OTC: KK Snaps On-Air After Being Called Out By “Clowns”

“If you don’t like (my show), what are you doing listening? Why would people want to cal up and fight and tell me things I didn’t say because they didn’t listen? They get an email from some clown in a cubicle that thinks he heard something while he was on a conference call half listening to the radio! And then he texts his buddies and somebody tweets it out and it goes out on a website that I’m killing the DeArmonds!”
Kevin Kietzman, after hanging up on a caller who Kietzman felt misquoted him, 810 AM
GH: What Kietzman said about Mike and Gabe DeArmond was that he believed they were pushing the idea that Mizzou was headed to the SEC. He said it early in his show and did so with a touch of disdain in his voice. It is no secret that KK has been pushing his own agenda the past two months where everything is fine in the Big 12 and no school is going anywhere. When he was challenged by a caller on his comments Wednesday afternoon, he snapped. Kietzman is not familiar with having to substantiate the comments he makes on his show so it is understandable that he reacted like a rookie behind the mic. Read on.

“Don’t do it! I am SICK of the Twitter world and the message boards and the CRAP
that flies around of what I say here and who I am and what I am! I’m sick of it! And I know other guys on this staff are the same way.”
Kevin Kietzman, 810 AM
GH: I believe those guys sitting in cubicles listening to KK’s show that he refers to as “clowns” are actually customers for his station’s advertisers. Is Kevin looking to change 810’s slogan to Powered By Clowns? I have always thought Kietzman was more media savvy than this. He sounded like a spoiled, pompous prick as he ripped into the very people who have allowed him to live his easy JoCo life. It is these
“clowns” who have afforded Kietzman the opportunity to divorce his first wife
and marry a younger employee, lower his handicap into single digits and become
a minor celebrity in a town where he toiled for a decade as a lowly weekend
sports anchor.

“You people sound really stupid when you do this! You have no idea!”
Kevin Kietzman, 810 AM
GH: Covering the media for the past two decades, I have discovered one constant. Almost every member of the media who makes a portion of their living criticizing athletes, coaches and front office personnel recoil violently when the tables are turned and they become the target of criticism. When KK distorted the written words of author Michael Holley last week, Holley reaction was; “Misrepresented is being kind. I would call it a flat-out fabrication.” I would conclude that sounding “really stupid”
on Kevin’s show cannot be confined to the “clowns” who listen and call in.

“You get it too, Jack! You get it. Too! People think they hear you say something…”
Kevin Kietzman, 810 AM
GH: Kietzman blew a gasket during Jack Harry’s weekly in-studio appearance on BTL. Harry was sitting silently, listening and watching KK’s on-air melt down. Kietzman looked to him for support – something that all too often is freely given to Kietzman by those whose work for him. But Harry was not about to join hands in Kevin’s pity party. Read on.

“That’s part of it, Kevin! That is part of it! You have to accept it! You’re sitting in the chair with the microphone in your face!”
Jack Harry, 810 AM
GH: Kietzman teed it up for Mad Jack and Harry hit a line shot right back through KK’s soul. Harry sounded like a veteran broadcaster schooling a radio intern who was complaining that his chosen profession came with some bumps. Props to Mad Jack for refusing to play Clinkscale on this Wednesday.

“Then I’m gonna hang up on him when he’s telling me something I didn’t say!”
Kevin Kietzman, in response to Jack Harry’s words of wisdom, 810 AM
GH: Does this sound like a guy who has had the number-one sports talk show in Kansas City the past 12 years? If every KK listener switched him off when he uttered a falsehood or stretched the truth to fit his agenda, he would be living in Argentine selling used golf balls he fished from the pond on #16 at Painted Hills G.C.

“You have that power to do that. He doesn’t.”
Jack Harry, responding to Kietzman’s threat to hang up on callers, 810 AM
GH: I was proud of Jack Harry for looking Kietzman in the eye and telling him what he needed to hear. Unfortunately for KK, he refused to listen. Read on.

“New rule with the show; you tell me I said something I didn’t say, I’m gonna get an explosive sounder that sounds like a B-52 bombing some country in the Middle East! And you’re gonna be gone! Okay? No warning! Nothing! You’re just out!”
Kevin Kietzman, 810 AM
GH: I have a feeling with that attitude toward his clown listeners, Kietzman is not going to have to carry a lot of ammo on that B-52.

“I think the league is staying together and I think Missouri is staying. I think so far my guesses have been pretty good. I’ve got a pretty good record on that. If you go back and look at some of these national guys – it’s been brutal.”
Kevin Kietzman, 810 AM
GH: This is the same guy who told us for a month that A&M wasn’t going anywhere. It appears Kietzman has as much of a problem remembering what he said as us clowns who listen to his show. Jack Harry though seems to not suffer from selective memory when it comes to KK’s comments. Read on.

“You said Missouri was gone to the Big 10!”
Jack Harry, to Kevin Kietzman, 810 AM
GH: This isn’t some clown calling KK out — this is one of his closest friends. Read on.

“I did not! I never reported that Missouri was going to the Big 10! … I was very cautious (in my reports about Missouri going to the Big 10).”
Kevin Kietzman, 810 AM
GH: This is pure Kietzman – when the facts do not substantiate his agenda, simply change the facts. Last summer he was pounding his chest and breaking stories about not only Missouri going to the Big 10 but Rutgers as well. Let’s revisit some of KK’s comments that he apparently forgot. Read on.

“We’ve been down this road before. Missouri, Nebraska, Rutgers, they’ve all been invited.”
Kevin Kietzman, last summer, 810 AM

“The Big Ten Conference has extended initial offers to join the league to four universities including Missouri and Nebraska from the Big 12, according to multiple sources close to the negotiations. … Big Ten representatives have also told Missouri officials they
would like to have the entire expansion process wrapped up this summer with a formal
announcement coming no later than July (2010).”
Kevin Kietzman, last summer, 810 AM
GH: Missouri later confirmed they never had an offer from the Big 10. Kietzman has refuted their statement. So I guess Mizzou turned the Big 10 down, Kev?

“A lame duck athletic director and it’s about to be a lame-duck school.”
Kevin Kietzman, last summer, on KU’s situation in the Big 12, 810 AM
GH: Kietzman was more than happy to call Kansas a lame-duck school while the winds of conference alignment swirled about last summer. If you listen to him now, the Big 12 is stronger than ever and a rock of stability for Kansas, K-State and Iowa State.

“I think Arkansas is in play for the Big 12.”
Kevin Kietzman, last summer, 810 AM
GH: Wrong again, Kev. Somebody queue that B-52 sounder.

“If Missouri doesn’t go to the Big 10 now, they were lied to! There’s a blogger out there … there’s a theory out there that Notre Dame called the shots. That story may come out later.”
Kevin Kietzman, 810 AM
GH: It was the damn Irish that foiled KK’s Mizzou to the Big 10 report! It’s been a year but maybe that story is still coming. Heck, I’m a patient guy.

“If John Curry’s not looking for another job he’s doing his family a disservice.”
Kevin Kietzman, last summer on the
K-State athletic director, 810 AM
GH: KK wasn’t real happy with Curry last summer and what appeared to be the demise of the Big 12 and K-State’s puny options. I guess Kevin forgot about these comments. BOOM!

“How many times have I told; you can’t trust those people in Dallas!”
Kevin Kietzman, last summer, 810 AM
GH: Kietzman now paints Texas as the savior of the Big 12. It was Nebraska and A&M who couldn’t handle the Horns because of their petty jealousies. Seems Kevin has more in common with those Big Red fans than he lets on.

“Tell those Missouri people we don’t make the news, we just report it.”
Kevin Kietzman, last summer after he was informed by Todd Leabo that a number of Mizzou fans were expressing their dislike for KK while Leabo was on remote at a Tiger golf outing, 810 AM
GH: If only that were true. BOOM!

[email protected] and Twitter / greghall24

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

58 Responses to OTC: KK Snaps On-Air After Being Called Out By “Clowns”

1. Arch Stanton says:

I’m so sick of KK’s BS. Why can’t we have reasonable decent drive time sports talk? If you’re sick too, I’ve set up a community where we can discuss what (if anything) we can do to stop the madness.

2. Hot Carl says:

We’ve known KK to be a liar and a douche since he got pulled over in Mission Hills with his pants down around his ankles. This shouldn’t surprise anyone.

3. DK says:

I’m indifferent about KK as a person–it makes no difference to me. I think Greg is just a butt-hurt Nubb who lets him get under his skin sometimes. You don’t need to take cheap shots.

I think Greg hit the nail on the head though with regard to “message boards and the twitter world.” I got Kevin so fired up about 10 years ago with a post about his horrible coverage of a certain team that he decided to personally insult me and go on an online rant about anonymous message boarders. This is still his number 1 pet peeve. There’s lots of radio guys who will tear down the messenger when you tell them they are wrong. These people are incredibly thin-skinned.

Anyway I’m a clown. I still listen to KK, and I enjoy the show in small amounts during football season. You just have to realize he’s the Best in the Biz at tweaking the listeners.

4. Babe Ruthless says:

KK is starting to crack. He is feeling the pressure because he has never been held accountable before. Also, while he does not want to believe that he is in Nick Wright’s rear view mirror, he is! That, more than anything, is driving him nuts. It’s wild to think about but listening to him lose his marbles may be compelling enough to put him back over the top in the ratings. Will he be able to hold onto his sanity long enough to see the finish?

5. Java Man says:

Greg, Any truth to the rumor that Union Broadcasting has banned the use of the word “hall” and now insist on corridor?

6. mancow555 says:

Kietzman is an out-of-touch douchebag liar and blowhard. That’s why I (a male age 18-35) turned the dial on his radio show long ago (probably around the time he was on a season-long tirade/petition campaign to change the ESPN Big 12 basketball announcers or doing an hour-long segment about grilling). The Kietzman is dead; long live Nick Wright.

7. Super Dave says:

To me it’s a riot how Kevin and Craig Glazer act the same way when anyone disagrees with them or shows then wrong.

Two peas in a pod you might say.

8. Cubicle Clown says:

A lot more of these calls (and, hopefully, subsequent meltdowns) might be coming. That caller was a frequent poster on Tigerboard.com, and many of those users are planning on calling in to try to get him to go nuts again. Should be radio gold!

• Super Dave says:

Friday might not be so boring after all.

• Babe Ruthless says:

Actually, the majority of KK’s Friday afternoon show is taped on Friday morning. He’ll say things like ‘We’re jam packed today so we won’t have time for your phone calls later in the show. So, if you want to call you’d better call now’. I’m pretty sure the entire 5pm hour is on tape..from Kevin Harlan through the ‘World Famous Picks Segment’. KK is out the door at 4:55 most every Friday.

9. R.H. says:

I second Jim D.’s post. An excellent description of Kietzman’s antics.

A noted sports radio expert said on Twitter after the Jack Trudeau/Kevin Wilson (Indiana FB coach) flare-up that the sports host has the last word. He could not be so wrong.

The listeners have the last word.

Sponsors listen to the audience. If the audience makes it clear that this type of thin-skinned juvenile “I’m always right” attitude is what they will not tolerate, they won’t listen and sponsors walk away from the show.

Hosts like Kietzman feel like they can throw their weight around and bully their listeners and callers if they disagree with even the slightest opinion of the host.

Kevin Kietzman is everything that sports radio is these days: talented, ego-centric, boorish, juvenile, and people still listen because they want to know what comes out of his mouth next.

10. RickM says:

Why is it when KK hangs up on a caller and berates him, it’s a sign of a thin-skinned talker losing it, but when Jim Rome does the same thing it’s cool?

11. Joe Johnson says:

CHOKE ON A DICK, KIETZMAN.

This was a tremendous Greg.

KIETAMAN: CHOAD OF THE CENTURY.

12. jtfris says:

When will we get some moderately balanced sports talk in KC? Listening to Kietz and Fescoe is like having a choice between TASS and KCNA.

13. DRitt says:

I tuned in during the middle of this Kietzman tyrade and waited as best I could for him to get back to the issues; I want sport-talk, not a personal diatribe anytime that KK feels slighted (which seems to be twice a day, every day).

It is fun to see Nick Wright putting the heat on– I have to imagine that Kietzman’s cohorts at 810 are secretly enjoying the pompous boor earning the wrath of listeners. Hilarious that listeners are embracing the “cubicle clown” descriptor!

810’s format drops off a cliff when the clock passes 2PM. For as much as I enjoy Petro’s show, Kietzman drops my interest level considerably– it is quite evident he is ill-prepared, phony, and condescending to his listeners. Great job w/ the 2010 quotes, Greg– Thanks for keeping the tool honest!

14. MissionHillInternNailer says:

H2K – how does my ass taste….

15. Scott says:

I think I’m one of the listeners that Mr. Olathe refers to. I listen to KK not because I agree with him (because usually I don’t) but because he is really good at what he does. He’s entertaining, and generally “wins” his arguments with listeners–not because he’s right, but because he truly is skilled in defending them. I once sent him an e-mail complimenting him on his campaign about the screens at the K, because it’s one of his few crusades that I actually agree with. I prefaced that e-mail with the statement that I liked his program, even though I often disagreed with him. His reply was (and I’m paraphrasing here, which gives KK the cover to deny saying it) something to the effect of “How could you disagree with anything I say? If you like the program, you have to agree with me.” It totally turned me off, and he completely missed my point, which is characteristic of how he is on his show.

16. Orville Sandusky says:

I believe that if KK did not have some bias in him, and some crazy passions, that his show and 810 would have gone kaput years ago. He works in Johnson County, Kansas. It may be the best market in the US for middle aged white people. He knows his market. I would say that.

17. DintheO says:

KK is cracking because everytime he looks in the mirror he sees Don Fortune. The old guy that was KK’s motivation to get into the booth back in the day. The days where he was the hunter and not the hunted. The days where the only thing he did was watch sports and talk about them. The days when he made fun of Fortune for doing family stuff instead of watching MNF or every Royals game.