“Before these moves (to acquire Omar Infante and Norichika Aoki) I thought they were a .500 team. Now I think they’re close to where they were last year.”
Rany Jazayerli, who thinks the Royals are one more big move away from seriously contending for the AL Central next season, 810 AM
GH: I do not like to clog up my December with a lot of MLB hot stove talk but the Royals moves this winter deserve some mention. Will these two additions make a difference in right and at second? It would be difficult to not upgrade those two positions from where the Royals were in 2013. But I still would prefer two of the team’s best hitters in the one and two slots. Let’s hope Omar and Aoki fit that description in April.

“I kind of fancy myself as the bad guy who has to bring these things up – and I don’t mind doing it. … Do you think if (the Royals) won 86 games again this year do you think they’d be happy? I do. I think they’d be really, really happy to win 86 games again. I wonder if they were being honest right now if they wouldn’t take 86 wins and see where that gets them.”
Kevin Kietzman, 810 AM
GH: The Royals franchise has managed two winning seasons in the past 20 years. KK might fancy himself as “the bad guy,” but I don’t think this is the criteria for his crown.

“We are not too far away from the Royals needing more money from their ball park. I’ll still be on the radio when talk (resurfaces) about building a downtown ball park.”
Kevin Kietzman, 810 AM
GH: Kietzman also went on to say he was “claiming victory” about predicting a downtown ball park will be built in Kansas City because once the Cerner group buys the team it will happen. I would gladly trade a KK victory dance for a downtown ball park but I think professional franchises are moving away from relying on stadium revenue. Pay per view is what will drive revenue for MLB, the NFL and NBA as the next decade dawns.

“I got a bunch of momma’s boys right now.”
Barry Hinson, head basketball coach at Southern Illinois, in an entertaining postgame presser following the Salukis 73-65 loss at Murray State Tuesday night, Sportingnews.com
GH: Hinson is well known in Kansas City. He was a part of Kansas’ staff under Bill Self from 2008 to 2012 as the director of external relations and the director of operations. Hinson was the head coach at Missouri State for nine years previous to his stint at KU. Hinson’s team is only 2-8 this season but what his team lacks in talent, Hinson makes up in explaining just how bad they happen to be. Read on.

“(Guard) Marcus (Fillyaw) was absolutely awful, that’s about as PG-rated as I can say it. He was awful. Our guards are awful. Our three starting guards had one assist and seven turnovers. They must think it’s a tax credit. It’s unbelievable how our starting guards played.”
Barry Hinson, Sportingnews.com
GH: President Obama needs to get this guy on his speech writing team.

“I’ve been telling my wife this for years, size doesn’t matter.”
Barry Hinson, referring to his team’s rebounding issues, Sportingnews.com

“There was a sniper in the gym. Didn’t you see that? We had guys falling down! I would have thought Navy SEAL Team 6 was out there!”
Barry Hinson, on two of his players falling down at mid-court, Sportingnews.com

“My wife — my wife! — can score more than two buckets on 11 shots, because I know my wife will at least shot fake one time.”
Barry Hinson, on his bigs shooting performance against Murray State, Sportingnews.com

“I have never been around a more positive, energetic, unselfish person (than Hinson). He is loyal, ethical and can coach and recruit. He also is a GREAT…not good public speaker — probably got that from his father, a Baptist minister. I love the guy.”
Bill Self, on Hinson, siusalukis.com
GH: Can we get the Royals to hire Hinson to replace Ready For Bed Ned at the Royals postgame pressers?

“I don’t blame Kansas at all for declining to play Wichita State.”
Mike DeCourcy, college basketball writer, 810 AM
GH: I spent 20 minutes debating this topic with a KU friend today. I convinced him of nothing. I just don’t understand why any college basketball fans wouldn’t want to see this game. I understand Bill Self’s stance but I don’t know why any fan would share Self’s opinion on this. All we get to do as fans is watch the games. Why wouldn’t we want to see the best match-ups?

“It was the biggest mistake I ever made in football.”
Marty Schottenheimer, discussing his decision to leave the Kansas City Chiefs after ten seasons in January of 1999, NFL Network
GH: Schottenheimer stated he was “burned out” and he found himself “uncomfortable with himself.” I attended Marty’s final press conference at Arrowhead that day and “uncomfortable” is a very appropriate word to describe the mood in the room. Marty’s wife sat beside him at the front of the room and the Chiefs’ head coach looked like a schoolboy who had been forced to apologize for his acts. There were lots of rumors about an affair and him living at Lamar’s suite at Arrowhead and Greg Hill’s gal…and none of it ever was really fleshed out by The Star, WHB or any of the local media. These NFL Network documentaries receive a lot of praise but I see them as so much fluff. The Derrick Thomas story barely addressed the many flaws in his life. Marty’s story was equally as soft. These documentaries are more advertisement than journalism.

“No one can prepare anyone for fame…”
Maurice Clarett, @ReeseClarett13, in a raw and chilling 30-for-30 documentary on the former Ohio State running back and his coach Jim Tressel, Twitter
GH: A 30-for-30 doc on ESPN is the opposite of the advertisement that passes for research on the NFL Network’s An NFL Life. This latest one on Clarett is mind blowing. Clarett’s life got so crazy at times I had to remind myself this was a real story. DVR it and watch it soon. Just incredible stuff.

and Twitter @greghall24

60 Responses to OTC: Royals Add Omar and Aoki But Is It Enough? / SIU’s Barry Hinson’s Pissed Presser

1. Renton says:

GOD.

I hope Keitzman is wrong (as usual) about still being on the radio when the Royals talk about building a downtown ballpark.

a) Because he’s insufferable about it

and

b) I wish he’d be off the radio tomorrow.

Greg, I’m a KU fan and a WSU match-up holds NO intrigue for me. For some reason it does for you. That’s fine. It’s your opinion. Let me ask you this……If WSU was absolutely HORRIBLE and it was going to be a 50-point blow-out, would it hold the same intrigue for you? Let me answer that. No, it wouldn’t. Nobody would give a shit and Greg Marshall wouldn’t be saying a word! KU has played the TOUGHEST non-con schedule in the country. It’s not like KU fans have not gotten to see the marquee match-ups that they so love and expect from the Kansas program.

Jim, I understand that KU fans have no interest in watching 50-point blowouts over a bad WSU team. What I don’t get is that KU fans adamantly state they don’t want to see KU and WSU play even this year when the game would pit two ranked teams.

• Jim says:

Ahhhh, and there’s the difference. You say the KU fans don’t WANT to play them and I say they don’t CARE if they play them. To me, it’s not fear of the match-up. It’s apathy. Just agree to disagree, I guess.

• Mark says:

Don’t CARE to play the #11 ranked team in the country that happens to be playing in your backyard and coming off of a Final Four season? So, is it a prestige thing? Do you only care to play fellow elite programs from a historical standpoint? The fact is that KU could stand to have a regional rival that moves the needle. Michigan St./Michigan/Ohio St. – Kentucky/Louisville/Indiana – Duke/North Carolina – Syracuse/Pitt – Kansas/??

• Jim says:

You actually think that KU needs to play someone/anybody to move the needle? Hmmmmm, what do all the rivalries you listed have in common? Think hard, Mark.

• Mark says:

No, I’m not saying that KU needs help to move the needle regionally. They don’t. What I’m saying is that they do not have a regional rival that moves the needle. It’s obvious that Marshall is building something that, while not to the level of the programs I mentioned previously, could serve as a legit rivalry to KU, if only for a few years.

It comes down to this being a 100% Bill Self decision based upon what’s best for his local image. Nobody with a brain could claim that losing to WSU this year will drastically impact KU’s standing on Selection Sunday. Refusing to even consider playing them comes across as cowardice in the public eye, and yawning while refusing to consider it claiming some sort of false apathy comes across as cowardice AND elitism.

I’ll credit Bill for scheduling major programs, but when it comes to non-con games close to home… he’s plainly avoiding his best two options for a non-con regional rival.

