“I agree that there are tactics on the field that are really, really important but there’s so much else that goes into the job that we can’t see that maybe Ned (Yost) really is good at, that maybe a really good tactician isn’t good at.”
Andy McCullough, Royals’ new beat writer for The Kansas City Star, in an interview with TJ Carpenter 810 AM
GH: I am going to christen this Royals’ season as “The Education of Andy.” McCullough seems like a nice lad, even a bright chap. But he doesn’t understand the Royals’ organization or Royals’ fans or Ned Yost any better than this former New York Mets’ beat writer can find his way around KCK. After listening to McCullough on multiple radio shows and enjoying his out-of-town perspective, it has become clear he just doesn’t know – well, much of anything. Read on.

“I’m getting a sense that a certain segment of the (Royals) fans get upset about anything. … I find it humorous how upset people get two days into a season.”
Andy McCullough, when asked on WHB’s The Border Patrol if he was hearing from a lot of Royals’ fans who are upset about Yost’s decision to push Yordano Ventura’s start back a week, 810 AM
GH: Every fan base has their Debbie Downers – (has McCullough spent any time getting to know Mizzou fans?) But Royals’ fans have earned every right to be skeptical of all decisions made by the home team. McCullough has much to learn and even more to experience here in the Land of the Yosted.

“I think Wade Davis is going to be great for them. I think that’s going to offset the loss of Hochevar.”
Andy McCullough, 810 AM
GH: Oh my, this is worse than I expected.

“Even if you don’t agree with what Ned Yost is doing, there’s a logic to it for the most part I think.”
Andy McCullough, 810 AM
GH: MUCH worse!

“I vowed after I bought the Royal Rumble this year I was not going to give them any more of my money! I was so angry… I’m 26 years old. I don’t need to be watching (WWE Network).”
Andy McCullough, Royals beat writer for the Kansas City Star, when asked by SSJ if he will be watching WrestleMania this Sunday 810 AM
GH: Speaking of the WWE, it dawned on me listening to Rex Hudler this week that he sounds an awful lot like Hulk Hogan. Read on.

“What a great opportunity to be here with a great young team like the Royals! It’s just a monster line-up now! We’ve got a line-up that is beautiful!”
Rex Hudler, in an interview with Lake and Binkley prior to the Royals home opener, 610 AM
GH: A monster lineup? The Royals and Yankees are the only two teams in MLB to not yet homer this season. These Royals might still be in hibernation but Hudler sounds like Vince McMahon when he spouts this kind of hyperbole. Somebody hit him with a chair.

“Rex Hudler, 10 seconds before an Aaron Crow pitch got by Sal Perez to allow the second Tiger run to score in the opening game… ‘We have our human backstop behind the plate,’ … and then 30 seconds of silence from him.”
John, OTC Email

“We love it Rex when you hop on and talk Royals on 610 Sports.”
Henry Lake, 610 AM
GH: There is a very definite dividing line between 610 and 810 when it comes to Rex Hudler’s work on Royals TV broadcasts. The guys at 610 Sports LOVE Rex. I mean they worship his corny enthusiasm and cartoon-like persona. The guys at 810 go out of their way to make fun of diminish these same Hudler traits. I think Hudler’s act is probably genuine but he appears to be on the TV to attract the most ignorant of baseball fans. The kind who like their baseball sweet, loud and completely Royals blue.

“I think (Moustakas) is capable of putting up some stinking big numbers.”
Al Fitzmorris, former Royals pitcher, on the Royals third baseman, 810 AM
GH: Moose will be the Royals most watched Royals hitter this spring. Jack Harry put up a graphic on his KSHB TV 41 broadcast Thursday night showing all the Royals’ hitters who are hitless or have only one hit after two games. I think that’s the kind of craziness McCullough was talking about when it comes to overreacting after just two games.

“It’s not going to take long for me to hit the panic button on Moustakas.”
Soren Petro, 810 AM
GH: I sure hope Moose gets a knock today. I sure hope I’m not typing that same sentence next week.

“They need to start scoring some runs or it’s going to get in their heads. I don’t see any panic there yet but I think it starts to set in if they don’t start scoring.”
Soren Petro, 810 AM

BkXsw0hCEAIw9eK“Seriously? Royals selling water from their fountain this year for $10.”
Darren Rovell, @darrenrovell, Twitter
GH: Is it autographed by Fountain Mom?

“Just went to @DraftDayMovie screening. Holding my full critique until it opens next week but classic Costner. Great storyline. Worthwhile.”
Johnny Kane, @johnnykaneKMBC, KMBC-TV sports anchor, Twitter
GH: If this movie about the NFL draft is above a 2, it might be the biggest upset of the season.

and Twitter @greghall24

19 Responses to OTC: KC Star’s New Beat Writer Needs A Royal Education / Rex Hudler Is Loved & Loathed / Moose Knocks

1. Kyle says:

As far as his Wade Davis bullpen comment, it is not without merit. He was lights out 2 year ago with TB out of the pen. Maybe that’s where he is most comfortable, similiar to Hochevar.

• red says:

Yeah, pretty dumb comment by Greg. Hochevar was similarly brutal as a starter (actually worse than davis). He shined as a reliever, just like Davis did two years ago.

2. The Independent Rage says:

Man, Fountain Mom had a nice rack, as I recall. I wonder if that broad’s still in the can? If not, she needs to make an encore appearance at opening day today. SOMETHING’S gotta entertain all those poor Royals fans, after all. They deserve that much at least.

Trashy hot. She’s a 6 after a six pack and a solid 8 after a 12.

• The Independent Rage says:

And by 3 a.m., she’s damn Bo Derek. Nothing quite like trashy hot soccer mom lushes!

• Phaedrus says:

Which is greater…Rage’s love of boobies or Gavin’s love of KU?

• The Independent Rage says:

I’ve never known a bosomy broad to peter out in round two. So he can have his love, and I’ll keep mine.

• Gavin says:

Make fun all you want, but you guys don’t know what it’s like when we’re alone. KU is completely different when no one else is around. When it’s just the two of us, it’s magic. KU never loses early, KU always hires the right football coach and track and field is as important as it was in the 1950s and 1960s.

• Gavin says:

But I also like boobs.

3. b12 says:

I listened to 610 for the DM interview and a little after. You’d think we’ve got a defending WS champion hitting the field. Holy crap, Lake and Bink are cheerleaders to the nth degree…

I was reminded quickly why 810 still has a preset button in my car. Not in love with them, but 610 is small market radio.

• Tigerpiper says:

And I don’t want to hear about their hookah, or “classic” movies from the 2000′s or apartment hunting. Christ.

4. kchoya says:

Maybe McCullough is bad on the radio, but he’s pretty good on Twitter and in the paper.

5. geoknows says:

The Royals may not have hit a homer yet, but remember, they and the Tigers are the only teams who have played only two games. Every other team has played at least three, if not more.

The Rays hit their first home run last night, in their fourth game of the season. Yes, that means that not even Wil the Great has homered yet.

Somebody should tell McCullough that not only is this not the first time KC fans have been abused by the Royals, this sin’t even the first time we’ve been abused in this exact situation (not starting Ventura). Anyone else remember them starting Sidney fucking Ponson on opening day? You’d think they’d find some creative ways to abuse the fans goodwill, but I guess a classic is a classic for a reason.

7. Ron says:

It has to be irritating for Ned to be second-guessed on every single decision he makes by Butaky and all the other sports talkers at 810. After all, these are the same blowhards who constantly proclaim that the manager only affects the outcome of 3-4 games a year. Obviously, that is a bunch of nonsense because all of their nitpicking shows they know the decisions a baseball manager makes affects every single game played by his team. I’m pretty sure Ned knows a hell of a lot more about baseball than Bukaty, Petro, KK, Harry, et al. No wonder Ned has such a sour attitude. He has to put up with constant second-guessing by the peanut gallery for 162 days+ each year.

• Harwood Benjamin says:

the sour attitude was fully in place from Day One of the Yost era. The criticism may or may not be overdone (though pretty mild compared with other Major League markets), but Ned arrived in town with a well-earned reputation as a dick.

• LLFish says:

Yeah, listening to 810 you would think that all of them are former baseball managers or owners or GMs or football coaches (pro and college). It also sounds like they think they are city planners with the constant harping on a downtown stadium. I wonder when Petro is going to get his next general manager job because he seems to know it all. If we would have hired him straight out of Syracuse we might be on 20 straight AL titles! Rany would be his lead scout.

8. estoniakat says:

I remember back in the day, baseball writers were all grizzled veterans who worked the beat for decades. And probably spent a decade or two working up to that throne, because it was considered THE beat to have.
    Now, the Star is replacing a guy like Dutton with a 26-year-old. Now disrespect to the writer, but he’s TWENTY-SIX. Does that say something about the media, the Star in particular, or the loss of importance of baseball generally (it’s been supplanted by the NFL)?

9. Memphis Minnie says:

“Now, the Star is replacing a guy like Dutton with a 26-year-old. Now disrespect to the writer, but he’s TWENTY-SIX”
    They are replacing most of guys with experience and knowledge with 26 year olds. Anywhere in any business. It’s not a good time to be without a gig at 57. He probably makes half of what his predecessor did.