OTC: The KC Royals Have Become Cool Enough For The Country To Care

“I have a feeling this is going to be a seven-game classic. I would say the Royals in seven.” Rany Jazayerli, of ranyontheroyals.com, when asked his opinion of the Royals/Orioles ALCS, by Soren Petro, 810 AM
GH: CBS Sports’ MLB writer Dayn Perry broke down the two clubs’ lineups and came away with his take on what team had the advantage at each position. I found it an interesting read of one analyst’s opinion. Here are some excerpts from his column.

“As for (Eric) Hosmer, his standout performance in the ALDS is noted, but he has been a very disappointing hitter over the remainder of his career. It’s within the realm of possibility that he has suddenly figured it all out, but the more likely explanation is that his success against the Angels was the residue of a small sample size. Obviously, Hosmer has a higher ceiling than (Steve) Pearce, but Pearce is the better player right now.”
Dayn Perry, MLB writer, comparing the two ALCS team’s first basemen, CBSsports.com GH: I understand Perry’s thinking here but he is mistaken when he added the phrase, “Pearce is the better player right now.” Right now, there isn’t a better player on the planet than Eric Hosmer. He is picking everything that comes his way at first base and he is hitting like he plays for the Detroit Tigers. I like Hos over Perry in Baltimore. This matchup will be fun to watch.

“Moustakas, once a consensus top-10 overall prospect, has never lived up to the press clippings, and he’s pretty much no better than the kind of third baseman you can scare up in a pinch. Flaherty, as it turns out, is factually the kind of third baseman you can scare up in a pinch, as he has taken over the position following the season-ending injury to Manny Machado and then the 25-game suspension of Chris Davis. There’s no doubt that Moustakas should be better than Flaherty, but, well, he’s not.”
Dayn Perry, MLB writer, comparing the two ALCS team’s third basemen, CBSsports.com GH: Hard to argue this one. I know Moose has a couple of postseason homers and he looks like he might have figured something out but he is not someone I expect anything from at the plate. When he does succeed it is always a surprise. Even his usually stellar defense went south the last month of the season. But if Moose is able to hit for power in the nine spot against the O’s, the birds are in trouble.

“Not a difficult call (for the edge in manager). Yost is relentlessly uncreative and inefficient with his relief decisions, while Showalter is maybe the best staff manager in the game today. Yost’s postseason reliance on ‘small ball tactics,’ which are occasionally called for but self-defeating when used to excess, are another concern. Tactically, Showalter towers over Yost.”
Dayn Perry, MLB writer, CBSsports.com
GH: Perry’s pick of Showalter over Yost did not surprise me as he gave the Orioles a significant edge over Yost’s Royals in the manager category. The two of Perry’s picks that did surprise me were calling the two ALCS teams “even” when it came to defense and bullpen. As Amy Poehler and Seth Meyers would say, ‘Really?’”

“The Royals someway, unbelievable, remarkably have become cool.”
Kevin Kietzman, 810 AM
GH: Who would have thunk it? Not much more than a month or two ago the Royals were threatening to again stumble into the fall with another woulda-coulda-shoulda season behind them and talk of next year being their tear. But Detroit, Oakland and Seattle were the teams that faltered and flamed out and it was the Royals who survived and somehow outlasted Jon Lester and the A’s in a 9-8 win – that still seems so remarkable it is difficult to believe that final score. Here is another hard-to-believe tale – the New York Times sent a reporter to Kansas City to drive between KC and St. Louis and document his trip and what Missourians are thinking and saying about the Royals and Cardinals chances in the postseason. Kansas City Cool just might become part of our nation’s lexicon.

“Before I started my trip, I had consulted The New York Times’s map of fan allegiances. Red, of course, represented Cardinals rooters; blue, Royals fans. And Missouri was so predominantly red, it looked as if the blue parts were being shoved into Kansas.”
Tim Rohan, writer, who wrote a story documenting his road trip from Kansas City’s Kauffman Stadium to St. Louis’ Busch Stadium and the Royals and Cardinals fans he encountered along the way, New York Times
GH: The Cardinals have owned Missouri’s baseball fans since they were first known as the Brown Stockings in the late 1800s. Their 11 World Series titles to KC’s one solidifies why their fan base rules the Show-Me State. Rohan’s trip uncovered some of what makes the Cardinals fans numerous and resented by others.

