“The Royals nearly broke through and made the playoffs last year, and there’s reason to think they take another big step forward to win an increasingly tough AL Central this year. This should be their year for a variety of reasons… I’ll take the Royals to win the division, the Indians to finish second and the Tigers third.”
Jon Heyman, MLB writer, cbssports.com
GH: You can read Heyman’s column here. Some of the reasons he cites the reasons for his Royals optimism being the signing of Omar Infante at second base, the additions of Vargas to the rotation, Aoki as the new leadoff hitter and Moustakas blossoming into what we have all wanted him to be.

“(The Royals) haven’t made the postseason since 1985, so a division title would be a huge surprise. But the Royals did win 86 games last year, they have the most athletic team in the league and they had the AL’s top pitching staff last year — and now they add a full season of hard-throwing Yordano Ventura. Youth is no longer an excuse. Manager Ned Yost has a team that is ready to win.”
Tom Verducci, sportsillutrated.com
GH: The Royals are no longer the easy joke on the Tonight Show. (I believe that distinction now resides in Minnesota.) But are the Royals ready to live up to the unprecedented expectations being placed on them by many in the national media?

“The Royals smartly upgraded a team that had its first winning season in a decade with a couple of effective veterans in Norichika Aoki and Omar Infante. They have a core of young talent that looks poised to make the leap together — particularly Eric Hosmer, Salvador Perez and Mike Moustakas. They’ve got Billy Butler batting cleanup in his age-27 season. They’ve got a solid rotation behind No. 1 James Shields, including a potential breakout star in the 100-mph-throwing Yordano Ventura, and a bullpen that was last year the best in the AL. In short, they’ve got all the ingredients to end their streak of seasons without a playoff appearance at a modest 28.”
Ben Reiter, sportsillutrated.com
GH: Not everyone is on a Kansas City BBQ high but there are enough nationally to put some pressure on this long-dormant franchise to produce a winner in 2014. The seasons filled with disappointment and excuses are dead. It is time. Is it our time? It is way past out time and now into our grandkids time. Play ball!

“One general manager recently told me that he expects St. Louis to win a strong NL Central by at least 10 games. This is a club without a weakness and with unmatched depth, as it has eight pitchers with upper rotation stuff and an outfield so loaded that Oscar Taveras, the game’s consensus third-best prospect, will likely be stuck at Triple A for most of the year. This team will be the majors’ first to win 105 games since the Cardinals themselves did it a decade ago.”
Ben Reiter, sportsillutrated.com
GH: I know a LOT of Royals fans hate the Cardinals and hate their fans even more. I am not in that fold. I grew up in the ‘50s and ‘60s when the Cardinals were almost everybody in the Midwest’s favorite baseball team. I was a Willie Mays and Giants fan but my dad and brothers were Cardinals fans from long before the A’s and Royals hit Kansas City. Sure, there have been some lulls in that storied franchise but their overall success since before my birth is just staggering. And here they are again this season with another winner. I was at game two and game seven of the WS in 1985. Sure would like to see Missouri’s two ball clubs meet in October once again this fall.

“Was I positive last year? Yes. I’m looking at .500 this year. They’ve got us projected for four or five games over .500. I’m saying .500.”
Mike Boddicker, 810 AM
GH: Boddicker isn’t quite as optimistic about the Royals as some. Maybe most. Read on.

“(Danny) Duffy can’t throw strikes! He can’t get people out! He doesn’t buy into it. He says he does but it’s lip service. You have to make adjustments and he hasn’t in the last year and a half.”
Mike Boddicker, former Orioles and Royals pitcher, on the Royals young but wild lefthander, 810 AM

“I don’t know (Kyle) Zimmer. All I can remember is that in The Star, it shows (a photo of) Zimmer throwing and I picked out three things that were wrong with his delivery in just the picture! If I see that, control is going to be an issue, health is going to be an issue. I started laughing. You can ask my wife. They said his delivery is fine? This is awful just looking at the picture!”
Mike Boddicker, on the Royals highest rated pitching prospect in their farm system, 810 AM
GH: I love how Boddicker speaks his mind during his spots on The Border Patrol. I don’t know Mike but he sounds like a genuine fan. No agenda, no grudges, he just wants what’s best for his old ball club. He might be wrong as hell and he might not be. But he sure as heck delivers his opinions with passion.

“Fox Sports Kansas City, which always does such a great job (broadcasting Royals games), I don’t know why they are trying to showcase this Howdy Doody guy in the booth! He was jumping out of airplanes and they were mimicking him in the dugout. I said, ‘What in the world are we watching?’ I couldn’t even watch the baseball game! You know who I’m talking about. … I don’t need that kind of entertainment – or lack thereof.”
Jack Harry, who identified Rex Hudler as playing the role of Howdy Doody, 810 AM
GH: I am not a fan of Hudler’s dumbed-down delivery for the Royals TV broadcasts and I applaud Mad Jack for his frank comments about Hudler’s work. I just wish Harry could take criticism as well as he delivers it.

“I’ve been broadcasting a long time. Some people sound real and some people don’t sound real. And it’s not always their fault. And I’m not trying to make a bad commentary.”
Kevin Kietzman, responding to Jack Harry calling “this Hudler Hoody Doody guy,” 810 AM
GH: So what kind of commentary is Kevin try to make? A positive one? Have some tummy, Kietz, and say what you really mean. This kind of dancing around to eventually level a harsh critique is unbecoming and phony.

“I try to tell it like it is. I don’t try and trump it up or anything. You might think I’m dumb or stupid or whacky or whatever. But it is what I am. Some people in broadcasting just sound forced. I use the term real or not real. It doesn’t sound real! It’s not the way you would talk to people. … When the light comes on, it sounds like nobody could really sound like that. Unfortunately, that is how the (Royals) broadcast sounded (Wednesday) night.”
Kevin Kietzman, 810 AM
GH: Kietzman doesn’t “try and trump it up or anything?” Real? Has Kevin ever listened to his forced radio laugh? The one most of the people at WHB mimic with sarcasm? What world does this guy live in?

“You have no idea how easy the consumer can detect something that isn’t real. It’s very easy to detect.”
Kevin Kietzman, 810 AM
GH: Mind. Blown.

“When we started here 17 years ago the only rule we had for this show is we’re going to do it real. Come say what you think but don’t try and be something you’re not. Just be who you are.”
Kevin Kietzman, 810 AM
GH: Part of me thinks KK actually believes this statement. I believe he is so submerged into the false reality that surrounds him on his radio show, on the station that he owns, and those who he employs to agree with him on the air, that he is blind to what we all see, hear and know. Ignorance can be an intoxicating state of being.

“Ryan Lefebvre is as real a sounding announcer as you’ll ever find.”
Kevin Kietzman, 810 AM
GH: Ryan Lefebvre sounds real? The Beav is just as big a shill for the Royals as Howdy Doody and his bunch! He’s far more professional than Hudler and he doesn’t make me want to slap myself like Steve Physioc’s voice – but real? Denny Matthews is REAL. Denny doesn’t give a shit if they fire him, hire him or set fire to him! Denny doesn’t pretend the Royals are good. Denny doesn’t pretend he’s happy about a Royals rally in the ninth that might delay his dinner. Denny is Denny on the air every stinking day and night! Denny gets bored, he gets lazy and he gets pissed – especially about small strike zones. That’s real radio. Not this garbage Kietzman spills out every afternoon.

“Dear NCAA – Playing these Sweet-16 games at the same time is simply idiotic.”
Rex Chapman, @rexchapman, during Thursday night’s matchups, Twitter
GH: Every year I again am stunned that the NCAA forces us to watch games at the same time. It is maddeningly stupid.

“Shockers’ success isn’t going anywhere soon.”
Headline on Bub Lutz’s column in the Wichita Eagle
GH: Click here to read Lutz as he points out a number of reasons why WSU should be an important part of the NCAA basketball scene next season and beyond. Good stuff.

“How about a little love for our UCM Mules today?  Local kids on national television Saturday at 2pm (CBS) playing for the title.  Too bad the Tigers didn’t hire Kim Anderson years ago.  Has only take 3 teams to the final 4 since being in Warrensburg!”
GMoney, OTC Comments
GH: What a great survival story Kim Anderson has been in this state. From star player at MU to coaching under Norm for 17 years to building a bit of a basketball dynasty with the Mules. The big guy deserves to win it all on Saturday.

“I’m not quite ready to put Sammy Watkins (Clemson) and Mike Evans (TAMU) up there with AJ Green and Julio Jones, but one of the best WR one-two in my years.”
Matt Miller, @nfldraftscout, Twitter
GH: If one of these two is wearing Chiefs red in September it will be a very good thing.

“55 and sunny in Detroit on Monday.”
Gary Lezak, on his forecast for the Royals season-opener with the Tigers, 810 AM
GH: I might have to wear my sanitary socks to work and roll them like I used to into the tops of my stirrups. There was nothing like yanking those stirrups up above your calf to show nothing but side pipes. Play freaking ball!

and Twitter @greghall24

38 Responses to OTC: National Media Says This Is The Royals’ Year / Kietzman Confuses Real Radio W/ His Radio

1. JimmyD says:

How were you able to live with only one first round game on cbs all those years? Jeez Greg, all you have to do is get a little creative with your dvr. I actually agree with Jack Harry on this one…Rex sucks. Always has, always will. Absolute moron

2. geoknows says:

Boddicker may be a former pitcher, but he’s way off base about Zimmer. Any biomechanics analyst will tell you that a still picture cannot be used to judge the soundness of a pitcher’s delivery.

Additionally, many pitchers with the ugliest of deliveries never get hurt, and vice versa. There is too much that we just don’t know about the causes of injury yet. The best thing you can say is that picthing is an unnatural motion even with the “best” of mechanics, and repeating unnatural motions increases anybody’s likelihood of injury.

3. Ricky Rouse says:

I agree with you about Denny. I grew up listening to him. Alot of people bad mouth him now because he doesn’t get all crazy like Bob Davis (The Screamer), Steve Physioc, or Howdy Doody Hudler. If I had to sit there all those years and watch bad baseball knowing that this was once one of the best franchies when Mr. K was alive, I would get pissed too. Denny tells me what is going on at the game, not blowing smoke up my you know what.

• JP says:

The people that whine about Denny secretly want a homer like Hawk Harrelson. You give them a pseudo-homer like Hudler and they complain. Denny tells it like it is, no B.S.. It’s one baseball game out of 162 and he lets you know the big plays. I grew up with Denny and listening to him broadcast is always a rite of spring.

4. b12 says:

Ol’ Kev…making mountains out of molehills since the mid ’90s….

I like Rex Hudler. I enjoy watching Royals games more when he’s in the booth.

6. brett says:

im optimistic.

detroit is weaker for losing fielder, fister, and about ten shortstops. and cleveland’s rotation will be without jimenez and kazmir- maybe their young pitchers will step up, maybe not.

infante and aoki are huge upgrades over last year. vargas wont put up the same numbers as santana, but he’ll have better numbers than his career averages based on the royals stellar defense.

but repeating what i said this time last year, this year hinges on the production of our corner infielders. if moose and hos have big years, the rest will fall in place.

let’s play ball

The reason Mad Jack and KK rip the Royals TV broadcasters (specifically Hudler and Physioc) is that they won’t suck up to them and kiss their behinds. Every KK opinion comes with a hidden agenda item (Ex: See KK Royals and Chiefs commentaries through the years, dependant upon radio rights). I will stick up for Hudler, he has grown on me. He does give decent analysis, but he is wired differently.

Just think, starting next week 6 months of baseball, hope it’s a good season. Greg, will you be doing the annual essay about the start of baseball next week. Also look forward to it.

• Feto says:

It’s called “Baseball Is…”. One of the greatest poems/essays you’ll ever read about the game. For baseball fans, reading it is like watching Field of Dreams for the first time. I emailed Greg to ask for a copy in April of 1997 back when he had his sportswaves.com website. He was kind enough to send me an autographed copy with an ode to my four boys as an inscription. It’s a prized possession and proudly has hung on my wall since.

8. Mike says:

Why does mlb continue to think playing baseball in Detroit on March 31 is a good thing?
    And I’m no baseball expert, but the best voices for it are those who remain steady, and rarely lose their mind unless the moment calls for it. That’s Denny. That was Fred, too. And Lefebvre has it too. It’s why I like to listen.

9. Fred Flintstone says:

“Too bad the Tigers didn’t hire Kim Anderson years ago. Has only take 3 teams to the final 4 since being in Warrensburg!”

Hey, hang a banner!
    MISSOURI has a basketball team in the Final Four!

• Alphonse Tooty says:

Mizzou is still in Fred’s head. He can’t help himself.

• Fred Flintstone says:

Hmm, I count at least four other posters (a couple form Mizzou fans) who have denigrating remarks about ‘Ol Mizzou, and yet you fail to chastise them for their posts….Could it be that Old Fred is actually in Alphonse’s head? Maybe you just can’t help yourself? Do you find yourself scanning the OTC columns for comments by Fred Flintstone? Hmmm?

• Alphonse Tooty says:

Yeah, I think you might be on to something, Fred. It’s like engaging the village idiot for self amusement. Not cool. I’ll try to be better than that.

10. Jayhawk Craig says:

Even though I am a big KU fan the Central Missouri semifinal game on CBS Sports last night was one of the best games of any post season tournament. Winning bucket with 1 second left and to see the other team miss a 3 to win it at the buzzer by an inch was fun to watch. Can’t wait to see them on national tv tomorrow to get our local university some love.

11. Larry says:

Agree with JayhawkCraig. Had no idea the quality of basketball in division 2 was so good. Hell, two of UCM’s starters could have really helped the Tigers this year. Beat a 32-1 team ranked #1. Congrats to Kim Anderson and the Mules. Can’t wait to watch the championship game tomorrow.

12. ZMan says:

Can that ahole Alden fire Haith and get a real coach like Kim Anderson to lead our Tigers! Apathy among this programs fans is an understatement! Hard to watch an MU legend/former NBA player have so much success an hour away from Columbia. Where the hell did Wisconsin get Bo Ryan! Yep, small school…

13. Barry says:

No. 20 Central Missouri Mules (29-5) vs No. 7 West Liberty Hilltoppers (31-3)
    Saturday, March 29, 2014 | 2 p.m.
    Evansville, Ind. | Ford Center (11,000)
    TV: CBS
    Radio: Central Missouri Sports Network
    Listen Live | Live Stats | UCM Game Notes | WLU Game Notes
    Twitter Updates: @UCMMULES
    Join the conversation: #teamUCM
    STORY LINES
    • The 20th-ranked Central Missouri Mules make their second appearance in the NCAA-II National Championship Game when they take on 7th-ranked West Liberty on Saturday at 2 p.m. at the Ford Center in Evansville, Ind.
    • Central Missouri’s last appearance in the NCAA-II National Championship Game was 1984, when they beat St. Augustine’s for the national title.
    • The Mules beat Southern Connecticut State 98-88 in the Elite Eight on Wednesday afternoon and No. 1 Metro State 71-69 in the Final Four on Thursday night. UCM is now 3-0 in Elite Eight games and 1-2 in Final Fours under head coach Kim Anderson.
    • The Mules won a share of their third straight MIAA Regular Season Championship this season. It was the sixth conference title under head coach Kim Anderson, the 24th in school history and the first three-peat in school history.

QUICK HITS
    • This is the 109th season of Central Missouri Mules basketball.
    • Central Missouri is third all-time in NCAA Division II men’s basketball with 1,614 wins.
    • The 29 wins this season are tied for the third most in a single-season in school history and are the third best win total for Central Missouri during the Kim Anderson era.
    • In the Mules’ 29 wins this season they are averaging 81.4 points per game and shooting 51 percent from the field. They are limiting opponents to 40 percent shooting and 65.8 points per game.
    • In the Mules’ five losses they are averaging 75.2 points per game and shooting 42 percent from the field.
    • The win over Southwest Baptist on Feb. 6 gave UCM 18 wins on the season. It marks the 11th straight season of at least 18 wins for the Mules, which ties the MIAA record for the longest streak in conference history. The Mules tied Northwest Missouri, which accomplished the feat from 1997-2008.
    • The Mules 29 wins this season mark the seventh 20-win season under Kim Anderson and the 23rd in school history.
    • Three of the top nine single-season scoring leaders in UCM history have come during the 11-year tenure of head coach Kim Anderson.

14. Rico_suave says:

I dunno about Denny Matthews .. in the media, as well as in most work situations..longevity doesn’t always equal greatness. Some times it just means they’ve managed to not get fired, and have no other interests that beckon them to retire..

always thought he was a “good” announcer .. not a cheerleader etc.. but now, esp. with his lisping.. he’s getting to be a bit of a downer.

15. Guy Who Says What Others Think says:

Kim Anderson wants no part of the MU job at this point, dunces. Maybe back when Norm first retired, but not now. He’s coaching close to his home town of Sedalia and has no intention of taking the Mizzou job even if offered. Kim is pushing 60 and is comfortable where he’s at.

16. Robert says:

Honest to God I thought the Hudler pic above was Jack Harry. Take a look at it and tell you don’t see Jack!

17. Jimmy says:

Damn Robert you are right!!

18. Tommy MO says:

Now why in the flyin F_ _ K would we want this guy instead of Quin Snyder or Frank Haith. What could have been!

Kim Anderson Hall of Famer: Was a junior forward on Norm Stewart’s first Big Eight Conference championship team in 1976, then led the league in scoring and was it’s “Player of the Year” in 1977. The Sedalia product was Academic All-Big Eight in 1975 and ’77, and won Missouri’s George Edwards Award for basketball excellence, academic ability, citizenship and character three times. He tallied 1,289 points in his career to rank among Missouri’s top-20 alltime scorers. Anderson was a first-round pick of the NBA’s Portland Trailblazers and also played professionally in Italy and France. Most successful coach in University of Central Missouri’s history

19. Quncy says:

What do Phog Allen, Joe B. Hall, Gene Bartow, Jim Wooldridge and Kim Anderson all have in common? Yes, you guessed it… they were all former Central Missouri head basketball coaches. And you mean to tell me Kim Anderson has more wins than all of them. Well, i would say whoever the dumb shit is who hires your basketball coach, might have missed on this one… Oh, yeah didn’t you pass up on Bill Self too?

20. Black and Blue says:

Quincy just ruined my day! Story of my life as a Tiger… What could have been. Can we get off the topic of our lost basketball program?

• Guy Who Says What Others Think says:

Oh could you please over dramatize some more? You act like Mizzou basketball is Baylor right after Dave Bliss. Are they setting the world on fire? No. But my God, they aren’t at a bottom of the barrel like say, KU football is. Do they need to get better? Yes. But let’s not jump off the cliff just yet.