OTC: That Dent In My Couch Is About To Get Some Time To Heal Itself

My Off The Couch column and the comments section that follows each column has always been a source of pride. I enjoyed the chance to share my thoughts with those who bothered to read my work. I write with a pointed opinion and I expected nothing less from those readers who agreed or disagreed with my stance on a subject.

The comments from readers – both pro and con – were just as entertaining for me and many of my readers.

Somewhere along the way that changed.

Instead of attracting intelligent, passionate and humorous repartee, my OTC column comments section has recently devolved into mostly immature blather. It just is not something with which I or my column wants to be associated. There are plenty of websites that welcome drivel – and even mine can handle some. But this constant deluge of dunces embarrasses me.

I am not much of a proponent of censoring those who read my work so shutting down the comments or blocking particular contributors is not an option. It might simply be time to move on.

There are a number of other writing projects I have wanted to spend more time on and this appears to be as good a time as any. I will continue to be active on Twitter and even occasionally post here on this website. But for now it appears time for me to get off the couch.

and Twitter @greghall24

164 Responses to OTC: That Dent In My Couch Is About To Get Some Time To Heal Itself

1. TomiiTom says:

I remember once that you wrote that listeners should not be confused with callers because listeners make up 99% of the audience and callers were the semi-listenable 1%, Kenny Kenny notwithstanding. Hope you keep churning out some good stuff and don’t let the minority run you off.

2. Gassedup says:

I am frustrated that this is no longer available. I am with the others that are encouraging the use of the facebook sign in that would ultimately ratchet down the bull sh*t.

3. weaponized_flatulence says:

Just block all d-bag Mizzou supporters from comments.

Problem solved.

4. Notme says:

Bah, I say

5. DanTheMan says:

Hoping to see a return at some point! I sure enjoy the column and the commentary. This news sucks.

6. Stringer Pete says:

As someone who infrequently commented but read every day, I am definitely going to miss Greg’s briefings on the local sports scene. If this is the end, thanks for all the work to make it happen.

7. Herb says:

This reminds me of the time Leawood John quit KCFORUM.

8. Java Man says:

Comments? Seriously? Okay, that sucks. Not Sportswave closing shop suckage, but still sucks.

9. Kerouac says:

Have enjoyed ‘commenting on the comments’ others (those whom ‘you’ quote) on your website… those who cannot accept another bloggers comments sans name-calling is indeed an problem. That said, gleaning info and having access to said otherwise unable gather myself is/was quite beneficial.

Best of luck to you, in your future endeavors… Kerouac will continue to visit & comment here whenever/if ever the forum/opportunity presents.

:-)

10. skip says:

going to miss OTC fixx

11. Monkeyhawk says:

I’ve come to rely on you to listen to sports-talk radio so I don’t have to. I realize it takes a lot of work and time and effort to keep up a blog, but don’t let the assholes ruin it for us.

12. Kansas Marine says:

Hate to see you go, Greg. I’ve grown to enjoy this page and your weekly takes, as well as a local media personality willing to take on KK. Hope to read (or hear) from you elsewhere.

13. Notme says:

Wait, now I have to actually listen to Fescoe to stay up to date with how retarded he is?

• Notme says:

Btw, at first I thought Greg was overreacting, but I just re-read the last few days of columns and holy crap. Whoever is doing the “[reply to name]’s anus” shit should go die in a fire.

14. Say What? says:

I will miss your column and I always liked the comments section. I like talking about the local sports media goofs and this was really the only place you could find that.

15. Ptolemy says:

I’ve long enjoyed GH’s work here and elsewhere and personally approached the Comments section (here and elsewhere) as I enjoy trips to the zoo — I go to learn by watching the animals but I am entertained as well (sometimes moreso) by the humans trying to get a reaction from the animals. It makes life more interesting.

But I certainly understand others not being entertained in that manner. Good luck GH in your future pursuits.

16. January says:

Sorry to see you go. I certainly hope you return someday.

17. R.H. says:

Greg, I support you in what ever direction you pursue. I have appreciated your honesty and thoughts about what goes on in Kansas City with respects to sports. From Neilbonics to Johnny Renshaw, the radio spiel between Whitlock, Keitzman, and Don Fortune, the Royals finally putting a smile on everyone faces, and the Chiefs fans rocking Arrowhead once again.

It’s been a long ride from the old Platte County Landmark where I stumbled upon reading you for the first time a little over a decade ago. It wasn’t cracking a smile or reading with fascination of the foibles that went on, but I grew to appreciate that covering sports isn’t an easy job and paying attention to what’s being said and questioning it.

I have a disdain for how people use the comment sections. They are for conversation, sometimes to kneedle and poke fun, the other to flesh out what we’re seeing, reading, and hearing every day. Many people, sadly, has resorted to using online sites and comments sections as personal mouthpiece cesspools. Will it end? I hope so…That effort will have to come from all of us to make it better online.

The couch may now have time to heal itself….but the pavement doesn’t…as long as you’re on it, doing what you love…running.

Tip of the hat to you Greg.

@RHS76

18. KCMonarch says:

I knew nothing good would ever come from that mone to JoCo.

19. Rosco says:

Godspeed on your journey.

20. TiberiusGracchus says:

Greg, I know that your a twitter fan, but doesn’t 140 characters sort of limit the depth to which ideas can be explored in any sort of cogent manner?