“Columbia is the midway point between Kansas City and St. Louis and is the home of the University of Missouri. On the Times map, it is Cardinals territory. Sure enough, at Booches, a local pub, the bartender wore a Cardinals T-shirt. And while there some Cardinals pictures on the wall, there were none of the Royals. Down the street, the man behind the counter at Shakespeare’s Pizza wore a Cardinals hat, although he noted that he had ‘seen a lot of brand-new Royals hats lately.’”
Tim Rohan, writer, New York Times
GH: Two of those “brand-new” Royals shirts seen around Mizzou’s campus belong to my son who received a CARE package from home yesterday with some new Royals gear. He tells us he is outnumbered by Cardinals fans about 20 to 1 on campus.

“The @Cardinals vs. @Royals World Series NEEDS to happen. No one outside the state lines would care, but Missouri would be insane.”
@TJMoe28, Twitter

“On the (MU) campus, a doctoral student and Kansas City native named John Kennedy was wearing a Royals shirt. He said he had been at Sunday night’s division clincher in Kansas City and planned to attend A.L.C.S. games next week. In the past, he said, Cardinals fans he knew had not lorded it over him, and in recent days, he said, they had been texting him, telling him how happy they were for him and his Royals. (Try that out, Mets and Yankees fans.)”
Tim Rohan, writer, New York Times
GH: As I suspected, not all Cardinals fans are arrogant pieces of inbred Nebraska football and Kansas basketball fans as Mike DeArmond so eloquently put it years ago. But some are a little harder to live with – read on.

“Moments later, a young woman in a Cardinals shirt walked by. Her name was Anna Hormberg, and she said she was a senior from St. Louis. She had been at the World Series-clinching games for the Cardinals in 2006 and 2011 and said that Royals fans were, well, harmless. ‘We’ll see how they are when the games get competitive,’ she added.”
Tim Rohan, writer, New York Times

“My honest opinion? I don’t care until the N.L.C.S. I enjoy watching the games, but if I had other plans tonight, I would be doing something else (besides watching the Dodgers/Cardinals game). We’ve been there so much. It’s about winning the World Series.”
Chris Wirkus, a Cardinals fan in the St. Louis suburb of Wildwood, MO, when asked his opinion of the Cards/Dodgers game that evening, New York Times GH: Geez. There is no way to dress that comment up to make it even appear to be anything less than jack-assery.

“St. Louis is not a good sports town! It is a terrible sports town! It lucked into winning a lot of (World Series) championships. St. Louis isn’t even Milwaukee. They are terrible. They have a terrible overinflated sense of self. They’re lucky.”
Danny Parkins, a Chicago native, on his disdain for everything and anything St. Louis, 610 AM
GH: Parkins is a somewhat long-suffering Cubs fan in that the Cubs have done next to nothing during his short life and the hated Cardinals have done so much at least one of their fans doesn’t even care until the World Series. Parkins hate for everything St. Louis is real and it is ugly. It is also immature and kind of funny. I do not happen to share any of his hate for the eastern side of this state but there are those – like Kevin Kietzman – who also detest St. Louis. I guess the two afternoon drive talk show hosts have at least that in common.

“Why can’t I be proud of Kansas City and to be from Kansas City and not have a problem with St. Louis?”
Carrington Harrison, a Kansas City native, 610 AM
GH: I second that mature response from Parkins’ partner. It isn’t about them, it’s about us. Go Royals.

“As unscientific as my little survey was, you couldn’t help detecting the difference between Royals happiness, and gratitude, and Cardinals confidence.”
Tim Rohan, writer, New York Times
GH: Let’s hope it happens – just like it happened in 1985.

[email protected] and @greghall24

72 Responses to OTC: The KC Royals Have Become Cool Enough For The Country To Care

1. Jeff Gelski says:

The St. Louis Brown Stockings played in St. Louis in the late 1800s, but I do not believe they were in any way associated with today’s Cardinals — http://www.baseballchronology.com/baseball/leagues/National_Association/St._Louis_Browns/

• The Word says:

Maybe he meant the Browns. Who the Royals play on Friday.

• Matt says:

The St. Louis Brown Stockings from the original National League in 1876 are NOT the current Cardinals. That team was only around two seasons. The league folded after 1880.

1882 a new National League was formed and a new St. Louis team of the same name, the Brown Stockings, were formed. In 1883, they dropped “stockings” from their name and were the Browns until 1898. In 1899, the changed their name to the “Perfectos” for one season. In 1900, they adopted the nickname “Cardinals.”

• Matt says:

More…

St. Louis has 3 teams recognized by MLB as actual official teams that are now “defunct.”

Brown Stockings (1876 – 1877) (National League)
      Maroons (1884 – 1886) (National League)
      Terriers (1914 – 1915) (Federal League)

• Matt says:

The Brown Stockings from 1875 are not recognized as an official “Major League” team due to their association with the “National Association” league. No team from the NA has ever been considered or recognized by MLB today as an official “Major League” team.

