“Now we’ve got a Series.”
Al Wallace, sports anchor, following the Royals 7-2 win over the Giants in Game 2, WDAF Fox 4
GH: GAME ON is what the headline in my very soggy Kansas City Star shouted at me as I carefully removed its sogginess from its micro-thin plastic wrapper. So now the Series moves to San Francisco and becomes a best of five affair. I just hope it doesn’t rain on my newspaper carrier.

“There aren’t that many times when a city is completely invested in a professional sports team. When it happens, players and fans alike remember it forever, how they counted down the hours to game time, how for a brief time the games themselves seemed to be the most important thing on Earth. That’s what’s happening around Kansas City these days. In the coffee shops and bars and restaurants, they’re talking Royals. They’re nervous and they’re excited, and they’re having the time of their lives.”
Richard Justice, writer, MLB.com
GH: If you live with 100 miles of Kansas City, you have some idea how this city flipped on its Royalsness since that Wild Card win over Jon Lester and the A’s. Everybody is wearing Royals gear. Everybody is talking baseball. Everybody is losing sleep, going into debt and happy as heck about it because following a winning baseball team through the postseason might be the single best feeling for a sports fan. The NCAA tourney comes close, but this run the Royals are on right now beats anything I can remember. And I am old.

“I wish we didn’t have to go (away from Kauffman Stadium). It’s so electric. It’s been amazing.”
Lorenzo Cain, on the atmosphere at The K, ESPN
GH: I would like all two million area residents to have the experience of going to The K for one of these postseason games. All who have been there the past three weeks know of what I speak.

“Yesterday was one of the best days of my life – and not just because a baseball team won a game. It was just the electricity in the city. I got to sit on set with Linda Cohn and do SportsCenter. Then I got to go to a World Series game and have an experience with my wife and my son that I will never forget. We’re going to talk about this night for the rest of our lives. I wanted it to last as long as possible.”
Nate Bukaty, 810 AM

“Everybody is very passionate about the Royals. You play here and you get a special feeling. I don’t know if you drink the water or what, but I was very fortunate to play here for eight years.”
Bret Saberhagen, columbianmissourian.com
GH: Most MLB cities love their teams and feel just as passionate about the Royals as Kansas City folks. But perennial losers like the Royals and their fans have a bit more pent up craziness that fills a city once success dawns. We are experiencing that here in Kansas City and it is as glorious as we thought it might be.

“We showed them that we have fight in us. And I think they knew that already. But we stepped up big there as a team, and that gave us some confidence in that clubhouse. You never know how guys are going to respond to that, losing in the World Series.”
Billy Butler, on the Royals tying the Series at one win apiece, MLB.com
GH: One of the goofier discussions lines after Game 1 was how would the Royals respond to a loss? Huh? What MLB franchise is better equipped to respond from a loss than the Royals? We made losing a 29-year habit!

“The big stage is the big stage. The spotlight ain’t for everyone. #Royals #WorldSeriesGame1”:
Rob Lowe, @RobLowe, after the Giants thumped the Royals in Game 1, Twitter
GH: If Lowe is a Giants fan I have no problem with him rooting for his club. But don’t play on the stereotype that KC is a little flyover town that can’t handle the bright lights. We look pretty cool in shades too, Rob. I am eagerly awaiting the Dumb Rob Lowe TV commercial where Dumb Rob falls into the pool while watching people swim and stays there until the Super Bowl.

“The key to the game was forged the day before; Yost avoided using any of his key relievers in a Game 1 that got out of hand early.”
Marc Normandin, MLB writer, sbnation.com

“For at least one night, the critics had little choice but to marinate in the following sentence: Ned Yost out-managed Bruce Bochy. OK, maybe that’s an oversimplification. In Game 2 of the World Series on Wednesday, the long-derided Yost had the more effective bullpen with which to maneuver than the Cooperstown-bound Bochy. But the facts remain: When the sixth inning began, Yost’s Royals and Bochy’s Giants were tied. By the time it ended, Kansas City scored five runs and had a 7-2 lead it never relinquished. Yost shepherded the game directly from rookie starter Yordano Ventura to middle relief ace Kelvin Herrera, while Bochy deployed five different pitchers in an effort to record three outs.”
Jon Paul Morosi, FoxSports.com
GH: Yost is receiving kudos from many of the same fronts who panned his decision making in the regular season and the Wild Card fiasco. And he deserved the criticism then and the praise now. Read on.

