“Now we have members of the media sitting in news conferences reacting to what they see on Twitter and then going up to Dayton Moore after the news conference saying, ‘Well, I’ve got to feed these hungry people that are on Twitter.’ And that’s how this became a bigger deal than it should have.”
Kevin Kietzman, who believes that Moore’s quote that he believes in a small way the Royals have already won the World Series was overblown by some members of the media overacting to what Royals fans were saying on Twitter, 810 AM
GH: Why shouldn’t the media use Twitter or any other form of communication to gauge the opinion of fans, other members of the media and the athletes and coaches they cover? Hasn’t the newspaper used the letters to the editor feature to gauge the pulse of their readers? Doesn’t talk radio allow their listeners to share in their 50,000-watt signal and express their often unedited viewpoints? Why wouldn’t a reporter or columnist use this additional information to have a better grasp of what he is covering?

“I think there’s some validity to the possibility that the reaction to what Dayton Moore said came about because a reporter is sitting in the news conference instantly after Dayton said it were watching people’s responses on Twitter. Then they lost context of the story because they were swayed by an overly loud overwhelming minority of sports fans.”
Kevin Kietzman, who said he heard from a member of the media he “tremendously respects” who told him Sam Mellinger was on his cell phone checking Twitter’s reaction as he was covering the Royals’ postseason wrap-up press conference, 810 AM
GH: Kietzman just doesn’t understand Twitter. He sees it the same as some Baptist view dancing. The truth is that Twitter is simply a tool to use just like sports talk radio. KK was attempting to use his radio show to embarrass Mellinger for checking Twitter during the Royals’ press conference. I see it as Mellinger doing his job and doing it quite well.

“I think (Twitter users) are a tiny percentage of all the fans who are out there and they do not reflect the general attitude of people who follow sports. It is an outspoken, outrageous group by and large.”
Kevin Kietzman, 810 AM
GH: Here goes Kevin Fortune again, blasting the art of modern day mass communication and those who use it to voice their opinions. The gall of these Twitter twits! They don’t even have the decency to have a millionaire purchase them a radio station!

“If you listen to that press conference that certainly was the money line.”
Danny Clinkscale, attempting to inject some sanity into KK’s rant about Dayton’s “World Series” comment, 810 AM

“It was about fourth on the list of things to be mad about.”
Kevin Kietzman, responding to Clinkscale, 810 AM
GH: I don’t know anyone who was “mad” about Dayton’s Moore’s dumb comment. I believe most were amused or dumbfounded. But if Kietzman doesn’t think that was the drop-dead best sound bite from the news conference he is either being disingenuous or has lost his nose for news.

“That’s the best way to describe what happens on Twitter. It is always an overreaction.”
Kevin Kietzman, 810 AM
GH: I thought that’s what people say is the best way to describe KK’s Between the Lines sports talk show?

“I put something on Twitter last night and it’s incredible that two words can cause that kind of stink.”
Jack Harry, referring to his tweet Tuesday night that read, “Go Cards!!!,” 810 AM
GH: It is a real treat for listeners when both Kevin Fortune and Mad Jack gang up to take on those foul-fingered folks on Twitter. Jack was just incensed that his followers were upset with him for a two-word tweet Tuesday night that read, “Go Cards!!!” Well, why would any of the 11K people who follow KSHB TV 41’s sports anchor have a problem with him tweeting for the Royals’ in-state rival?

“I live in Kansas City, Missouri. I LOVE Kansas City. I’ve been here 43 years.”
Jack Harry, attempting to make his case as to why Royals fans should not be upset with his Cardinals tweet, 810 AM
GH: I think Jack just answered my question. Does Jack think the St. Louis TV sports anchors can get away with tweeting, “Go Cubs?” Harry shows either his ignorance or naiveté – quite possibly both – by not being aware of his audience. Mad Jack has been living a cushy life in Kansas City for the past 45 years because of Royals and Chiefs fans – not that bunch of redbirds he followed as a kid. He can love the Cards all he wants but don’t do it on Twitter. Would Jack say, “Go Cards!!!,” on his KSHB TV 41 sportscast?

“I was portrayed as some ogre and some traitor. What in the world is going on that you don’t have the right to say, ‘Go Cards?’ And they come after you with pitchforks, man! This Twitter thing is unbelievable!”
Jack Harry, 810 AM
GH: Why did Harry want to post his, “Go Cards!!!,” note on Twitter? It is as if he was inviting the pitchforks. It’s not Twitter that is at fault here. As is almost always the case, it is the user, not the format.