• Mark says:

This comes down to a fan/coach loyalty thing that is an epidemic at Kansas (among other programs across the country). When a coach wins a title, they become the unquestioned dictator of the direction of all things related to that program. I’m sure this is the same at Duke (Coach K), Alabama (Saban), etc.

The bottom line is that if Self said he wanted to play WSU or MU or whomever, the fanbase would fall in line behind him. KU fans are basically just parrots to what their coach says. This has nothing to do with KU not playing a tough schedule, they undoubtedly have. This has to do with Bill Self wanting to preserve a bulletproof image locally. There’s no shame to losing to Izzo, Calipari, Krzyzewski. There’s no shame to losing to Marshall either, but it doesn’t seem that Self feels that way.

Greg, your line of thinking is SPOT ON with this stuff. Why should a fan care about what scheduling Wichita St. or Mizzou does for Bill Self’s pride? It would be a BLAST to have KU and Wichita St. play eachother (or KU/MU, or MU/KSU, whatever). Aside from having a good time watching teams that we care about playing eachother, what’s the point of being a fan?

• BlackJack says:

Why save all of the vitriol for Bill Self, unless you are just a hater? Where is all the public and media outcry for KSU playing WSU, or where is the criticism Mizzou refusing to play SLU or Missouri State??

• Mark says:

If you want to expand the conversation beyond WSU and KU, fine! I think Mizzou should play SLU and Missouri St. regularly and KSU should play WSU as well. Mizzou has played SLU recently and they were always fun games.

Here’s my issue: there are plenty of legit reasons to not play someone. Schedule is full, travel difficulties, etc. But for a fanbase to pretty unanimously say that they just “don’t want” or “don’t care” to play a team that was just in a Final Four, that is an established yet still emerging program, that’s currently highly ranked and is in your backyard makes NO sense. I’ll back off Self because the reasons as to why he feels he doesn’t want or need to play WSU (or Mizzou, for that matter) seem to be personal and numerous, but I don’t know what they are. But what seems plainly obvious is that the fan base is just adopting the company line that Bill Self puts out there.

I won’t get you or any other Jayhawk fan to admit it, but if Coach Self came out tomorrow and said that he wants to schedule games against WSU and/or Mizzou in 2015, every single fan would be completely on board with the situation.

• Biff says:

When they moved the KU/MU football game to KC there were plenty of KU fans that did not like it and would not go to it. I thought it was a good idea until I went to the first two boarder wars in KC. then I saw it sucked to put up with the smack talk. cussing, fights etc, I would never go to another KU/MU game in KC.
              If MU , WSU want to beg and crawl on their knees to Lawrence Ks. no big deal.

• kylerohde says:

You’re nuts Biff. The KU vs. MU games at Arrowhead were incredible, especially 2007 and 2009. I’d go back in a second.

Keep in mind that Detroit will probably not be as good next year, and Cleveland could take a step back. With that in mind, the Royals could be legitimate contenders to win the AL Central in ’14. These are good moves, and Rany predicting 86 wins is probably the equivalent of a 90-92 win season.

I love how KK never lets things go. The Downtown Ballpark always sticks in his craw, and hopefully he will have retired to Arizona by the time it becomes reality. It probably will happen in the next 15 years, and by then he, Cotty, Clinkscale and his little buddy Leabo will all be long gone from the radio.

The Marty Football Life was very interesting. These things are usually fluff and you know that going in. It appears he really never wanted to leave the Chiefs and was forced out by a higher power (His wife, not Carl). I can tell Marty doesn’t care much for his time in Cleveland and seemed real focused on his time in KC and San Diego. The moral is don’t make threats on a family pet.

4. kylerohde says:

I love bashing KK as much as the next guy, but when it comes to the downtown ballpark, he’s dead on. I’ll leave it at that since it’s a conversation we won’t be having seriously before 2030 at the earliest, but imagine how insane KK would be at that point, in his late 60′s I’m guessing?

• Hot Carl says:

“imagine how insane KK would be at that point, in his late 60′s I’m guessing?”