“One minute we’re talking about Bochy as a lock for the Hall of Fame, and now all of a sudden he’s a dunce? Sorry, count me out. It’s true for Bochy, it’s true for Yost, it’s true for all of them: Managerial decisions only look bad when they don’t work out.”
Ken Rosenthal, FoxSports.com
GH: I disagree. Bad decisions are just bad decisions. Some manage not to hurt a team but while winning makes you quickly overlook a bad managerial move, it doesn’t erase it.

“I’m not okay with it. I was shocked. I was like, ‘What’s he doing?’ Billy’s swinging the bat better than anybody on the team right now. It was a one-run game and if the Giants come back… I thought it was way premature.”
Kevin Seitzer, Royals former hitting coach under Ned Yost, when asked about Yost having Terrence Gore pinch run for Butler in the sixth inning with second base occupied and the Royals leading 3-2, 810 AM
GH: Removing Butler in the sixth with a slim one-run lead for minimal benefit of Gore’s speed was a bad move that the Royals offense rendered moot. Billy Butler carried this team during Hosmer’s absence in July and August and he looks like he is ready to do it again in October.

“The thing that impressed me most that after giving up that homer after one batter – I don’t think his heartbeat ever raced.”
Curt Schilling, former World Series MVP, on Yordano Ventura’s night as a rookie starter in Game 2 of the World Series, ESPN

“I like the fact that Salvy was trying (to get Ventura) to establish the fastball – even though (Gregor) Blanco the blind squirrel there found an acorn.”
Mike Macfarlane, on the Giants lead-off hitter and former Royal opening the game with a home run,  810 AM

“I don’t know what happened to that guy.”
Salvador Perez, when asked about his on-field conversation with Strickland, ESPN
GH: Thank you Mr. Strickland for adding some venom to this Series. If you were nodding off when this went down, you were wide awake when Moose dropped his lumber and started out toward the mound to defend his catcher.

“He looked at me. I was like ‘Why did you look at me? Omar hit a homer. Look at Omar.’” Salvador Perez, via a tweet from @McCulloughStar, Twitter

“God love him, but I have no idea what Salvy is saying…”
@aceapplebees, Twitter GH: It is fun to watch the national media interview Salvy and then have no idea what he said or how to follow up to whatever he said. Where is Joel Goldberg when the World Series needs him?

“My emotions got the best of me. … I don’t know if (Perez) thought I was yelling at him or not. I was just frustrated with myself.”
Hunter Strickland, Giants pitcher, on his verbal confrontation with the Royals catcher, kansascity.com
GH: Strickland does not appear to be real good at handling failure. Let’s see if we can continue his struggles with that character flaw.

“You want to get rid of this? Don’t give up home runs.”
John Kruk, ESPN analyst, on his advice to Strickland, ESPN

“(Lorenzo Cain) is going 20 miles an hour! Think about that! That’s too fast for a school zone!”
Harold Reynolds, as Fox showed a graphic that depicted Cain’s speed as he scored from second in the pivotal sixth inning on a sharp single to left, Fox
GH: I was screaming for Cain to hold up at third on the single to left but he never slowed – and then scored without drawing a play. Lorenzo Cain is way, way, better than any of us knew.

“Mike Krukow, the longtime major-league pitcher and esteemed Giants broadcaster, told his radio audience during Game 2 that he’d never seen a 100-mph two-seamer until (Kelvin) Herrera threw his Wednesday night.”
Jon Paul Morosi, FoxSports.com
GH: That three-headed monster that Ned Yost has in the Royals bullpen has a chance to make history. I mean some HOF history. There has been so much talk that Davis or Holland need to be traded at the end of the season but my question is why? Pay them both and continue to strike fear into every team in Major League Baseball. This threesome almost makes the Royals Ned-proof.

“The KCRoyals are flying to SF tonight, yet the SFGiants staying in KC and flying home Thursday. (Giants’ third-base coach Tim) Flannery: Sleep doctor told us it’s better.”
Scott Miller, @ScottMillerBbl, Twitter
GH: I have never understood teams’ eagerness to fly at night when there is no game the next day. I like the Giants decision to stay and fly the next day. Do the Royals really need a Thursday workout after 173 games?

