“After the Detroit game on May 3rd, according to 810, (Eric) Hosmer and (Jarrod) Dyson showed up at the 810 Zone at Harrah’s in North Kansas City. The players wanted admittance to a sold-out pay-per-view showing of the Mayweather/Maidana fight. They were denied entry because neither had a ticket. … At the ball park (Tuesday) afternoon, several Royals decided to boycott Sports Radio 810 WHB. Lorenzo Cain and Jarrod Dyson refused to talk to the station.”
Jack Harry, KSHB TV 41
GH: We only have 810’s version of this story to go on because the Royals’ players apparently aren’t talking. So I am going to base my opinions on what we know. And what we know if that this Royals team is quickly becoming incredibly easy to dislike.

“You’ve got a bunch of childish baseball players who couldn’t get into a Mayweather fight – and that was ALMOST THREE WEEKS AGO! Now they’re boycotting a radio station. It is silly. It is territorial. It is difficult. It is intimidating. It is all those things. This is just spoiled bratness!”
Kevin Kietzman, 810 AM
GH: I don’t know if I can agree that the Royals’ boycott of 810 is territorial or intimidating – neither make a lot of sense to me in regard to this story. But Kietzman is dead on about this act being silly and spoiled bratness – despite that not being a real word. It fits these entitled Royals players so perfectly Webster should allow it.

“These guys are acting like they’re Joe DiMaggio. I don’t think they realize they are alienating the fans. They want to pull these shenanigans?”
Caller to Petro’s show, 810 AM

“Danny Valencia asked Danny Clinkscale not to air that (interview with him and Clinkscale prior to Tuesday’s game). We are going to exercise our right to play it. He was not supposed to talk to 810 either.”
Nate Bukaty, after airing the Valencia interview before Tuesday’s game, 810 AM
GH: What are these Royal Brats trying to accomplish with this boycott? If they are trying to hurt or diminish 810’s prowess in the Kansas City media market, they are accomplishing the exact opposite. This is the kind of story sports radio stations LOVE – unless you are 610 Sports and not the sport radio station being boycotted. This is the worst kind of controversial story for 610. Not only does it put 810 in the news but they are reluctant to even discuss the boycott because it involves their competition. This Royals’ boycott appears to be about as well thought out as Dyson getting picked off second in the bottom of the ninth.

“You might think an All-Star kind of player might have that attitude but not a guy who is the 24th player on the roster and a pinch base runner.”
Nate Bukaty, on Dyson’s decision to boycott 810 for being stiffed at the 810 Zone, 810 AM
GH: How dumb are these ball players? Do they think Kietzman, Clinkscale or Bukaty have anything to do with who gets into one of the 810 Zone restaurants? Does Billy Butler boycott Quik Trip because they’re making fun of his base running?

“This is quite funny in my opinion. … I’ve known about this for three weeks. Personally, I don’t care if all 25 guys in the clubhouse don’t want to talk. I don’t care if I ever talk to a baseball player again.”
Soren Petro, 810 AM
GH: There are a couple of Royals players I enjoy hearing from – Danny Duffy and Jeremy Guthrie are two of them. I also like Gio because he still understands how lucky all these numbskulls are to be playing ball for a living. The Border Patrol’s interview with White Sox pitcher (and formerly Liberty HS’s) Scott Carroll today was also a refreshing reminder that not all MLB players are clueless as to their insignificance in the world.

“Careful, people who give money to the Royals, they may boycott you if you’re too honest about the team. (they will still take your money).”
TJ Carpenter, @TJCarpenterWHB, Twitter

“I wonder if this (boycott) means they are just mentally soft. Or that they are afraid they can’t get out of the offensive funk that they’ve been in. Therefore, they’re going to control what they can control.”
Soren Petro, 810 AM

“(Hosmer and Dyson) talked their teammates into boycotting the 810 media today. Their manager was unaware of this.”
Kevin Kietzman, 810 AM
GH: Their manager apparently is unaware of a lot of things. Read on.