He’d basically be Jack Harry.

• Fred Flintstone says:

Kyle, I disagree heartily, Downtown is hard to get into, hard to get out of, too many one way streets, and too much crime. Why would I want to drive downtown, and be miserable before AND after the Royals win or lose? I can be in and out of the K in 15 minutes from my JoCo home, 25 mins when there’s a crowd of 20,000+ or more. If Opening Day were downtown, I’d GIVE my tickets away, for the same reason I don’t play golf….I don’t have 4-5 hours to give up every time I want to see the Royals play, and a downtown stadium would add at least 45 mins to an hour for my commute time. No thanks.

We have one of the most beautiful ball parks (complex) in the US, why screw it up? Are you one of those that wants to build a new airport as well? (No harm intended, the question was rhetorical)

Like President Obama said before he was elected, “We live in the best country in the world, elect me and help me to change it.” Now his job approval rating are in the 30%’s.

Besides, do you know how much property KK and his cronies scooped up in anticipation of the Royals moving downtown last time? Every rotten dollar of his that waits in agony, makes me smile all the more.

• BlackJack says:

Fred, there are thousands of people who work downtown that would be very much prone to walking a few blocks and seeing a game downtown after work. As well as there are many people who are not content to sit in the JoCo home in suburbia and watch the game on TV, who would definitely be up for going down early and making a long evening of it in the P&L or Westport before/after the game

• kylerohde says:

Well, because of the huge overall benefit it would provide to Kansas City, Missouri. That’s my reasoning. Whether the people of JoCo believe it or not, KCMO downtown being great has a huge benefit for them and for this region as a whole. KCMO is the reason JoCo exists and has grown to the behemoth it is today…but I digress.

We do have a beautiful stadium…and it’s in the middle of a crap part of town that people merely drive to and from. They don’t spend money in the surrounding area because there’s almost nowhere to go. I’m fine with Arrowhead staying out there but the K belongs downtown.

A downtown stadium has been huge in revitalizing parts of downtowns in Denver, San Francisco, Pittsburgh, Detroit, Minneapolis and probably more I haven’t thought of. It means 20,000+ people spending money at bars/restaurants like the ones in P&L that don’t make enough $ to meet their debt obligations every year. It means we actually have a real need for mass transit to happen, and the streetcar or some other system would have a legitimate use and reason to expand. It means our beautiful downtown getting seen on television constantly, versus I-70 now.

Go to a game at Busch Stadium and tell me why that’s not better than if St. Louis had their stadium in Chesterfield or some other suburb.

As for your airport question, no, I don’t want a new airport built until somebody makes a business case for it that isn’t based on pipe dreams like suddenly becoming a hub again or getting more flights.

• Fred Flintstone says:

With all due respect Kyle, “Downtown” Kansas City will likely be near The Legends with Sporting Park, Kansas Speedway, and whatever else the Cerner boys decide to put up out there, for my Great Grandchildren and yours. KCMO will likely dry up and blow away sometime shortly after that. Why prolong the pain?

• kylerohde says:

Well, I hope you’re wrong, and the trends would agree, though KCMO’s population is going to continue growing faster north of the river than south.

• Tigerpiper says:

+1 If we have to subsidize billionaires, should we not get some economic benefit from it (and I don’t count the Taco Bell across from the K).

• Mike says:

Fred nails it. Kyle, you reference cities of similar size with downtown stadiums, though you err with Denver. Get on Google Maps and see…both Coors Field and Mile High (and The Can) are in close proximity to big parking lots in their downtown corridor…Pittsburgh’s aren’t technically downtown, and the others you mention were built on/near existing stadium sites, which have had longtime mass transit options.
        KC has none of that. And unless you’re Clay Chastain’s cousin, KC won’t have any major people movers for a downtown stadium anytime soon. Streetcars? No, for a 40K seat stadium, streetcars are not a solution. A downtown stadium would need a lot of parking, b/c we’re not turning into Boston or The Five Boroughs overnight. We don’t have more than $1B laying around to develop light rail from downtown to A) JoCo, B) Northland, C) E Jackson County, D) WyCo in order to make it work. There’s only a streetcar system running on Main between downtown and The Plaza, and THAT IS NOT ENOUGH to relieve the potential for unprecedented gridlock that would arise by putting a large stadium in/around/just south of the downtown loop.
        KK really needs to just shut the fuck up about this downtown stadium business.
        And hypothetically, if a proposal for one ever comes, more than 50% will have to be privately financed, because local governments don’t have that kind of cash laying around, and it will have to be more than just a Jackson County-supported endeavor. To the former, I direct you to Field of Schemes to see how little economic benefit municipalities realize from these ‘stadium agreements’, and to the latter, show me where the five-county metro has ever come together in support for a stadium referendum. (I’ll give you a hint: never)
        People just needs to give the whole downtown stadium thing a rest. The K just finished season four (five?) post-renovation. What? A whole four years?! Oh, shit! WE NEED A NEW STADIUM AGAIN, LIKE NOW!! WE SHOULD KEEP TALKING ABOUT IT!!
        Jesus Christ. Trust me, no matter the owner, I think the biggest revenue issue facing the Royals is counting the years until their shitty deal with FOX KC is done, so Time Warner SportsChannel can get the rights for multiples more than Fox is paying now. Stadium? A total non-issue, except for a lazy host who has too much time to fill.

• kylerohde says:

Excellent points, all. As for wasting time talking about it, I wasn’t going to until Fred asked me to, as you’re right, this isn’t a relevant topic for the city until at least 2035 probably.

• KCMikeyV says:

Kyle, have you ever been to a professional game at a downtown stadium? It is a royal (pun intended) pain in the ass. Every time I have attended such an event, I always look at the person next to me and let them know how good we have it in KC. Tons of parking, tailgating, etc…

I for one would miss seeing Arrowhead while attending a game at the K, and vice versa. Sure, a downtown stadium is cool and trendy, but it would solve nothing.

5. Now if KK would only allow us to say goodnight to the bad guy.

The Schottenheimer story was decent I thought. I’d never known that Marty told the San Diego DB, BEFORE the game, to drop to the ground before making a game-winning interception. Marty deserves lots of blame for his post-season failures, but the guy could NOT catch a break. Interesting to be reminded that it was Belichek/Brady who benefited from the San Diego fumble. It was Belichek/Brady who beat Oakland years in the controversial “tuck” ending. Some coaches and players are blessed with good fortune.

As a KU guy, I truly don’t care that KU doesn’t play WSU or Missouri. KU gets some really good match ups as is. This year is proof that Kansas needs a few “easy” games to work out early season kinks, so I understand why Self wouldn’t want to add another good team to the already-loaded schedule.

Would be cool if someday there was an 8-team Border Showdown Tournament at Sprint in the non-con. Maybe each state would have 4 schools, and it would be bracketed like a conference tournament, with Kansas teams on one side, and Missouri on the other. KU, KSU and WSU from Kansas and MU, St. Louis, Missouri St. from Missouri. Smaller schools would rotate the 4th slot.

Likely never happen, but would give a possibility of seeing the local schools duke it out.

• That Tournament’s a great idea. I would add UMKC to the permanent bill, and rotate the 8th spot. I recall MU playing Southwest Missouri State University in the 80s (has that school since been renamed?), and those were highly competitive games, with both fanbases hating each other. If SMSU was ever worth a crap in basketball anymore, the current debate might involve a component of why MU never schedules them, instead of only why KU won’t schedule Wich-U.

• DJ says:

What about St. Louis University?

They have been about the same as Wichita State the past few years except for Wichita States run last year to the Final Four.

Never have heard any outrage that Missouri should play SLU every year.

• Schedule ‘em, I say! Schedule everybody.

• Alphonse Tooty says:

There’s LOTS of talk in St. Louis about why Mizzou won’t play SLU. The debate is identical to what’s taking place here concerning KU and Wich St.