“Thanks to TicketsforLess.com for the seats! Even after I threw them in the recycle once today. Thanks to Dan and everyone at Tix4Less!”
Soren Petro, @theprogramkc, Twitter
GH: Confession time: I printed out my Game 1 ticket at work on Friday and forgot to take it off the printer. A coworker walked into my office Monday morning and said, “I thought you might want this.”

“Whoever at 41 printed up those WE BELIEVE signs that have been in every single broadcast……brilliant.”
Aaron Barnhart, @tvbarntv, Twitter
GH: The local media have stepped up their game for this once-in-29-years-happening. The paper crowns that TV 9 were handing out at Game 1 were everywhere on Tuesday. I was disappointed in 810’s postgame show Tuesday night in that TJ Carpenter, their Chiefs beat reporter, was hosting the late-night show. Really? The Royals finally get to the World Series and 810 chose to plug their ninth-string guy into the postgame show?

“This is one of those times I need to call my dad. He took me to my first Royals game in ’69. I was 6 yrs old.”
David Cone, @dcone36, Kansas City native, following the Royals ALCS-clinching win over the Orioles, Twitter
GH: If you still have a dad to call, this is definitely one of those times.

and @greghall24

49 Responses to OTC: Royals Win Game 2 of WS W/ A Giant Beating / And KC & Its Fans Are Bonkers!

1. Richard Cranium says:

Clearly you were not a KU Basketball fan April 7th 2008. That, my friend, was absolutely fantastic. This may rival it.

• dohn joe says:

The KU title didnt bring the whole city together. It actually divided it more because as KU basketball arrogance increases, so does the hatred from the other people.

• Juan Pablo says:

KU is an elite school that wins all the time. You can’t be arrogant if you win all the time.
        KU fans go through this kind of excitement a lot so its nice for MU and KSU fans that never win anything have something to get excited about.

• sporty says:

Ku wins all the time???? What was the score of your game last Saturday? Or the week before that? Or, the week before that? Lol, I thought so.

• dohn joe says:

So Kietzman cant be arrogant because he has won the ratings every month since 2001?

My ass.

KU Basketball fans are arrogant. KU football fans are invisible

2. ksudenny says:

A KU National Championship has nowhere near the same impact on this city then a possible World Championship from our Professional Baseball team has. The Royals have fans from all schools and is more about the community as a whole. The trivial little basketball tournament the Jayhawks won only satisfies KU alums and T-Shirt Fanbase.

• Richard Cranium says:

Name says it all. Little Brother Syndrome.

• Fred Flintstone says:

KU fan here, and I agree with a lot of your post.

But….the NCAA tourney is NOT a trivial little basketball tournament. It captivates the entire country for two full months, with it’s season ending play. Just because your school (KSU) doesn’t frequent the tournament as often as you’d like, is no reason to trivialize the NCAA tourney. Your jealousy and envy are sticking way out when you make comments like this.

How many of those “trivial” brackets have YOU filled out over the years?

BTW, do you notice (like I do) that soooo many Royals fans, when they go to Royals games, wear their KU gear? You know, since they’re both blue and all? It’s especially thick in the lower bowl. As I’ve stated before, a LARGE portion of the Royals season ticket base, are also KU fans.

Fred, the NCAA tourney is incredible, but it only captivates for 3 weeks, not 2 months.

• Fred Flintstone says:

Point taken Kyle, but I was more referring to the buildup to the tourney and the tourney itself. For most of February and March, a lot of the country is focused on positioning, conference races, conference tournaments, bubble teams and the like.

• John says:

If you wear KU gear to a Royals game its kind of a shitty move. If you are STILL wearing KU to a Royals game, you are undeniably an asshole

• sporty says:

You ku fans are hilarious. I may see a handful of jayhawk shirts on the lower level. I have season tickets and have been to many games. I also see K-State and MU shirts as well. I don’t understand why. If you go to a Royals game, you should wear Royals gear.

• John says:

Oh man, the “season ticket holders” and the “lower level” fans. Classic! KU fans are such a privileged bunch and so wealthy. Everyone knows that! Must be because it’s such a hard school to get into.

denny, you are correct in stating that the impact is not even close. KU winning another NC is celebrated only by KU fans and loathed by ksu and mu fans as it should be. The Royals, or the Chiefs if they would ever get there, bring the entire city together. That’s the one thing that pro sports have over college sports. Now stating that the NCAA tourney is trivial is just ridiculous. i’m sure you were not thinking that when ksu went to the Elite 8 a few years ago, or the couple of times when they upset KU. Or are you only a ksu football “fan”?