And playing in what is now the AL or NL isn’t the qualifier, as MLB recognizes the Federal League.

• AaronB4Mizzou says:

The team from 1876 did in fact fold after two seasons. No major league baseball until the Brown Stockings (Browns) appeared again in I think 1882. That team played in the American Association, which was considered a major league, although one just a bit below the NL of the day. That Browns team, owned by beer baron Chris Von der Ahe, was really good, winning multiple league titles. Von der Ahe was also a bit of showman, kind of a pioneering Bill Veeck.

1892 saw a merger of the AA & the NL. The Browns, still owned by Van der Ahe, joined the NL, where they have remained to this day. The Cards officially recognize this joining of the NL in 1892 as their start up date. They don’t count the record of the AA Browns even though it is technically the same franchise.

The franchise toiled in the 2cd division for years, often finishing last or close to it. It wasn’t until the 1920’s that the team broke through. By then, Branch Rickey, who’d been cast aside from the American League Brown’s, finally got things rolling behind Rogers Hornsby’s great bat. The Cards won it all in 1926, their first. This began a run of solid success for the Cards, in which they went from 1918 until 1990 without a last place finish.

2. Greg says:

Before anyone else talks about it let’s relive exactly what happened in the ninth inning of Game 6 (yes Game 6) in 1985. By the way, STL lost game 7 by an 11-0 complete game shutout by Bret Saberhagen.

Jorge Orta leads off and gets called safe. Steve Balboni is next and he hits a foul pop up that Jack Clark misplays and lets hit the warning track in front of the dugout. Given new life, Balboni singles Orta to 2nd Base. Onix Concepcion runs for Balboni. Jim Sundberg attempts to sacrifice the runners to 2nd and 3rd and does not. I repeat he does not. Orta gets thrown out at third. Now Concepcion is at 2nd and Sundberg is at 1st with one out. Hal McRae pinch hits. On I believe the first or second pitch, Todd Worrell crosses up Darrell Porter who lets the pitch go back to the screen and the runners get to 2nd and 3rd without a sacrifice. McRae is then intentionally walked to load the bases with one out. Dane Iorg pinch hits, singles, and the rest is history.

Jorge Orta being declared safe did not lose that game as much as Jack Clark stumbling after a foul ball and the passed ball.

And the Cardinals still came out and got shut out in Game 7.

If a shill can be eloquent……..I guess that’s DeArmond.

Don’t give a damn WHO the Royals in the WS. Just get there! Go Royals!

4. Cale says:

KiKI hates all things STL – unless you’re a brewery located in that city that puts money in his coffers, then he’ll pimp you every change he gets (ahem, Bud Light).

5. Cale says:

CHANCE he gets

6. eric says:

An I-70 series would be great for the cities but horrible for me. I was born in KC, raised in STL and moved back to KC in 96. I grew up a huge Cardinals fan and am now a huge Royals fan. I don’t know that I could watch the series. It would be like watching my kids fight.

7. Joe Blow says:

Cardinals fans are patronizing dicks, that’s why people don’t like them. It’s easy to be a “fan” of a team when they’ve won a lot recently.

Of course, there are also those idiots around the area that “Root for the Cardinals first, but the Royals second.” Or “Root for the Jayhawks first, but the Tigers second.”

• KCPRGuy1 says:

So what does the fan rule book tell you to do if you spent first 21 years of your life in STL and next 21 in KC. Who am I supposed to root for? Please help an idiot out.

• Joe Blow says:

If you grew up in STL, you’re a Cardinals fan.

• RickM says:

“If you grew up in STL, you’re a Cardinals fan.”

So you can change spouses, change churches, even change genders if you’ve got the $$$, but you’re locked into rooting for the team from the city that you were born in for life. Sorry, not buying it.

If there’s another Royals-Cards Series, the baseball gods are truly angry with us.

8. Kyle R says:

Clicked the NYT story link expecting a great story and didn’t really get it – not much of a perspective/story for flying somebody all the way to KC and having them drive all the way across the state.

As far as Danny Parkins, he’s a typical Chicago sports fan feeling so superior over Milwaukee and St. Louis both, even if the Cubs haven’t won since 1908 and Bears fans hang onto 1985 like it was last week. Milwaukee is a far better sports town than Chicago, per capita, as is St. Louis.

• Joe Blow says:

Out of all the stadiums I’ve visited as a Royals fan, Milwaukee fans were, by FAR, the biggest assholes.

