“I respect a lot what (Jackie Robinson) did, uh, for his kind. But also how Branch Rickey picked the right guy.”
Rex Hudler, Royals TV color analyst, in a conversation with Ryan Lefebvre prior to Wednesday night’s Royals game on Fox Sports KC
GH: Hudler’s use of the phrase “his kind” was the topic of the day on Kevin Kietzman’s Wednesday afternoon sports talk show. If Hudler’s comment made news elsewhere, I missed it. He was back on the Royals broadcast Thursday night and he did not appear to have been reprimanded for his comment. There is no question this phrasing is no longer accepted in American culture, especially by a broadcaster to a TV audience. Kietzman went the extra mile or two to point that out and take some shots at the Royals while he was at it. Read on.

“I’m going to give the guy a break but…”
Kevin Kietzman, on Rex Hudler using the phrase “his kind” to identify Jackie Robinson’s race, 810 AM
GH: As soon as I heard KK utter this phrase I knew he had no intention of giving Hudler a break. He did not…

“That sounded awful last night! That just sounded terrible!”
Kevin Kietzman, on Hudler, 810 AM
GH: I like when a broadcaster gives his true unfiltered opinion on a subject – which I believe Kietzman did here on Hudler’s comment. But why does KK have to try and pretend he’s not taking a shot at the guy he is very obviously tossing under the bus and driving over and over for three or four hours?

“I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt but for that moment we got another example of why the Royals shouldn’t really be all that interested in doubling down on this broadcaster – because he is one sentence away from taking all the attention in this entire city away from the team onto him and creating an absolute firestorm. It 100% could happen at any moment.”
Kevin Kietzman, on Hudler, 810 AM
GH: Again with the misleading “benefit of the doubt” disclaimer. Is the good name of the Royals franchise really tied to what Rex Hudler says or does? The “entire city?” Kietz, we know it’s only sports talk radio but please, show some restraint.

“You couldn’t really fault somebody if they thought there was something more wrong than that he is just a brain-dead announcer in that situation.”
Danny Clinkscale, 810 AM
GH: I don’t think Hudler is brain dead but his dome light appears to be wired to his asshole.

“(Steve Physioc and Rex Hudler) were not working and somebody (with the Royals) who knew them decided, ‘Well, they’re my buddies. I’ll hire them.’”
Danny Clinkscale, 810 AM

“Kevin Uhlich (Royals’ VP of operations) is his old buddy from California and he doesn’t want to go into Dan Glass’ office and tell him he screwed up.”
Kevin Kietzman, 810 AM
GH: This may very well be true but this is exactly the kind of hearsay and unsubstantiated reporting that 810 proudly states they do not practice. Does Clinkscale really know that is all that went into the hiring of these two former Angels broadcasters? Although it does sound like how they hire their managers.

“We’re giving him a pass. We just think he’s a bumbling announcer.”
Kevin Kietzman, while talking to Jack Harry about Hudler, 810 AM
GH: This was at least the third time Kietzman wanted it known that he was giving Hudler a pass, a break or the benefit of the doubt. Got it.

“Let me preface my comments because you know I went down the road with some comments that were very unfavorable to a lot of people. They thought I had said something I really didn’t say. I’m sensitive to sit here and pick on somebody else.”
Jack Harry, discussing Hudler’s comment with Kietzman, and referring to the controversy last month about whether or not he said “Gayhawks” when referring to the Kansas basketball team, 810 AM

“That’s a totally different deal! There’s no question what he said. People were trying to slow it down trying to listen to (what you said). ‘Oh, did Jack say it or didn’t he?’ That was just dumb.”
Kevin Kietzman, defending Harry’s alleged “Gayhawks” comment, 810 AM
GH: Kietzman is quick to defend Jack, who appears regularly on 810. KK is also quick to hammer away at Hudler, who is a regular guest on 610. The biggest difference between what Hudler said and what Harry allegedly said is that Hudler did not appear to make his comments with any malicious intent. Harry’s alleged comment was made with him rising from his seat with a smile on his lips.

“I’ll tell you right from my own gut what I think. It’s a terrible choice of words in the context it was used. I think that’s bad. I don’t think the guy’s a racist or anything like that but to use that word in that context, what he was speaking of.”
Jack Harry, 810 AM
GH: Okay, so Mad Jack isn’t quite as sensitive to criticizing Hudler as he led us to believe. Read on.

“I’m telling you when I hear that word in that context – you don’t say that! That’s not a mistake. The man has to stop and think before he talks then. Before this comes out. They let it fly. He lets it fly. He makes me nervous to watch. I’ll be very honest with you. When I watch this guy I get nervous. When he’s on camera I never know what’s coming. That kind of screws me up. I don’t know what to expect from him.”
Jack Harry, 810 AM
GH: I listened to Harry say this about Hudler and I could not help but think this is exactly what many say about Harry’s Jack Smack segments for KSHB TV 41.

“Nolan (Ryan) just said in our round circle, ‘(Yordano Ventura) is the real deal.’ He was very complimentary. I showed him the fact that he threw 27 change-ups at 22 years old and he said, ‘You’ve got a young kid who is throwing that many change-ups, he’s got confidence. That’s going to make his fastball even better!’ So it’s great to hear from a legend like Nolan Ryan what we have in Ventura.”
Rex Hudler, after speaking to the HOF pitcher Wednesday night, Royals Radio
GH: If Nolan thinks Ace is the real deal, the Royals just might have their next ROTY and Cy Young candidate. Heady, heady stuff.

“I don’t think the (Royals) players are as fragile as some people in the organization may think they are. I think they’re able to handle some things in the right manner where they understand we’ve got a better chance to win if I get pinch-hit for in this situation because obviously I’m not doing the job. I think the organization babies guys too much. You should be able to handle it and understand that if you’re not doing the job, they’re not going to keep running you out there. I wouldn’t take it as a slap in the face if you’re hitting .100 and you get pinch hit.”
Brian McRae, 810 AM
GH: McRae is a great radio interview. He speaks his mind and he doesn’t appear to be concerned about who his words upset. Radio needs more guys like that.

“I think organizations baby guys because they don’t want to admit they made mistakes.”
Brian McRae, 810 AM

“Multiple sources have told @CBSSports that Missouri’s Frank Haith is now involved in Tulsa’s coaching search.”
@CBSSports, Twitter
GH: From Miami to Mizzou to Tulsa??? WTF?

“Prince is one of the top three American musical talents of all time. The top two American musical talents of all time are Stevie Wonder and Prince.”
Nate Bukaty, 810 AM
GH: Steven St. John immediate cast his vote for Elvis and did not bother to offer a second-place trophy. Elvis, to SSJ, is all you need to know when it comes to American-made music. I think Wonder is an American treasure. I like Prince but I don’t see him as someone who moved the needle enough to be in America’s top 20 musical legends. My top five would include Bob Dylan, Louie Armstrong, James Brown, Springsteen and Tom Petty. But I could be swayed. Who you got?

and Twitter @greghall24

52 Responses to OTC: Rex Hudler’s “His Kind” Comments Inflames KK and Mad Jack / Nolan Ryan Likes Ace Ventura

Good Lord, am I the only one that thinks Hudler just used a poor choice of words but knew what he was trying to say? People who get SO bent out of shape and offended by everything these days. Ironically, had he used the word Negro, or Colored or Black… KK would have REALLY freaked out. But, had Hudler used those terms been used 20, 30 or 40 years ago nobody would have batted an eye as the “correct” term has changed many times. So, he wouldn’t have been a racist then, but he might be now? Give me a freaking break.

• Mike says:

I don’t think Hudler is particularly verbose, and it doesn’t really bother me. He’s so glued into the in-game machinations of baseball, I think that he becomes especially inarticulate if he talks about anything outside of it. And that would include things that have historical/social impact. I don’t think very many expect Hudler to be Murrow, but I highly doubt many took Hudler’s lack of eloquence as anything but just that.

2. The Independent Rage says:

I’m going to give the benefit of the doubt to people of your kind, Greg, but asshole should all be one word.

3. Johnny Utah says:

Hudler can be annoying, but this is so much about nothing I feel dumb even commenting on it. But not as dumb as Fescoe.

4. Renton says:

It’s cruel to tease me with Frank Haith rumors until he’s actually gone. I’ll help him pack.

Another case of a guy getting ridiculed simply because he doesn’t go on KK’s station. Classic KK, who by the way, put his buddy Les Norman as a potential Royals analyst. Seriously, when they are ripping Hudler more than Billy Butler (who appears on 810), then you understand why they approach Hudler the way they do. For Mad Jack, who (allegedly) misspoke to be critical is borderline comical.

My top 5 American Music Legends
    1. Buddy Holly-You must start with Buddy Holly. He is the gold standard, who was taken much too young. He influenced the Beatles, the British Invasion and countless other singer songwriters, his music still holds up.
    2. Elvis-He is the King of Rock and Roll
    3. Michael Jackson-Forget the court cases, the guy was multi-talented and his work ethic was second to none on his music and the production.
    4. Tom Petty-Love his music, still high quality even today.
    5. Johnny Cash-On the country side, he is the gold standard.

6. Tom W says:

Frank Sinatra. Case closed.

• mike t. says:

yep. totally missed him on my list below. but I’d add him to the Honorable Mentions. there were crooners before, contemporary with, and after too. but he was the best no doubt.

Sinatra deserves to be on my list as well.