“I don’t have a plan. It’s day to day. These are all big boys. … Read into that what you will.” Ned Yost, when asked prior to Tuesday’s game about his decision to play Danny Valencia at third and sit Moustakas, 810 AM
GH: Ned just provided every sports talk radio show in Kansas City one of their favorite drops for the rest of his tenure here in KC and well beyond. We will be hearing Ned say, “I don’t have a plan…” even longer than we hear Dan Glass tell us Buddy Bell is, “obsessed with losin’” BYW, where are the “big boys” in Ned’s clubhouse? Are they the same brats who are still smarting over not getting into a sold-out bar?

“You know who had a plan? Apparently some royals after a game to watch a Mayweather fight.”
Cole Young, @ColeYoung, Twitter

“The Royals are a predetermined outcome. They ABSOLUTELY refuse to adapt or change, in the face of overwhelming empirical evidence. Royals summary for today: manager has no plan, GM won’t hold players accountable and team can’t beat anyone in the division…” TJ Carpenter, @TJCarpenterWHB, Twitter

“We had a lot of fun together. We basically laughed our butts off. We laughed all the time. We had a lot of fun. A lot of laughs. I hope Kansas City does well.”
Leo Mazzone, former Braves’ pitching coach, in an interview with Henry Lake and Jay Binkley, on playing and coaching alongside Ned Yost in the Atlanta organization, 610 AM GH: Listening to Mazzone talk about him and Ned cutting up and laughing their asses off made me wonder where that Ned disappeared to. The guy wearing Royals gear now is about as unhappy and surly as managers come. People who attack their jobs as if they were painful are almost always correct.

“It’s the league catching up to (Yordano Ventura) and can he adjust. If yesterday was his worst day, the Royals are still in really good shape with him.”
Soren Petro, after Ventura’s Tuesday night outing against the White Sox, 810 AM
GH: The Royals rookie pitcher looked ordinary Tuesday. That’s baseball. I still love the ease in which he is able to hit high nineties and how his curve and change can buckle knees.

“We only had three pitchers who had to have Tommy-John surgery in the 18 years I was with the Braves. … These guys all like to throw. Let them throw more, not less.”
Leo Mazzone, 610 AM
GH: Mazzone does not like how modern-day pitchers are babied. Mazzone is more than a bit of an eccentric but there is no doubting his resume. I kind of agree that more throwing is a better way to build up a pitcher than less. When you train for a marathon, you don’t do it by resting.

“So … the Royals going to do something or just hang around .500-ish and not get anything for James Shields?”
Andrew DeWitt, @AndrewRDeWitt, Twitter
GH: Yost’s job depends on the Royals winning 80 games this season. And Dayton Moore’s job is tied to Yost. I don’t expect the Royals to deal Big Game James unless they fire Yost in July.

“Moose with Little K power.”
Carrington Harrison, @cdotharrison, after Moustakas popped out to third as a pinch hitter Tuesday, Twitter
GH: What is Yost doing pinch-hitting the team’s worst hitter in a crucial late-innings situation? There is no place to hide Moose in Kansas City. He must go. Now.

“Is it too much to ask for just a little happiness for Royals fans?”
Jeff Rosen, @jeff_rosen88, Twitter GH: Just think of all the joy the Royals have spread to other fan bases.

“There should be like a 90 second time limit on these replays. If it’s not obvious enough to overturn, uphold the call and move on.”
Nate Bukaty, @nate_bukaty, Twitter

“Unfortunately for my wife, you’re more like my wife (than one of my brothers). You could be the sister we never had.”
Mike Golic, after Mike Greenberg asked his cohost if he was more like one of his brothers or his wife, ESPN Radio

and Twitter @greghall24

59 Responses to OTC: Royals Boycott Sports Radio 810 While Still Getting Their Spoiled Butts Kicked By The AL Central

1. Mike says:

All the Royals have to do now is sign Scott Pioli on as a consultant and the level of apathy and frustration will be perfect. Ned and Dayton are getting there.
    Take control of your insane asylum, Dayton. The inmates are running the show into the ground.

• Willie Coyote says:

These Royals are becoming easy to dislike. The sad thing is that I was exicted for this team and this year but now their spoiled brat childish attitudes and behavior have “royaly turned me off”. I’m out. Who cares. No tickets purchased. No more interest until certain guys are canned. Who needs fans anyways? Oh wait……..

2. The Independent Rage says:

“GH: I love that MLB finally adopted replay – no matter how long it takes. Who cares if it adds five or ten minutes to a three-hour game? Get the call right.”

With sentiments like that, I’m predicting that the next Royals boycott will be of the OTC column, and this time Denny Matthews will be the instigator.

• Johnny Utah says:

GH, you are dead wrong. Sports are supposed to be entertaining. Stop taking things so seriously. Waiting for replays is boring. I tune out when they do this.

3. Kyle says:

Greg, you’re easy to dislike comment rings very true. I could care less if they talk to anyone at 810, and frankly, 810 deserves to be bitch slapped a little bit. But it’s the cocky, childish attutude about the whole thing that I can’t stand. Dyson gets picked off 2nd in a 1 run game in the 9th, and the next day he is makig sure people don’t talk to 810. What a dipshit. He is one play from being sent to the minors and this is the crap he is worrying about. We have some pretty idiotic players on this team and yes, it is getting very easy to dislike them.

4. Mark says:

“Never pick a fight with people who buy ink by the barrel.” – Mark Twain

Boy is this Royals team easy to hate. It, in year eight of Dayton’s “process,” is being outplayed by division rivals in rebuild mode. I’m just hoping for a full on meltdown at this point. That will be more entertaining than watching this team hover around .500 all season. #fireeveryone

5. Nick Sloan says:

The contrast between Sporting Kansas City and the Kansas City Royals is becoming clearer and clearer by the week. Sporting KC’s ownership is local, invested in the team emotionally and financially and for the most part, their players are nothing but class acts. They also hold themselves accountable when things are going southward. They also win a lot of games (and a title!) despite being a small market team.

The Royals are the opposite of everything mentioned above.

• Johnny Utah says:

Spot on. A culture of accountability vs. a culture of entitlement.

• BiBi Jones says:

Who really cares about Soccer? Soccer is minor league. I’m fairly certain the Springfield Cardinals go out of their way to be accommodating to the media as well.

• Tiberius Gracchus says:

Baseball is equally, if not more boring than soccer. And baseball in KC is definitely minor league. I hope the Royals boycott all the media. And as a matter of fact, the Springfield Cardinals boycotted the town crier just last year because he refused them entry to his cock-fight for free.

• Willie Coyote says:

Seriously? Many people care about soccer. Ever visit a Sporting KC game or your local athletic fields on a Saturday morning?

• Jim says:

Nick, while I can appreciate the overall point you are trying to make it’s such a false comparison. Totally apples and oranges. The history and the culture of the 2 sports are at the opposite ends of the spectrum. The financial investment you speak of regarding ownership couldn’t be more different. The Royals have numerous players that make more money than double the entire roster of SKC. Additionally, 99% of the people in the greater Kansas City area wouldn’t know a single SKC player if they passed them on the street. Pro baseball players have been idolized and glorified in the US for well over a century. All of these factors add up to a MUCH different sense of entitlement on the baseball players part. I’m not advocating this is a good thing. I’m just saying the profiles of baseball players and soccer players (and ownership) are light years apart. At this point in “soccer history time”, that sport must do EVERYTHING they can to endear themselves to the fans and the public. It’s their life blood at this point. Baseball players can be complete asses and they will STILL be cheered for and admired. Hell of a gig, if you can get it.

• Kyle R says:

Good points, Jim, and I don’t disagree with any.

Also, BiBi Jones, nice username. For anybody else, don’t Google that name if you’re at work!

• BlackJack says:

Correction: you should have said, “99% of the clueless people who comment on this blog wouldn’t know a single SKC player if they passed them on the street.”

And I love how people who say “who cares about soccer”, yet they comment on each and every discussion about how soccer blows. It is kind of like how MU fans say they don’t care about KU any more, so much so that they can’t stop repeating it to anyone who will listen.

I think golf and NASCAR suck and are non-sports, but I don’t waste my time commenting about it on blogs and articles.

• Ali Faroukhmanesh says:

No, Mizzou fans have never said they don’t care about kU. Mizzou fans on this side of the state still hate kansas as much as they always have. At least I do.

• Jim says:

Step back from the ledge,B-Jack. Not being able to recognize a SKC player on the street doesn’t make one “clueless”. It’s a reality. Additionally, I never said “soccer blows” or “I don’t care about soccer”. I was simply pointing out the fact that the public profiles of baseball players are on a completely different plane than those of soccer players. Will that ever change? Who knows? Maybe. But at this moment in time, it’s not even close. If you don’t care what other people say and think about soccer, why feel so inclined to defend the sport?

soccer sucks

it is also like how KU fans say they don’t care about MU any more, so much so that they can’t stop making fun of losses, arrests or hiring a D2 coach

6. KCPRGuy1 says:

This organization is a complete and utter trainwreck. Fortunately for them, we can’t turn our heads away.

7. Tim says:

So what if Alex Smith and Chase Daniel showed up that night? Would the “official broadcast partner of the Chiefs” had let those guys in?

8. Old Man Kissel says:

This is why 810 is No. 1 in sports talk in the region.

810 scoops 610 once again…

• david says:

Not sure if this counts as a scoop. Aside from 810, no one cares.

• Juan Pablo says:

A donkey could scoop 610, Being better than a turd like 610 is not a great accomplishment.

• Stop Bullying Kevin says:

How is 810 No 1 in sports talk in the region? I don’t see any third party source that backs up that statement. If anything, ratings for 810 have been slipping for years based on the comments from this site. If not for Greg, 810 might not get any attention in the market place.

What exactly is 810 scooping from 610? Your tag line should be “Kevin’s station is bullied again. Please stop picking on me!”

• Old Man Kissel says:

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!

KK is the King of sports talk in the region….deal with it. Or not….the haters comments are sometimes funny.

810 scoops 610 once again…

9. tiad says:

” GM won’t hold players accountable”

Well, apparently they hold Johnny Giovatella accountable. He seems to get bounced down to Omaha everytime one or more of the other players does their next stupid thing.

10. jjskck says:

We have waited on this team for decades. We got an 86-win season. Our patience was rewarded with an invitation to be gouged by the organization for playoff tickets, and a 25% across-the-board ticket increase for 2014.

The unfounded arrogance in this organization is astounding, from the young players who still haven’t arrived, to the manager who has won nothing, to the GM who has accomplished nothing at the major league level.

I’m just tired of it all. I’m tired of being spoken to as if I’m an idiot. I’m tired of the unending rah-rah platitudes from announcers who can’t speak freely. And I’m tired of being taken for granted by an organization that has already lost most of a generation’s worth of fan base and shows no signs of wanting to turn that around.

jjskck you nailed it. It starts at the top and trickles down. I was stunned when I saw how much they were gouging the fans for playoff tickets. The organization is a joke all around. Sporting KC does things the right way, and really the Chiefs do as well. The Royals sense of arrogance and entitlement is getting hard to stomach. The have never won ANYTHING EVER and they still act like this. At least the Chiefs make the playoffs every few years.

• david says:

Apples and Oranges. The Chiefs have a much, much easier path to the playoffs. Only three other teams in their division and two Wild Cards. The NFL also encourages team parity with a salary cap.

Also SKC? Zusi is their highest paid player and would be the lowest paid player on the Royals by almost a quarter million.

• Kyle R says:

The Chiefs have been every bit as incompetent as the Royals; they just have an easier path to the playoffs, just David said. The Chiefs have also manged to have some stars (Priest, LJ, others) that help mitigate the fact that the team hasn’t won a playoff game in over two decades or been to the Super Bowl since SB4. And the Chiefs have been just as arrogant when it comes to gouging fans and telling us about the right way of doing things.

I don’t think either is any better than the other.

• jjskck says:

The Chiefs don’t even reside in the same solar system of incompetence as the Royals, who have a legitimate claim as worst major sports franchise of the last quarter century.