• Kyle R says:

Sorry that happened Joe – that surprises me since Milwaukee has zero reason to hate the Royals. Wouldn’t surprise me if you’d been wearing Cubs/Cards stuff. I should clarify – WI fans are awesome about supporting their own teams but hit/miss about being good to the opposition. When my wife and I (she’s a Husker) went to the first Nebraska vs. Wisconsin game in 2011, a lot of stupid crap got yelled at her and I was embarrassed by it. My home state can definitely do better.

• The Word says:

Sounds like KC fans then. Before this year most Royals fans hung on to 1985 like it was last week as well.

And don’t get me started with the Chiefs. During their local broadcast how many times to you hear the phrase, “65 toss power trap”?

9. Joe Blow says:

By the way,

Talking shit about Ned Yost? Check.
    Using multiple, extensive quotes by one guy to talk shit on the Royals? Check.
    Pretending like Rany has any credibility? Check.

Looks like it’s another ALCS week OTC update!

10. JimmyD says:

Can we do away with the ’85 stuff Greg? I’m a huge Royals fan but this year is something entirely new and exciting. All this ’85 nostalgia is starting to make me sick. And people going to the games: Please don’t hold up any more clever 1985 signs. It reeks

• mike t. says:

really. +1.

and if we do meet the Cards in the WS… good lord save us from being even more inundated with it.

11. Kyle says:

I have already seen an I-70 series and don’t need to again. Go Royals and Giants! So sick of STL. When it comes to a state, Kauffman stadium is in Missouri, but the Royals are Kansas’ team. Look at the maps any time there is a Sports Nation poll on ESPN. Kansas is about 90% pro-Royals, where Missouri is 75-80% STL. Even Nebraska is more pro-KC than Missouri. Once you get about 50 miles East of the KC metro, the Cardinals sadly take over.

• The Independent Rage says:

Let’s just refer to that as the Higginsville Line, running along Highway 13 — a line of fixed fortifications, obstacles and booby traps designed to keep guys like us out of the east.

• b12 says:

@Rage. Minor quibble on the line of demarcation. I’d say it’s 65, not 13. Marshall, Concordia, etc…is Royals country. It’s that black hole Sedalia that has a Cardinals radio affiliate.

• Guy Who Says What Others Think says:

For the record, St Joseph MO has a Cardinal affiliate as well. 1550 AM if I remember correctly.

• The Independent Rage says:

You could be right. All I know is that anytime I ever tried to shack up at the old Camelot motel joint at the Higginsville exit (regardless of owner), bad things ensued. I don’t go there or east of there no more. Life’s Too Short.

• Alphonse Tooty says:

This is the Jayhawk battle cry. The Royals are “our” team. The Cardinals are “their” team. Sure the Cardinals have more fans. The Royals have only been in existence 45 years compared to StL’s 100+. But they are both Missouri teams and both have plenty of fans.

Not a Jayhawk thing at all. Just talking about support. There is way more support in Kansas than there is in Missouri for the Royals. If you think it’s even close in Missouri between the Royals and Cardinals you are kidding yourself.

• Alphonse Tooty says:

Considering there are twice as many people in Missouri than in Kansas, I’d say it would be reasonable to think there are as many Royals fans in Missouri as there are in Kansas. Nobody would try to argue the Royals have as many fans as the Cards. I believe I addressed that in my first response.

• Joe Blow says:

There are like 4 people that live in Kansas.

• Fred Flintstone says:

Wow ‘Phonse, and you accuse me of always having Missourah on my mind. Pot, meet kettle.

12. The Independent Rage says:

So there is a “kind of third baseman you can scare up in a pinch”? I thought that was the debunked myth of the Third Baseman Tree? But if that tree is real and happens to be located anywhere near Columbia, then I hope its owners are helping the tree get its eats on with some of them little Booches burgers (regardless of the rags on the barkeep’s backside). Mr. Booch doesn’t keep the tidiest of joints, but he sure makes a mean meat patty.

13. randyraley says:

As a resident of both cities and a baseball fan, I’m not sure I won’t a repeat of 1985 either,. There are Cardinals fans and then THOSE Cardinal fans who can’t (or won’t) give up “the call” (some I’ve had to unfriend on facebook). I will bet that MOST Cardinal fans are thrilled about KC representing in the AL. Everyone I’ve talked to is. It was nice being at a bar in KC when the Cardinals clinched the playoffs and hearing Royals fans cheer. There are ALWAYS going to be “entitled” Redbird fans and they are in a minority and give the rest of us a bad name . Kinda like Juan Pablo and his “entitled” KU posts. I say we all just enjoy the show. Sorry you’re sick of St. Louis but being in the NLCS four years in a row is quite the accomplishment and I’m proud of the team for that. Not a big pay-roll and most players are home grown…hey kinda like what the Royals have done, no?

14. Fred Flintstone says:

Agree wholeheartedly with you Kyle.
    It’ll be great when the voters of Jackson County vote down another stadium renovation that the Clarks will ask for in order to solidify a Super Bowl bid. The Clarks will go where everybody else has gone, to the great state of Kansas, and Kansan’s will build a new sports complex at the Legends and Kansas City will have it’s Super Bowl, and Final Fours, and concerts out the ass that may make the Sprint Center look like Kemper Arena. Then Kansas City Missouri can go ahead and dry up and blow away….unless the Cerner boys come in to save it for themselves. How many vacant properties/buildings/parking lots can they own?

• Joe Blow says:

Kansas City has nice things in *spite* of the state of Kansas. They never help at all.

• Fred Flintstone says:

Hey Blow, ask yourself this:
        IF the stadiums do at some point get moved to The Legends in Kansas, and the state of Kansas asked Missourahun’s to “help out,” would you? Of course not.

By the way, Kansas DID help Missourah out with the Bi-Stae tax for the renovation of Union Station, so your “never help at all” statement is false.

Last week while tailgating and attending the Wild Card game at The K, we counted the license plates (Premium Parking Lot M) from Kansas and very unscientifically found that the Kansas plates at least doubled the Missourah plates. And the list of “other states” plus Missourah plates didn’t equal the Kansas plates. Those cars in Lot M are all season ticket holders, the base of fandom for the Royals. Without Kansas, there would be no Royals or Chiefs, or Sporting KC, in Kansas City.

• Joe Blow says:

It will never happen. The only part of Kansas City that really matters is in Missouri. The only reason the KS suburbs exist is because of KCMO. A strip mall and a NASCAR track don’t really signal the apex of a city..

• Alphonse Tooty says:

Here we go. Fred’s inferiority complex (or is it small penis syndrome?) once again on display. He needs to tear somebody else down in order to build himself up. You’re dreaming, by the way, Fred. Never gonna happen.

• Fred Flintstone says:

Please leave my penis out of any of your discussions ‘Phonse.
        I’m not gay (not that there’s anything wrong with that) and I won’t be hit on, by the likes of you.

15. Fred Flintstone says:

And you keep on whistling through that graveyard ‘Phonse.

16. Kyle says:

I love Kansas City, Missouri and could care less which side of the state line the teams are on. In fact, the state of Missouri is actually pretty cool with the exception of the stain in the middle.

17. Arte says:

By the way, the Baltimore Orioles are an original St. Louis team. They were the Browns before moving to Baltimore in 1954. Also I-70 goes to Baltimore. So this is the only I-70 series I need. I’d much rather watch Hosmer try to smack some shots into McCovey’s Cove inthe World Series.

18. FJH says:

I am pretty sure that the Royals are playing the Orioles (and the Cardinals are playing the Giants) next.

19. Juan Pablo says:

You ever notice people hate fans of teams like St. Louis Cardinals and KU. People must hate teams that win all the time.

20. Can't spell SUCK without ku says:

kansas fan: “I love the Royals but the jay hocks have practice Friday night. What am I going to do?”

Fact: kansas fan is the biggest jock sniffing, front running, sore loser, bandwagon comebreath pussy in the history of sports.

• FJH says:

If you are going to troll KU fans, a little subtlety might help. The idea behind trolling is to get the fans of a particular team upset, without them knowing that that is your goal. Subtlety.

• Fred Flintstone says:

And, the “jay hocks” will have more people at THAT practice, than there will be at MU’s first 3 real basketball games this season.

Plus about 13, 5 Star (for MU fan’s, those are prized recruits that all the big name schools desire) recruits that will want to see what a FULL Allen Field House looks like.

BTW, KU has promised to show updates from the Royals game during Late Night, since the biggest part of the Royals fan base are also KU fans.

• Fred is gay says:

While the rest of the country gets ready for another football Saturday you will be watching basketball practice. You know what? That makes you a LOSER.

• FJH says:

Let me get this straight, everyone in the country (besides KU fans) participates in “football Saturday”? Anyone who prefers basketball over football is a loser? It’s really hard to argue with your presentation, and support, of these facts.

• Juan Pablo says:

MU football season is already over, they lost at home to Indiana, All MU can do now is go to some meaningless lower tier bowl game that MU fans will not go to.

• Alphonse Tooty says:

It’s still baseball season. Football season is just getting good. LOL @ Fred. #YabbaDabbaDUH