“I’m cool. I’m on Twitter. But I don’t very often read the things that come back at me. I’m not interested in looking at that because I know what that’s all about. I’ll be darned if I understand how anybody in the media can take a look at people’s responses to them on Twitter and then alter what you’re doing in your media job.”
Kevin Kietzman, 810 AM
GH: Why wouldn’t a performer want feedback from critics? If Kietzman’s goal is to be liked, okay, ignore the feedback. But if his goal is to improve and grow his talent and show, Twitter is a great resource he is missing out on.

“My buddy Kato…”
Kevin Kietzman, 810 AM
GH: Sooooo, ignore Twitter but listen to Kato?

“Honestly, we’re not proud of this, it’s just the way it is. Twitter for all of our employees is grounds for dismissal. You’re flirting with it. If you put something on Twitter, do not put something on there that you wouldn’t say on the radio or write on our website.”
Kevin Kietzman, 810 AM
GH: This is news? What media employee is not aware that tweeting can be hazardous to your career? Just like talking, writing, drinking, etc. Again, Twitter isn’t the bad guy here. Poor decision making is the mistake.

“That’s what I think Twitter is – I think it’s a media marketing tool. I don’t think it’s a social device. I don’t think it’s a social network.”
Kevin Kietzman, 810 AM
GH: Twitter is merely a media marketing tool? And I thought Don Fortune moved his cat-pissed stained Oldsmobile to Florida.

and Twitter / @greghall24

33 Responses to OTC: Kietzman Rips Mellinger For Using Twitter To Cover Royals Presser / Mad Jack Just Mad At Twitter

1. Ptolemy says:

I almost tried to Retweet your, “Sooooo, ignore Twitter but listen to Kato?” line.
    Nice!

2. Floyd says:

I think the most shocking thing about any of this is that Jack Harry has 11k Twitter followers.

3. KevinB says:

.”..and get off my lawn!!” –KK

What more do you need to know about a guy that spends 20 hours a week giving NOTHING but his opinion on all subjects while bitching about everyone else doing the same thing. The difference is that he feels like his opinions are facts.

5. Bill says:

KK reads enough reponses to block people. I know that firsthand from a MU to the B1G tweet I made to him.

6. Orphan of the Road says:

So they let the monkey go and blame the monkey wrench.

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one. And they think everyone’s but their stinks.

7. THE Fake Ned (@TheFakeNed) says:

Baaahhhh… I don’t Twit the Twatter.

8. Darren says:

Twitter is probably very threatening to him. It’s a social network where the lowest-of-the-low can send an immediate message to the biggest names in the world – and even get a response. It’s a much different world than the one where he has the big red kick button and he doesn’t get the last word.

Twitter’s also a social network that’s taken over the “breaking news” crown from all, especially from radio. Gosh, I used to listen to radio partially because I felt “connected” to any news that might suddenly break, including 810 for Chiefs info. But today I’m finding most breaking news in my Twitter feed.

• T Rich says:

Great point by Darren! I believe he has hit the nail on the head here. When KK has an issue with something there is almost always a personal angle that is driving his opinion. Whether its personal or professional. I was thinking it was personal, but the fact that twitter makes him lose his “Breaking News” edge has to eat at him. If he can discredit it in any way, it opens that door back up to him.

9. royalsretro says:

POWERED BY FANS!!!

Except we don’t want to hear what you have to say on Twitter.

• JP says:

+1 Now that their station is “up and running” after 15 years. They don’t give a rat’s behind what any of our opinions are.

10. FJHeet says:

If Keitzman and Jack Harry hate it so much, why do they have Twitter accounts? Don’t send tweets, and don’t read tweets – simple. Stick your head in the sand, and keep imagining that you are loved by the public.

• Tim says:

So Jack is upset? Is he threatening to quit again like he did when KU BB fans railed him about his prediction for the team a few years back?

11. Kyle Rohde says:

Twitter is where people can make a small deal into a big one? This from the guy whose radio station morning show spent a solid hour (1/4 of their show) debating the merits of the trade that sent Baldwin to the Niners and Jenkins to the Chiefs. In the first quarter of the season, combined, those two guys have 3 catches for 25 yards.

Mountains out of molehills indeed.

12. John says:

KK is a ditz! He blocked me from twitter two years ago because I am a Mizzou fan and I was coming back at him for the whole Mizzou to the Big 10 fiasco. Good ridenence to him! Down here in DFW…sports talk radio stations would not tolerate Kevin and in fact would run circles around his panzy ass!

13. Old Man Kissel says:

Wow, excellent point by Rick Pitino and Rush Limbaugh about the ills of Social Media. Maybe KK wasn’t the Old Timer/ Don Fourtune that Greg tries to make him seem to be.

Social media has turned a generation into look at me, me first I want to be famous fame whores. Maybe he was just ahead of the curve.

810 scoops 610 once again…

Oh and a Michigan study about the I’ll of social media.

Once again. Maybe KK is just ahead of the curve.

Here is the perfect example of the ills of social media, from a University of Michigan study.

“A new study shows that Facebook may help people feel connected, but it doesn’t make them any happier. In fact, according to the research, which was conducted by the University of Michigan, Facebook use actually predicts a decline in a person’s well-being.

“The study used 82 young adults, all of whom had smartphones and Facebook accounts. The researchers then used experience-sampling to measure how the users think, felt and behaved by texting them at random times five days a week for two weeks. Each text contained a link to an online survey with five questions, including how the Facebook user felt at that moment, how worried he/she was and how lonely the user felt at that time. The study concluded that the more the subjects used Facebook during one time period, the worse they felt.”

“Additionally, researchers had the test subjects rate their level of life satisfaction at the start and end of the study. They found that the more participants used Facebook over the research period, the more their life satisfaction levels decreased.”

Here is the whole article. http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0069841

• John Giardino says:

Twitter is not going away…and it makes sports reporting very interesting. KK and Jack are just mad because they can’t say stupid stuff anymore without it being thrown back in their face in real-time.

14. Old Man Kissel says:

Wow, I guess this guy thinks KK is a, “Old Timer” as well.

Derek Medina, who admitted to shooting and killing his wife Jennifer Alfonso, is seen in an altercation with the woman he claims was regularly abusive. The clip also shows Medina leave the scene and quickly returns. Seconds later, a swirl of gun smoke clouds the camera.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/man-posted-dead-wife-pic-fighting-video-article-1.1459450#ixzz2ghs2R8NK

810 scoops 610 once again…

15. Old Man Kissel says:

I guess this guy is a, “Old Timer” as well.

810 scoops 610 once again.

16. Old Man Kissel says:

Comedy site, but makes a lot of good points. Main one is social networks actually prevent you from being social and networking.

Maybe KK…is just ahead of the curve.

810 scoops 610 once again.

17. Phaedrus says:

I actually agree with Old Man Kissel. I had a facebook acct for about 2 months. Im a bit slow, so it took me that long to realize I didnt give a shit what some guy I went to high school with had for lunch today.

Never bothered with twitter. Still dont have a smart phone. Cant understand why everyone spends so much time playing with their phones rather than interacting with the people around them.

• Johnny Utah says:

Twitter is great. It’s up to you to follow good people. It is way better than Facebook

• BlackJack says:

I will say that Twitter is a good tool to follow during sports events, and helps a user become more connected with other people’s opinions and thought processes and stay on top of trends and breaking news.

However, as a method of socializing with other people, it really does not lead to any more human interaction with other people, in fact quite the opposite. Most of time I spend on Twitter is a very solitary activity, usually me in a room in my house by myself, and probably detracts from time that I might actually be spending socializing with freinds or out in the public, etc.

18. Mike says:

Holy hell!!! Kevin Fortune!!!!

That’s PERFECT. The greater irony in all of this is that Don didn’t go all batshit insane on his show. He just aged out of his core audience.

19. JFP says:

Guys like KK and Mad Jack come from a time when they never had to deal with anyone disagreeing with them, except in a carefully controlled way. A person like KK must know that in the medium he’s in, people who hate him tune in just as much as the people who love him. The difference is now, the guy who sits in his car on the way home every day yelling at his radio “Kietzman, you’re an idiot!” now can actually contact Kietzman and tell Kietzman he thinks Kietzman is an idiot. Guys like KK don’t like that. Their job has been to have the last word on sports topics. Never would he ever think that anyone would actually question [i]him.[/i]

• BlackJack says:

JFP, KK definitely deserves to be called to the carpet for some of his inane comments, the problem is that alot of the guys who is yelling “Kietzman, you’re an idiot!” on Twitter are doing that for the sole purpose of doing that to try to stir some shit up, provoke a response, or angle for a flame war with Kietzman, because that’s how they get their jollies.

They don’t put their argument in a civil, intelligent manner, and really don’t have anything constructive to say. So unfortunately, for every person who may be able to have an intelligent, entertaining debate/discourse with Kietzman on Twitter, there are 10 other people out there whose reponses are absolutely worthless and inflammatory.

20. ksmarine1980 says:

Old Man Kissel went to the KK school of argument – if you don’t like what someone says simply talk louder and more often and hope they go away.