• Juan Pablo says:

ksudenny says:”The trivial little basketball tournament the Jayhawks won.” WTF???

The Trivial NCAA basketball championship game had more viewers than the Royals world Series game.. MLB is a dying sport its numbers keep going down. Even the NBA Finals has more viewers than the World series. MLB is now a regional sport that most fans have to have some reason/interest to watch. which is fine.

3. ksudenny says:

Much like your name says it all typical Dick Head KU fan who is all consumed by a weak mans sport

• Juan Pablo says:

Most of The best athletes play football, basketball. and even soccer before they play baseball.

• KV says:

Yeah, Lorenzo Cain is really not much of an athlete. Go back to counting down the days until the first KU preseason game Juan Pablo.

• Juan Pablo says:

KV you making a big fool of yourself. Cain like most kids today did not want to play baseball, only after he could not make the basketball team he went to baseball.

“”Cain did not start playing baseball until his sophomore year in Florida’s Madison County High School. He only did so, he said, when he was not chosen for the school basketball team. At the time, Cain didn’t even have a baseball glove.[1]“”

4. Phaedrus says:

When it comes to managers, why is it so hard to divorce the decision from the result?

Even if Ventura would have struck out the side in the wild-card game, Yost’s decision to use him in that situation was dumb (it was an unfamiliar situation for Ventura, Yost had 3 lockdown relievers, etc, etc).

Likewise, Bochy’s decisions last night may have been perfectly fine (I can’t say because I don’t follow the Giants) even though they didn’t work out.

Just because a dumb decision works out doesn’t make it a good decision. Just because a good decision fails, doesn’t mean it was dumb.

5. Smith says:

The sooner you get where you’re going the better. And when you get on a plane right after a win like that…let the good times roll. You think the Giants wanted to spend another night in KC, coming off a momentum-changing loss with unwelcome drama? And then wake up here this morning? Talk about a bad taste you can’t get out of your mouth.

True…and Travis Ishikawa is a career first baseman that Bruce Bochy dropped in left field for the playoffs because Michael Morse is dinged up. Ishikawa misplayed the ball and has a weak arm to boot. The Royals know it and Jirschele knew it. Cain is fast, but credit to Mike Jirschele for giving him the full-on go sign without hesitation.

6. donkeypunch says:

GH sed:

donkeypunch sez:
    The Royals flew to California the night after the Oakland win. How’d that work out for them?

7. Greg says:

Scott Miller, @ScottMillerBbl, Twitter

Greg, tune on MLB Network today at 2:00 or 3:00 pm. You will see why a workout is a great idea. Outfield has tremendous nooks and crannies, especially in right field. I don’t think anyone on the Royals has much, if any, experience in AT&T Park in San Francisco.

8. ksudenny says:

Don’t they wear their KU gear because they don’t buy any thing but KU gear? I’ll admit I was trying to get under Dick Heads skin with the trivial comment, must have touched a few others nerves as well. Do you have actual numbers of the % of season ticket holders that are KU fans? Aren’t there also T-Shirt fans that proclaim they root for KSU Football during football season and KU B-Ball during Basketball season? Shouldn’t those season ticket holders also be considered KSU fans as well? I mean if we are gonna include those that only root for teams that win. Also to be specific the Blue comes from Mr. K’s admiration for the Dodgers back when the Royals were just being born.

Really?! Royals just evened the series and the debate is about KU versus KSU fans and who buys the most season tickets, how long March madness lasts and how big KU’s national Championships are?

I’m a giant KU fan. At the moment, I don’t give 2 shits about KU. This is the World-fucking-Series! An entire city is united and pulling for the boys in blue. Well, apparently everyone besides those that can’t stop giving their universities a tongue bath long enough to enjoy it.

10. Java Man says:

You nailed it, Jim.

So excited to see the toughness of the Royals. Down 1-0, Ventura didn’t panic. Nor did the offense, tying the game minutes later. Was neat to see the players rally behind Perez. Moustakis’ laser single to center right after the incident almost seemed vindictive.

Strickland clearly called Perez “boy”. That probably didn’t go over too well in the Royals clubhouse.

12. FJH says:

If the Royals had to lose one of these home games, I am glad that it was Game 2. It showed that they have the resiliency to bounce back from a loss – something that they have not had to do the entire playoffs. They also had the pressure of a “must win” game, and handled it. They will likely lose another game (or two), but they have shown that they will not quit or rest on their laurels. For the first time, I am starting to think that they might win this.

13. mike says:

Greg you forgot to bash Denny today. How about some “Fire Ned Yost” banter?

Speaking of Denny, I know he has been extremely bland over the past few years and has not pushed up the excitement meter much even in the playoffs. But I must say, his call of the pennant clinching 9th inning was outstanding. He let the crowd do most of the talking and he actually did show come excitement on the final out. Anyone who has not heard it needs to:

14. Say What? says:

I turned on 610 on the day of ALCS Game 4 as I was driving to the stadium and Danny Parkins was telling the audience about how nobody really likes baseball. His point was that his relatives and friends were now calling him to talk about baseball.

I turned on 610 again this morning and Bob Fescoe is telling the audience about how boring the game of baseball is but that the Royals are making it exciting.

Does anyone in management at that station listen to the broadcasts as their hosts shit on the product they pay to air?

• The Word says:

Parkins is like Whitlock and many others I saw on local messege boards in the early ’00’s. Guys who wanted to see the Royals move or fold so that their beloved NBA can come to town.

The NBA is still a distant third to MLB in popularity in this county. And that won’t change for a while if ever. Yet, guys like Parkins in the Spring talk about it as though it’s still 1987 and Magic and Larry are still playing.

Guys like Fescoe think baseball is boring. Yet, my guess is they talked a lot over the Summer about 0-0 World Cup games. Nothing is wrong in baseball. It’s just a shame they don’t see that.

• Juan Pablo says:

The Word says:The NBA is still a distant third to MLB in popularity in this county. And that won’t change for a while if ever. Yet,

The Word must be old and living in the past.
        Over the last 30 years, the NBA has gone from registering a mere blip on MLB’s radar and drawing just half the numbers of their baseball brethren to seeing the NBA Finals pass the World Series in average ratings.

For 4 straight years and 5 out of the last 6, the NBA has beat MLB for their championship series. Sure there are plenty of theories for MLB’s declining ratings. The audiences are getting older and baseball is struggling with younger fans.

15. Frank says:

Every sport is pretty much boring if you don’t have someone to root for. I suspect not many people her in KC that didn’t have a fantasy team cared much about the NFL 2 years ago. As for Danny Parkins, Bob Fescoe and the rest of the LOCAL sports media, the could probably die and nobody would give a shit

16. keitzman wants an intern says:

I like Soren but his tweet thanking the ripoff ticket brokers because him and his cohorts get free seats in return for advertising their services – is just advertising and not very genuine.
    I’d say thanks too if I got hard to get tix for nothing!
    These radio guys get entertainment for free, or use credentials to get on the field for photo bomb opportunities ( Bob Fescoe ) is always posting pics of himself with that shit eating smirk photobombing famous athletes.
    These guys would not know the upper deck of a sports venue as they are first 10 row, suite loving F%*# ers.

• Joe Blow says:

Nate Bukaty, 810 AM

Things like this?

17. RickM says:

Can we please rein in the rhetoric about the Series bringing the city together? Of course, those of us who frequent this site are pumped, but anyone who seriously believes that has a very one-dimensional view of this town.

Think the 500 – and counting – former Sprint employees who’ve been laid off still have Royals Fever? How about those who have long-term unemployment issues or – on the other side of the spectrum – those who work two or three jobs to make ends meet. Think the underpaid fast-food workers here are being any less exploited just because of the post-season?

As fans, we can only take a second-hand pleasure in seeing our team get this far, but the fact is the only entities that directly benefit from this include those employed by the Royals organization, its parasitic media cheerleaders and a few retailers like Kansas Sampler and McFaddens and a few other sports bars. Nearly everyone else either doesn’t have the interest or the luxury of following a team since Spring Training.

Sure, WE’RE excited as we should be, but there’s a whole stratum across the metro that doesn’t – or can’t – join the party. With all this talk about uniting the city, please keep a little perspective.