7. rkcal says:

Chuck Berry- without him there is no rock
    Elvis – brought African American music to rock
    Dylan- brought folk music to rock
    James Brown – brought funk to rock
    Marvin Gaye/Stevie Wonder – tie- put it all together

8. mike t. says:

1. Elvis, Little Richard, Chuck Berry, Ike Turner and Buddy Holly (all in one, sorry yes. they collectively invented rock and roll and you really can’t separate’em)
    2. Bob Dylan (changed the face of folk and rock both.)
    3. Springsteen (made rock relevant again, superstar)
    4. Michael Jackson. (same reasons as JP stated)
    5. Miles Davis (took jazz to a whole ‘nuther level)

Honorable mentions:
    Charlie “Byrd” Parker
    Count Basie
    James Brown
    Garth Brooks
    Ella Fitzgerald

• Mike says:

Your list probably reflects my sentiments the closest. If there were a 6 there, I’d have to put Garth, along with Cash. Johnny really brought outlaw to country, and if not for Garth, country would have never exploded like it did into the mainstream.

9. Babe Ruthless says:

The fact that Hudler said ‘his kind’ proves that he’s a clown, not a racist. By not knowing how to speak about Jackie Robinson Rex demonstrated that he is not good enough to be on TV every night as a paid broadcaster. Some ex-jocks turn out to be good TV or radio analysts. Rex Hudler is not one of those ex-jocks. I’m no former major leaguer, my baseball career ended when I was 13. I have been watching, following, reading and learning about the game since I was two. There are people who know alot more about baseball than I ever will. But Rex Hudler talking to me on TV insults me. He is awful. He adds nothing to the broadcast and it takes away from my enjoyment of watching the Royals.

10. Rico_suave says:

Hud needs to pull a Jack Harry, and insist that what he actually said was:

“he’s so kind”

11. ssiknaf says:

Buddy Holly
    Elvis
    Do Diddley
    Bob Dylan
    The Byrds

where it all began.

• ssiknaf says:

Bo Diddley

• Doug Tucker says:

I saw him twice, in Tulsa and Vegas, and sincerely believe Elvis Presley must have been the greatest live performer of all time. The way his electric magnetism super-charged the atmosphere was unforgettable. Did they ever have to say Prince has left the building in order to calm the crowd? Far beneath the King I would put Sinatra, Ray Charles, Dylan and Buddy Holley, whose premature death robbed us of a great, great talent.

12. ssiknaf says:

but it doesn’t get any better than R.E.M., Big Star and The Replacements..

13. Kyle says:

Whether you like Prince’s music or not, there is no denying that he is the most creative, prolific, and multi talented artist of his generation. It says a lot when he is mostly known for vast array of pop hits and then someone like Eric Clapton says he is without peer as a guitarist. The guy can absolutely shred.

14. who-fan says:

Elvis
    Chuck Berry
    Bob Dylan
    Paul Simon
    Johnny Cash
    George Jones
    Billy Joel
    Springsteen
    Sinatra
    Zappa
    Buddy Holly (would’ve been, life cut too short)
    Hank Sr. (life also cut too short)
    Hendrix
    Tom Petty

15. eddie says:

Since the qualifier is “all time” and not just “my generation” here’s a few: Robert Johnson, BB King, Louis Armstrong, Billie Holliday, Elvis, Little Richard, Miles Davis, Bing Crosby, Jimi Hendrix, Neil Young, Dylan, James Brown, Stevie Wonder, Frank, Tony Bennett, Flatt and Scruggs, Glenn Miller, Aretha, Beach Boys, Grateful Dead. If I took more time to compile I’d probaby delete/add a few others but this covers what’s at the roots of most American Music.

16. yuri says:

Lot of great names on hear, I’ll echo the Buddy Holly, Tom Petty. Don’t forget Ray Charles as wll. Another name missing is Brian Wilson. Dude went toe to toe with the Lennon and McCartney before he had his breakdown. Find a copy of Pet Sounds and prepare to forget everything you thought you knew about the Beach Boys. The guy was a songwriting and studio genius.

17. NM says:

1. Eddie Van Halen
    2. Frank Zappa
    3. Weird Al Yankovic
    4. Bruce Springsteen
    5. Yeah, probably Prince.

…my personal faves. Can’t ignore Bruce. People who associate Prince with the 80’s or think of him as that “Purple Rain Guy” are missing out on his brilliance.

18. Jess says:

Fuck KK but…..

“GH: I don’t think Hudler is brain dead but his dome light appears to be wired to his ass hole.”

Is awesome

19. Joe Blow says:

For me personally, I’d say:

Chuck Berry
    The Ramones
    Iggy and the Stooges
    Sam Cooke
    Nuggets-type groups (The Sonics, The Remains, etc…there was a whole subgenre of great garage music from the 60s that barely saw the light of day on the radio).

I think it’s funny how everyone’s lists are basically pretending the Beatles didn’t exist..

20. Poodymilk says: