/less than a dime-dozen?), and had turnover problems. Naadir was not a polished shooter.
      Frankamp was the Wichita City-League scoring record holder. Not a small, insignificant feat.
      Let’s not diminish it. His departure is not good for KU. The program will pull through it, but it’s not a good look when a homegrown guy with a pedigree of his departs.

• dohn joe says:

You missed the key phrase in my post, which was ” 6 foot white”

Frankamp lived every white Kansas kid’s dream. He played at Kansas for a few minutes before going back to where he belongs, the MIAA or Missouri Valley.

Good for him. He was treated like a king for a year, Now it’s back to reality. I hope he wears his KU basketball gear everyday at Pitt State, and lies to the girls about how important he used to be.

• Juan Pablo's Douche says:

dohn joe – nails it again. He is on a career high with his comments. I too hope he wears his KU gear around and carries his little Jayhawk Teddy bear they give those little premadonna’s. One thing though is he will need to scale down from driving his school bought escalade to his school bought Prius at an MIAA school.

10. ILuvBrummy says:

Greg, obvious attempt at trying to poke at the KU fans on the “Bill Self is a heck of a lot more like Norm Stewart than Roy Williams” comment. Then following up with Phil Pressey update. How about a Kim English update or better yet Jason Sutherland’s domination of the Show Me State games.

11. Juan Pablo says:

“Absolutely shocked (that Conner Frankamp left Kansas), to be honest with you.
    Chris Piper, when asked by Mick Shafer

Conner did not play much last year and Self brought in two more better guards this year. I would guess there will be one or two leave next year. Most guys that leave KU do not do well at their new school, I hope Conner goes to some mid major or a team like MU where he can start and be one of the best players. Good luck to him. .

• Fred Flintstone says:

Frankamp to MIZ ZOU? Nah, if he wants to stay/play regionally, and go to a Final Four, he’ll have to go to either one of the other KANSAS schools. MIZ ZOU hasn’t made it there yet, what would make him think they will anytime soon?

• mr slate says:

Those same people also never thought MIZZOU football would play in the SEC title game, yet they did, and are in line do repeat this year.

It will happen

12. BlackJack says:

“OTC: Frankamp Chooses To Leave KU / KSU & TCU In Elimination Game Saturday”

Wow, must be pretty slow day (week) in sports if these qualify as news headlines.

13. Bibi Jones says:

What’s kind of sad is that Frankamp was the best player in the state of Kansas his senior year of high school and he can’t even sniff the floor at KU. I guess that happens at a program like Kansas

Had he stayed he could have had a career like Greg Gurley.