And I can tell you one huge difference between the two: Chiefs ownership took action and fired the arrogant, entitled, and ultimately unproductive Pioli regime after only 4 years.

• david says:

They are currently 1.5 games out of the wild card. Apparently that means fire everyone.

• Kyle Rohde says:

And the Chiefs’ no playoff victories since 1993 makes them a modicum of success?

• Hoppy says:

How many times out of the last 20 yrs would the royals have made the playoffs had there been six in each league..once, maybe twice.Comparing the two is a fools errand and the statement is even a further Indictment on the royals b/c the chiefs are indeed mediocre.

11. KV says:

This all describes what I’ve long suspected about this team. After years of being coddled by management and many in the media, these mediocre clowns have bought into their own hype and simply don’t believe they need to apply the work ethic required to win ball games. And after getting smoked 9-2 by the best team in the league, these cocky sumbitches go out to party. Not surprising they lost 9-4 the next day. And after coming from ahead to lose Monday, what’s on their minds? Organizing a boycott of a local radio station. I thought Belly Butler’s on field temper tantrum with Rusty Koontz along with Moore’s (and Moose’s) whine and sleaze fest with the media indicated a real softness with this entire organization. This garbage at Harrah’s in North KC (!) and subsequent boycott underscores this softness. Combine that with a sense of complete and total arrogance and entitlement, you have one toxic shit stew brewing out at the K.

12. Java Man says:

Please be gentle with me, but I’ve been wondering what the lose of Jeff Francoeur and Miguel Tejada have done to the team chemistry.

13. JFP says:

Would be nice to see Royals players put as much determination and drive into winning games as they do boycotting a radio station.

14. Guy Who Says What Others Think says:

Dayton is so mad at Moustakas, he sent Giovatella back down to AAA.

15. Steve says:

This childish attitude makes me wonder what guys like Shields and Gordon think of their younger teammates. You would never hear either of those guys (or others like Butler, Vargas, Guthrie, etc.) try and pull this kind of shit. At the same time, I would expect one of those guys to speak up and tell them to cut the crap and play baseball. Lord knows Ned won’t do it. It makes me feel like Shields is just counting down the days to free agency so he can go play for a professional organization.

• Phaedrus says:

Amen. Where are the leaders on the team? I thought Shields was brought in to show these guys how to win.

Hosmer and Moustakas can’t be traded quickly enough for me.

Fire Yost and bring in a Buck Showalter type of manager.

16. Bryon F says:

If the 810 thing is true….quite an entitled, crybaby type mentality that ‘Dicey’ and ‘Hosey’ are displaying. Its even more disturbing that they talked other players into joining it. Maybe Dicey and Hosey are the ‘leaders’ in this clubhouse.

17. GMan says:

Okay, I am going to just say what I feel! F_ _k the Royals. I tried to embrace them my son’s 17 years on this earth. I kept taking my son to games hoping he would have as much fun as I did during my childhood and you know what? All we did was lose. Every year I go back for more and the one constant is losing! I have given them all the money I am going too.. Not only am I done with them, I am rooting against them so the all get their ass canned! If I have to look at that fat ass Moustakas be coddled one more game… Well never mind cause I am done!!

18. Joe says:

This sounds more like a bunch of spoiled kids at the radio station not getting what they wanted, and then having the ability to go on air and whine about it. You are not entitled to insult someone to their face, and expect them to be happy and polite. Petro does it all the time, and if he gets any flack back, he cuts the caller off. You can’t be a jerk to someone, and then expect them to be nice to you.

19. keitzman wants an intern says:

The Royals and Chiefs have been boycotting success for 3 decades.I wonder if this boycott is for another reason, like Danny Clinksdale’s (AKA..Squidward from Spongebob) followup questions to Moustakas when he would not answer questions about himself.

• Willie Coyote says:

Yeah and that line of questioning was spot on. Why should these guys get a pass when answering simple questions is PART OF THEIR FREAKING JOBS!!! What, are they not getting paid enough?

20. gassedup says:

Royals need to resign Miguel Olivo and put some ” bite” back in the lineup.

610 Scoops 810 Again.