• Mark says:

Quin Snyder scheduled SLU occasionally and they were GREAT games, but that dried up when Anderson took over. I’m not sure why, I’d love to see those games pick back up. Mizzou basketball’s always had a prickly relationship with the city of St. Louis from a recruiting standpoint as well. Not sure what the issue is.

• DJ says:

Sorry, meant no talk about SLU/Missouri locally like the outrage that KU doesn’t play Wichita State.

• Mark says:

Mizzou and SLU aren’t anywhere close to the level as KU and WSU, respectively, which is why it doesn’t get brought up often. I agree, though, these games should be played within both states!

• kylerohde says:

This idea is great. Love it.

KK / BadAss = Richard Simmons / Seal Team 6.

8. Jason J says:

Great stuff Greg but can anyone shed more light on Marty and his so called girl friend who was a waitress at Johnny’s? And what is this about Greg Hills gal? What was the real scoop??

• Hot Carl says:

Tanner’s, not Johnny’s. And it was the same broad Greg Hill was banging.

• Tigerpiper says:

Oh oh! I have a story. I bought a used car from Bob Smith in 1998(?) and he had a Mercedes SUV on the lot. “Small title problem” he said. “It used to be owned by Bam Morris.” I can’t remember if it was Bam or not, but it was one of the drug dealing thugs Schottenheimer brought in in the last years. I bought a Toyota.

9. Ray Ray says:

mike says:
    November 12, 2012 at 6:37 pm
    Even if he does not hire either one, he must be thinking of making some big change or he wouldn’t be seeking Marty’s council. Up until now, he has been hands off with Pioli for the most part. I think something could even happen if they get beat badly tonight.
    admin says:
    November 13, 2012 at 12:35 am
    Good point
    Rick Nichols says:
    November 12, 2012 at 9:16 pm
    Hey, maybe Gen. Petraeus knows a thing or two about coaching a football team. At the very least he seems to have that “scoring” thing down pat. Mr. Hunt ought to give the guy a decent chance to turn the Chiefs around … just kidding, of course.
    Rick Nichols says:
    November 12, 2012 at 11:13 pm
    So what you’re saying, then, is that instead of calling the song “The Schottenheimer Polka,” it perhaps should’ve been titled “The Schottenheimer Poke-her”. At any rate, I can’t blame Marty for wanting to avoid “the scene of the crime,” especially if he watched a good portion of tonight’s game.
    zak says:
    November 13, 2012 at 11:40 am
    What happened to the Tanner’s girl? Did she get fired to? Is she hot?
    Gen. Petraeus says:
    November 13, 2012 at 1:43 pm
    Are you joking zak. She was as hot as a biographical writer in leggings.
    What do you ranking people think? Whether you’re a coach in the nfl or
    a 4 star general in the war zone we still love to get hot pu$$. We love
    getting in their “foxhole” and “getting in their frontlines”!
    At ease private. We love the hotties!
    mike says:
    November 13, 2012 at 6:14 pm
    General, I guess it is better than chewing out your privates!
    William Robert says:
    November 14, 2012 at 12:01 pm
    The girl was whisked away to Arizona … Mike Healy who was the majority owner of Tanners at the time took care of it (with assistance from his attorney). Funny thing, Mike eventually (at the recommendation of that same attorney) found that he needed to spend time in Arizona also because he was bumping into a few too many issues in Overland Park.

Alleged affair? Nah, that shit was absolutely for real.
    mike says:
    November 14, 2012 at 3:37 pm
    That girl was also a girlfriend of one of the players from what I had heard.
    Dumb ? says:
    November 16, 2012 at 9:02 am
    Understand why the Chiefs and Marty’s family would want to keep things under wraps but why would a bar owner give two spits in the dust worth of care? Figured a little scandal might even bring some rubber-neckers into a joint to see the apple of Marty’s thigh, er,…eye.

