OTC: KK Snaps On-Air After Being Called Out By “Clowns”

“If you don’t like (my show), what are you doing listening? Why would people want to cal up and fight and tell me things I didn’t say because they didn’t listen? They get an email from some clown in a cubicle that thinks he heard something while he was on a conference call half listening to the radio! And then he texts his buddies and somebody tweets it out and it goes out on a website that I’m killing the DeArmonds!”
Kevin Kietzman, after hanging up on a caller who Kietzman felt misquoted him, 810 AM
GH: What Kietzman said about Mike and Gabe DeArmond was that he believed they were pushing the idea that Mizzou was headed to the SEC. He said it early in his show and did so with a touch of disdain in his voice. It is no secret that KK has been pushing his own agenda the past two months where everything is fine in the Big 12 and no school is going anywhere. When he was challenged by a caller on his comments Wednesday afternoon, he snapped. Kietzman is not familiar with having to substantiate the comments he makes on his show so it is understandable that he reacted like a rookie behind the mic. Read on.

“Don’t do it! I am SICK of the Twitter world and the message boards and the CRAP
that flies around of what I say here and who I am and what I am! I’m sick of it! And I know other guys on this staff are the same way.”
Kevin Kietzman, 810 AM
GH: I believe those guys sitting in cubicles listening to KK’s show that he refers to as “clowns” are actually customers for his station’s advertisers. Is Kevin looking to change 810’s slogan to Powered By Clowns? I have always thought Kietzman was more media savvy than this. He sounded like a spoiled, pompous prick as he ripped into the very people who have allowed him to live his easy JoCo life. It is these
“clowns” who have afforded Kietzman the opportunity to divorce his first wife
and marry a younger employee, lower his handicap into single digits and become
a minor celebrity in a town where he toiled for a decade as a lowly weekend
sports anchor.

“You people sound really stupid when you do this! You have no idea!”
Kevin Kietzman, 810 AM
GH: Covering the media for the past two decades, I have discovered one constant. Almost every member of the media who makes a portion of their living criticizing athletes, coaches and front office personnel recoil violently when the tables are turned and they become the target of criticism. When KK distorted the written words of author Michael Holley last week, Holley reaction was; “Misrepresented is being kind. I would call it a flat-out fabrication.” I would conclude that sounding “really stupid”
on Kevin’s show cannot be confined to the “clowns” who listen and call in.

“You get it too, Jack! You get it. Too! People think they hear you say something…”
Kevin Kietzman, 810 AM
GH: Kietzman blew a gasket during Jack Harry’s weekly in-studio appearance on BTL. Harry was sitting silently, listening and watching KK’s on-air melt down. Kietzman looked to him for support – something that all too often is freely given to Kietzman by those whose work for him. But Harry was not about to join hands in Kevin’s pity party. Read on.

“That’s part of it, Kevin! That is part of it! You have to accept it! You’re sitting in the chair with the microphone in your face!”
Jack Harry, 810 AM
GH: Kietzman teed it up for Mad Jack and Harry hit a line shot right back through KK’s soul. Harry sounded like a veteran broadcaster schooling a radio intern who was complaining that his chosen profession came with some bumps. Props to Mad Jack for refusing to play Clinkscale on this Wednesday.

“Then I’m gonna hang up on him when he’s telling me something I didn’t say!”
Kevin Kietzman, in response to Jack Harry’s words of wisdom, 810 AM
GH: Does this sound like a guy who has had the number-one sports talk show in Kansas City the past 12 years? If every KK listener switched him off when he uttered a falsehood or stretched the truth to fit his agenda, he would be living in Argentine selling used golf balls he fished from the pond on #16 at Painted Hills G.C.

“You have that power to do that. He doesn’t.”
Jack Harry, responding to Kietzman’s threat to hang up on callers, 810 AM
GH: I was proud of Jack Harry for looking Kietzman in the eye and telling him what he needed to hear. Unfortunately for KK, he refused to listen. Read on.

“New rule with the show; you tell me I said something I didn’t say, I’m gonna get an explosive sounder that sounds like a B-52 bombing some country in the Middle East! And you’re gonna be gone! Okay? No warning! Nothing! You’re just out!”
Kevin Kietzman, 810 AM
GH: I have a feeling with that attitude toward his clown listeners, Kietzman is not going to have to carry a lot of ammo on that B-52.

“I think the league is staying together and I think Missouri is staying. I think so far my guesses have been pretty good. I’ve got a pretty good record on that. If you go back and look at some of these national guys – it’s been brutal.”
Kevin Kietzman, 810 AM
GH: This is the same guy who told us for a month that A&M wasn’t going anywhere. It appears Kietzman has as much of a problem remembering what he said as us clowns who listen to his show. Jack Harry though seems to not suffer from selective memory when it comes to KK’s comments. Read on.

“You said Missouri was gone to the Big 10!”
Jack Harry, to Kevin Kietzman, 810 AM
GH: This isn’t some clown calling KK out — this is one of his closest friends. Read on.

“I did not! I never reported that Missouri was going to the Big 10! … I was very cautious (in my reports about Missouri going to the Big 10).”
Kevin Kietzman, 810 AM
GH: This is pure Kietzman – when the facts do not substantiate his agenda, simply change the facts. Last summer he was pounding his chest and breaking stories about not only Missouri going to the Big 10 but Rutgers as well. Let’s revisit some of KK’s comments that he apparently forgot. Read on.

“We’ve been down this road before. Missouri, Nebraska, Rutgers, they’ve all been invited.”
Kevin Kietzman, last summer, 810 AM

“The Big Ten Conference has extended initial offers to join the league to four universities including Missouri and Nebraska from the Big 12, according to multiple sources close to the negotiations. … Big Ten representatives have also told Missouri officials they
would like to have the entire expansion process wrapped up this summer with a formal
announcement coming no later than July (2010).”
Kevin Kietzman, last summer, 810 AM
GH: Missouri later confirmed they never had an offer from the Big 10. Kietzman has refuted their statement. So I guess Mizzou turned the Big 10 down, Kev?

“A lame duck athletic director and it’s about to be a lame-duck school.”
Kevin Kietzman, last summer, on KU’s situation in the Big 12, 810 AM
GH: Kietzman was more than happy to call Kansas a lame-duck school while the winds of conference alignment swirled about last summer. If you listen to him now, the Big 12 is stronger than ever and a rock of stability for Kansas, K-State and Iowa State.

“I think Arkansas is in play for the Big 12.”
Kevin Kietzman, last summer, 810 AM
GH: Wrong again, Kev. Somebody queue that B-52 sounder.

“If Missouri doesn’t go to the Big 10 now, they were lied to! There’s a blogger out there … there’s a theory out there that Notre Dame called the shots. That story may come out later.”
Kevin Kietzman, 810 AM
GH: It was the damn Irish that foiled KK’s Mizzou to the Big 10 report! It’s been a year but maybe that story is still coming. Heck, I’m a patient guy.

“If John Curry’s not looking for another job he’s doing his family a disservice.”
Kevin Kietzman, last summer on the
K-State athletic director, 810 AM
GH: KK wasn’t real happy with Curry last summer and what appeared to be the demise of the Big 12 and K-State’s puny options. I guess Kevin forgot about these comments. BOOM!

“How many times have I told; you can’t trust those people in Dallas!”
Kevin Kietzman, last summer, 810 AM
GH: Kietzman now paints Texas as the savior of the Big 12. It was Nebraska and A&M who couldn’t handle the Horns because of their petty jealousies. Seems Kevin has more in common with those Big Red fans than he lets on.

“Tell those Missouri people we don’t make the news, we just report it.”
Kevin Kietzman, last summer after he was informed by Todd Leabo that a number of Mizzou fans were expressing their dislike for KK while Leabo was on remote at a Tiger golf outing, 810 AM
GH: If only that were true. BOOM!

[email protected] and Twitter / greghall24

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

58 Responses to OTC: KK Snaps On-Air After Being Called Out By “Clowns”

1. W Jones says:

If you are hitting balls into the pond on #16 at Painted, you should probably give up the game. It is like 140 yards to clear it.

2. Chuck D says:

I love it. KK is a spoiled whiny brat of a broadcaster.

3. Fake Ned Yost says:

I’ve said it many times, I’m smack dab in the middle of Kietzman’s “target demo” – I have not, nor will I listened to his show for the past several months. I can only assume I’m not alone and that people are jumping off of his ship. His attitude has gotten old and his act has gotten tired.

For him to call me a clown is simply par for the course. (Pun intended.)

The guy is a douche and the faster folks stop listening to him, the quicker he’ll be able to retire to Arizona and clear the airwaves for someone more talented.

4. Jjskck says:

I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment of Kietzman on-air, but what did listeners have to do with affording him the opportunity to divorce and remarry?

• P says:

My guess is it’s the money he’s earning from the growth of the station. Getting divorced would be a hit but certainly wouldn’t leave him destitute…again just a guess.

• shecky says:

Absolutely nothing, Jjskck. But Greg has a blind spot when it comes to discussing KK. He can’t help but take cheap shots, rather than actually sticking to relevant facts and unbiased critique.

95% of what Greg writes is well-done and reasonable. Unfortunately, nearly 100% of what he writes about KK is half-truths, distortions, and score-settling.

• Jim says:

Here’s the deal on why I think it’s relevant:

A. KK is all about family and morality. He preaches daily about how he works “clean”.
        B. Rather than say ass or any other number of benign words that the other 810 hosts use, he says “you-know-what”.
        C. He bangs a younger employee and divorces his wife.

One of these doesn’t square with the others. Hey, I could care less who the guy bangs. Don’t even care that he got a divorce. It’s the order in which he did it that doesn’t jibe with the sqeaky clean image he likes to portray.

I think GH’s point was that his success on the radio, due to the “clowns” that listen, probably contributed to his ability to score the younger Ms. Kietzman.

• jjskck says:

Believe me, I’m with you on the moral hypocrisy of it all – the fake “aw-shucks / I’m an ol’ fuddy-duddy” act got old ages ago. I guess I can see GH’s point if he’s insinuating that he got too big for his britches (thanks to his ratings, salary, and “celebrity”) and ditched his wife for someone younger; it just seems a bit of a stretch and a personal attack more suited for an anonymous commenter.

5. Rob Desselle says:

Unfortunately Keitz has outlived his usefulness on the radio. He needs to reinvent himself. 12 years ago he was a breath of fresh air and always seemed much more prepared than Don Fortune who he was competing with. Now he is never as prepared as Soren or Nick Wright. Heck SSJ, who I love, is more prepared. He needs to up his game or get out.

6. Cliffy says:

I don’t take the guy seriously. He has no credibility. I view him solely as entertainment and that meltdown was entertaining.

• kcredsox says:

I would totally agree. I only listen when commercials are on other stations or I happen to turn it over right at the beginning of one of his meltdowns, classic.

7. J-Rok says:

Just started reading your posts since you and Nick Wright went at it a few weeks ago. Definitely a great read.

Keitzman has been this way for the 10+ years I’ve been listening. It always bothered me he would hang up on people who called him out or disagreed with him. Talking down to those who work in cubicles and calling the listeners “clowns” makes me dislike him even more. Used to be I switched between 610 and 810. It has changed to 610 and 1320 (Lawrence). I don’t even bother going to 810 anymore.

8. The Independent Rage says:

I wonder if KK has any concept of how much of a joke he is to a huge swath of his listeners. He’s just not taken overly seriously. I think a lot of people listen to him because they know he’s going to say crazy, unsubstantiated things and have meltdowns. It’s a lot of the same reason why all these mindless reality shows garner such big audiences. People like to look at train wrecks and demented people carrying on, for better or for worse.

• TangoAlphaLima says:

“I think a lot of people listen to him because they know he’s going to say crazy, unsubstantiated things and have meltdowns.”

That’s straight out of the course description for Radio 101 at the Bob Fescoe School of Journalism.

• The Independent Rage says:

I’d love to see a cage fight between Bullfrog and KK. Can’t stand either one of them, but this strange feeling tells me that I’d actually be rooting for Fescoe to whip Bloatface’s ass.

• Cliffy says:

What Kevin fails to understand is that as a media personality, when people DO NOT CARE what you say (see Fescoe), you have a problem. For whatever reason, a lot of people seem to CARE about his opinion and when they voice their disagreement he flies off the handle. Childish, really.

• The Independent Rage says:

KK has the train wreck thing going, and he has the Howard Cosell thing going. Greg always maintains that KK knows precisely what he’s doing. And I think to a large degree, that’s correct. But I also think there’s an aspect to KK’s audience that he doesn’t truly understand — people who give him no credibility whatsoever but rather tune in to see what kind of over-the-top, unsubstantiated controversy he’s going to start today!

9. JimD says:

One measure of Kietzman is that when he gets really upset, that usually mean that he knows he’s in the wrong, but won’t admit it. I have been listening to his show even before they bought WHB, and when he is misinterpreted, he will often patiently recount what he has said and explain it until the caller gets it.

Not so when he is wrong. He will then disallow discussion, interrupt the caller, and inveitably hang up on them. I have tolerated his growing faux rants at the top of his show to incite reactions and more listeners, the paid block advertisers like Smoke and Fire, and Racin’ Boys, and the growing loss of content through an increase of commercials, but have stayed for the content. But when you show disrespect to loyal listeners, you have crossed the line.

Kevin, I hope you are reading this. You need to take a hard look at yourself and admit that you were wrong. You would gain more support for it. As it stands, you are putting your credibility and your income at risk. And I say this as a long time listener who actually likes you.

10. TangoAlphaLima says:

Oh snap, Greg brought up ol’ Leatherface. It’s getting personal now.

11. Jip says:

It’s true. Keitzman doesn’t get sensitive like this unless he knows he’s wrong.

I’ll never forget when he reported that Markeiff Morris was driving around Scot Pollard’s car. He reported it as the next big scoop, only to find out that Morris legally purchased the car at fair market value from Pollard.

Scot Pollard calls up the show and needed to ask just one question to completely put Keitzman on the defensive: “Kevin, why didn’t you call me and ask what the deal was?”

Keitzman blew up, and his answer was something like “Because it’s not all about you Scot!!” whatever that means.

It was kind of sad, really.

12. Merle Tagladucci says:

“The cream rises until it sours.” – Laurence J. Peter

13. Observer says:

I’ve already mentioned that the only way you can take the bullhorn away from this brand of idiot is to boycott his advertisers. He has no other accountability. You’ll have to become very visible and public about boycotting his advertisers. That is, if you want to take his bullhorn away!

14. Bdogg says:

I was listening to this segment and the funny thing was the caller did not get to complete his thought. KK stopped him mid-sentence and then had his meltdown. I felt bad for the caller.

I’m not gonna bag on KK right now.

Kietzman’s done a GREAT job covering and reporting and talking about the Big 12 realignment story. (Has Nick Wright had ANY discussion of it?…the few times I flip over he’s defending under-age drinking and pot smoking or blathering about how the Chiefs need an elite QB….yeah Nick, so do 20 other NFL teams). KK’s hour with Harry is entertaining ’cause he sometimes purposely and sometimes naturally tweaks Jack. Harry is a bigger MU homer than KK is a Wildcat homer…and that’s saying a LOT. I think KK has nailed this story in regards to Missouri. KK still thinks Missouri will stay and I agree. He also says if they DO leave, then just go…the rest of us in the Big 12 will be fine. I agree again.

Missouri will think about everything and realize it’d be foolish to leave the KU rivalry, the basketball and football games in Kansas City, the chance to win the North division each year…and they will stay in the Big 12. Let them throw their little tantrum for a few days.

• kcredsox says:

Nice post Danny errr I mean nick.

• Cliffy says:

NOBODY knows what’s going to happen. If KK winds up being right it’s because he guessed correctly. If he’s right he’ll beat his chest. If he’s wrong he’ll never acknowledge it. I would contend that even Mizzou officials don’t know what they’re going to do yet but KK sure as hell doesn’t know anything. And you’re just hoping like hell that Mizzou doesn’t choose to do something that is not even an option for kU.

• jjskck says:

Well, based on the quotes in the story he’s guessed every conceivable option already. Brilliant way to guarantee an “I told you so” later.

• Hoof R. Tedd says:

How can Mizzou look forward to the chance of winning the North division every year when there is no North division anymore?

16. P says:

KK is always sure to let people know that he gets a good chuckle about those jerk Nebraska fans sending him emails telling him KSU is hosed when the Big 12 folds.

17. Joe Blow says:

Is that a clown from the walls of the Fun House?

Mmmm…after moving away, I really miss the Fun House…

18. Doodoo says:

Damn. Today’s column wasn’t just a HR. It was a walk-off shot that clinched a playoff spot. Props to Jack, indeed.

19. Ptolemy says:

Thing you folks are forgetting is it is more entertaining to listen to a douche on the radio than it is to someone who conducts reasonable debate and has a disturbing command of the current OBP for Dominican baseball players born on a Tuesday.

• MrOlathe says:

PT….I think GH (or a commenter) has covered in the past the Howard Stern rule. The people who like him listen for 1 hour, the people who hate him listen for 2 hours. As a sports/talk radio listener for 20 years in this city, I’ve probably listened to KK more than any other program. But I will go 6 months without turning to him because of some insanely made up story just to get reaction.

20. Superfreq says:

I find it telling Kevin doesn’t have yesterday’s monologue in the WHB audio vault.