10. john says:

ku fan’s relish the victory of considering themselves too amazing to play anyone. if you don’t play, you can’t lose and you can freely act like a dick and then proceed to root for alabama (or whoever you want since nebraska isn’t a dominant program anymore) in football

11. john says:

why play wichita state when you can play new mexico in the sprint center? these are HUGE games ku would be missing out on. is it even a ku basketball season if they don’t play towson? sorry shockers, ku has way more important games

#1 schedule in the country bro. Keep making yourself look smart. Nice 6 point win over mighty Western Michigan at the Paige the other day.

• Gavin says:

You mean “Plaige.”

• Mark says:

You’re missing the point, “bro.” The program and it’s fans have made it clear that they’re not interested in playing Wichita St., despite the concessions that WSU has made in their 3-game offer. If you won’t schedule WSU because you don’t care to play them, then it must mean that you DO care to play Colorado, and Nebraska, and Towson, and New Mexico, and Iona, and UTEP.

Nobody’s questioning KU’s schedule, it’s impressive. People question the reasons why KU would refuse to play a 3-game schedule against a mid-major team that’s ranked and coming off a Final Four in which none of the games would be played on their home court. Any answer other than “we might not beat them and it would make us look bad,” is a lie.

• KCMikeyV says:

Because they don’t want to, “Bro”. Who gives a fuck? Let it go, and watch them in secret because you enjoy good basketball.

• john says:

nice losses, “even with the best player since lebron.” ku does things the right way though, not like kentucky…

12. FJH says:

Marty and Greg Hill’s girlfriend…KK and the intern…this is all just urban legend until someone brings some actual PROOF of it happening. An eyewitness, police report – something besides some guy saying “I heard”, blah blah blah.

“There were lots of rumors about an affair and him living at Lamar’s suite at Arrowhead and Greg Hill’s gal…and none of it ever was really fleshed out by The Star, WHB or any of the local media.”

That was when you worked for The Star, right Greg?

As for the rehash of the Wichita State non-game, as I said yesterday, for KU, playing WSU presents unique disadvantages and no unique advantages. It’s just the opposite for WSU. KU has lots to lose and nothing to gain. WSU has NOTHING to lose by playing this game. I’m not parroting Bill Self here, I’m just trusting him to do what he thinks is best for KU. If he decides that playing WSU or Mizzou is the right thing to do, I’ll go along with that as well. Gregg Marshall is only looking out for Wichita State; he doesn’t care a bit for KU. And that’s as it should be. But when push comes to shove, I’ll let the guys who are paid to care about KU be the ones that make the decisions *FOR* KU.

14. Mikey says:

#1 schedule in the country bro! That’s not the point MORON. You play crap teams like Colorado and Towsen yet Self is too big of a puss to schedule a Final Four team in their own state. Fans want to see WSU and MU play KU but the pussy coach doesn’t want to take the chance of losing. Lot easier to lose to Towsen than the Shockers who would KICK YOUR ASS!!!

Bring it BEEOTCH!!!

• BlackJack says:

#1 schedule in the country bro! Yes, that IS the point MORON. KU doesn’t need to do anything else to enhance it’s schedule. Nobody want to see WSU or MU play KU aside from a few fans of those schools such as yourself you want to ride KU’s coattails and get a little limelight at KU’s expense, or haters who vicariously hope for KU to get upset.

Face it – KU doesn’t NEED to play anyone – you NEED KU to have a purpose in life. It’s a KU basketball world, you are just along for the ride … beyyyotch!!

15. Java Man says:

In Kevin’s world, he is the only person that ever thought a downtown park was a great idea. Of course in his world, they already named the “K” after him.

• Mysterious.j says:

Kevin doesn’t care about a downtown ballpark or baseball in general…he just wants the buzz the issue (and “the walkout”) got for him in the past.

16. mike t. says:

can someone explain to me just where the term “hot stove” came from in relation to off-season MLB? while i understand what it IS, i don’t understand how or why? thanks!

17. JC says:

SLU has an offer to play in Columbia – the Bills want the equivalent of a 2 for 1 – one game at each school and the third at ScottTrade Center in St. Louis. Neither side will budge, so I doubt that game happens any time soon.

18. Ron says: